Would this PC be sufficient for a TPA/MAME machine?

CheeseUM98

Sep 7, 2012
Hello, all. Relatively new here, most TPA gaming has been on iOS, some on Xbox, but was always interested in building a cabinet for digital pinball, and saw this Arcooda option possibly the easiest one out there. Biggest hurdle for me is that I do not have a PC, have been in Apple land for quite some time. I was searching around for possibly an older PC to run TPA from Steam with the Arcooda unlock key, and most likely double as a MAME arcade cabinet as well. I came across someone selling a Republic of Gamers G20AJ, with:

Intel 4790 CPU
Nvida GTX 960
8 GB ram
1TB SSHD hybrid hard drive.

I more than likely wouldn't do any serious PC gaming, would basically just run it as a dedicated TPA/MAME machine.
I have never been much of a PC gamer and don't know much about putting a decent machine together.

In your opinion, does it sound like this would run cabinet mode fairly well?
Also, what would be a fair price for this machine?
Any opinions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yes, no problem. I have that same video card. It’s a few years old, but still enough even for some higher-end games, so definitely plenty for this purpose.

As for price, not exactly sure off the top of my head.

Last edited:

CheeseUM98

Sep 7, 2012
Cool, thank you very much for the input, was interested in this machine in that it's all set, minimal work on my end. At least I can get TPA up and running, and then slowly work on the cabinet in the little snippets of free time I can wrangle up here and there.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
No problem man. He said if it were him, he’d probably start an offer around $300-350 and top out around 450.

CheeseUM98

Sep 7, 2012
Now that I have the computer, Next is the monitor setup. Has anyone out there, instead of a cabinet proper, instead tried a dual monitor setup mounted on the wall, with the main play field monitor mounted on the wall with a rotating mount that would allow rotation from portrait to landscape orientation to allow for more traditional MAME setup? I'm thinking of using an X-Arcade Tankstick or something similar that has the dual flipper buttons in addition to a dual joystick setup for both pinball and MAME use.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I haven’t used that exact monitor setup, but I do have a Tankstick in my custom arcade cab and it works quite well.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.