Egg Shaped Ball at top of Cab Views

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Is anyone else noticing the distorted overly stretched egg-shaped ball at the top of the cab view. It looks like whatever algorithm they are using to give the table depth at the top of the table is also being applied to the ball and it looks unatural. I seem to recall Visual Pinball having this same issue when 'Layback' was first added (and maybe Future Pinball too), and the developers did something to fix it in VP at least.

Anyone else noticing it?

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
I am noticing this as well. With some views it is worse than others. The cabinet views are great but the egg-shaped ball at the top of the screen needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Maybe I am crazy but the ball at the bottom of the screen seems to be a little too small as well. It looks like maybe it is being compressed rather than stretched like at the top of the cabinet. Can someone from FarSight acknowledge if you are aware of the issue and are addressing it? Thanks.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
I think that the cabinet views are subtly stretched and moved to make the 3 '3D' cabinet views possible. That's why nobody was able to achieve these views with the free camera mod. I think the ball changing shape is a side effect of that.

I can't speak for Farsight but I think this is working as intended.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I think that the cabinet views are subtly stretched and moved to make the 3 '3D' cabinet views possible. That's why nobody was able to achieve these views with the free camera mod. I think the ball changing shape is a side effect of that.

Yes I think that is the reason why, and I think that is what happened in VP as well, until the developers changed the rendering of the ball to composite for it. Hopefully an easy fix for Farsight. It is surprising that Arcooda didn't notice it or raise it as an issue. Surely playing this in a full-size cabinet it would stand out like a sore thumb.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I am noticing this as well. With some views it is worse than others. The cabinet views are great but the egg-shaped ball at the top of the screen needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Maybe I am crazy but the ball at the bottom of the screen seems to be a little too small as well. It looks like maybe it is being compressed rather than stretched like at the top of the cabinet. Can someone from FarSight acknowledge if you are aware of the issue and are addressing it? Thanks.

Yes the ball does also seem to be marble-like at the bottom.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Pro Pinball's cabinet view does this as well.

Yes that is true although it isn't as extreme. Those guys were told about it plus a few other issues but they disappeared of the face of the earth and didn't fullfill many of their kickstarter awards which was a shame.

Having just paid $150 for this Arcooda support I hope they can sort these things out - Pinballs are round in real life :)

Last edited:

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013

Which table specifically? Some tables had to be stretched or shrunk to fix within the display such as Genie which is a Wide body pinball table vs Safe cracker which is smaller than your average size table.

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Which table specifically? Some tables had to be stretched or shrunk to fix within the display such as Genie which is a Wide body pinball table vs Safe cracker which is smaller than your average size table.

For me it is happening on every table for camera views 1-3. It isn't just the ball though. Drop targets and pop bumpers are stretched out as well.

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
FlippyFloppy, have you been able to recreate this issue of the ball and playfield being stretched in the 3 '3D' cabinet views? It is happening on all the tables for me. I am running cabinet mode on a 27" 16x9 monitor. I know the game is designed to be played on a much bigger display so could this be part of the problem? Someone also experiencing this issue posted in the main thread a request that you add a "preserve aspect ratio" option on the settings screen. Is this something that can be done and would it fix the issue?

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
For me I am just seeing this basically on “Genie”. This is running on a cab with a 32” playfield.
Thanks vpfcoder. Not sure why the playfield is stretching for some of us and not others. It is really bad though. As you get toward the top of the playfield pop bumpers start looking like tall mushrooms and banks of drop targets look like the Green Monster at Fenway Park. And pinballs are egg shaped.

FlippyFloppy, any idea what is going on?

Last edited:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
For me the stretching in the top half of the playfield looks good when viewing the playfield at at angle that you would view it in a real cab (ie: what it's designed for) From what I understand the stretching is there to create an illusion of depth when viewed from a standing at a cab angle. The issue (for me at least) is the ball is also being stretched so it looks like an egg. If that was excluded from the stretching it would be ok (that might not be the case for others of course).

Edit : I get the egg on all tables in the 3D views

Last edited:

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
For me the stretching in the top half of the playfield looks good when viewing the playfield at at angle that you would view it in a real cab (ie: what it's designed for) From what I understand the stretching is there to create an illusion of depth when viewed from a standing at a cab angle. The issue (for me at least) is the ball is also being stretched so it looks like an egg. If that was excluded from the stretching it would be ok (that might not be the case for others of course).

Edit : I get the egg on all tables in the 3D views

I angled my monitor to view the playfield as if I was playing it in a real cab and I have to agree that the 3-D views look quite good when viewed from that perspective. After playing now on more tables I am getting used to the new views. Views 1 and 4 work really well for me. If FarSight can get rid of the egg-ball I will be golden.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I angled my monitor to view the playfield as if I was playing it in a real cab and I have to agree that the 3-D views look quite good when viewed from that perspective. After playing now on more tables I am getting used to the new views. Views 1 and 4 work really well for me. If FarSight can get rid of the egg-ball I will be golden.

Can you send me a screenshot of what your cabinet configuration is set to? I'll try that and see if we can reproduce it here.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Here are mine as well in case it helps:

In this test I was using the 3-screen setup but placing the DMD on top of the backglass.

config_dx11.png

config_cab.png

bigshot_egg.png

space2_egg.png

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Here are mine as well in case it helps:

In this test I was using the 3-screen setup but placing the DMD on top of the backglass.

config_dx11.png

config_cab.png

bigshot_egg.png

space2_egg.png

SilverBalls. Thank you very much for sending your screenshots of the egg-ball.

FlippyFloppy. This is exactly the same ball I am seeing when playing in cabinet mode. These screenshots are probably from camera view # 3 which distorts the ball the most.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.