Arcooda announced their pricing!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It would be really cool to get one of these for off-studio-time, but where to put it :p

Even though I'm itching to get one and take the plunge (fair chunk of change) I think I'd rather go fully VR with Pinball Arcade, even though one misses out on the motors and bumping mechanism of a 'real' table.

But if I had the space and just a bit more spare change this would almost be a sure deal...

You can plug any of the consoles into it, plus you can play Android mobile games on the touchscreen I believe. Ultimate has 40w sub, so it can even be a jukebox!

Sorry, just trying to talk you into it 😄

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Thanks shutyertrap! If they haven't answered the question in the thread I started at http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...binet-software?p=273547&viewfull=1#post273547 by the time you are there, then please ask them my question of:

Will you, FarSight Studios, after June 30th still be able to fix any remaining or newly found software bugs in Arcooda Pinball Arcade?

(The answer to this question would be good to know for both the $149 usd version, and also for the software that comes with the Arcooda Cabinet itself. Although I suspect the software on the Arcooda Cabinet itself will have far fewer bugs than the $149 version has had, since Arcooda and Farsight have had on hand the exact cabinet electronics the prior is playing on.)

We will be able to fix any remaining or newly found software bugs in Arcooda Pinball Arcade. We won't however be able to address Hardware issues, I imagine you would need to go through Arcooda for that if your purchasing a cabinet.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
It would be really cool to get one of these for off-studio-time, but where to put it :p

Even though I'm itching to get one and take the plunge (fair chunk of change) I think I'd rather go fully VR with Pinball Arcade, even though one misses out on the motors and bumping mechanism of a 'real' table.

But if I had the space and just a bit more spare change this would almost be a sure deal...

I guess the ultimate version of virtual pinball would be to use the Arcooda as a controller and output the visuals to VR. With the PC specs of the Arcooda cabinet I'm pretty sure it could be done.

I'd probably just buy the Kinect and do the head tracking though and not wear the funny headset

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013

priested

Nov 7, 2013
If you are planning to sink this kind of money into their product, I advise reading every bit of fine print. Do not take anything said on this or any other forum regarding "promised" support as gospel. Read the actual legal terms of your agreement.

Also understand that this is an Australian company which probably limits legal liability. They could also go out of business at any time. Personally, I hope the product is as advertised but given the speed at which all this is happening, the licensing issues, and all the problems with the software they have already released, I would think twice.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If you are planning to sink this kind of money into their product, I advise reading every bit of fine print. Do not take anything said on this or any other forum regarding "promised" support as gospel. Read the actual legal terms of your agreement.

Also understand that this is an Australian company which probably limits legal liability. They could also go out of business at any time. Personally, I hope the product is as advertised but given the speed at which all this is happening, the licensing issues, and all the problems with the software they have already released, I would think twice.

Please separate Arcooda from FarSight bias. Arcooda has been working on this particular cabinet for 3 years; it’s not a rush job. They’ve been in business selling arcade cabinet parts for years. The cabinet will work with any digital pinball game out there, but is the only cabinet that will run TPA with coil and shaker motors.

I get the trepidation over the software, but that’s on FarSight. With any product you’d spend this much money on, I’d hope people would read the fine print. Assembly is being done in USA and China.

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Glad you think it is sound advice. I purchased the software from Arcooda. Arcoodas logo is all over it. They should take responsibility for it. If I buy a cabinet and it craps out because the parts in it are crap and there are no refunds, do you want me blame the Chinese parts maker? No. That's "on" Arcooda.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Glad you think it is sound advice. I purchased the software from Arcooda. Arcoodas logo is all over it. They should take responsibility for it. If I buy a cabinet and it craps out because the parts in it are crap and there are no refunds, do you want me blame the Chinese parts maker? No. That's "on" Arcooda.

I understand you are upset, and I read the thread you started. I truly hope things get resolved for you.

That being said, you are assuming that software issues you experience on a product Arcooda hired FarSight to make is a direct reflection of the hardware Arcooda is known for making. False, this is on FarSight. More to the point, FarSight has said and then repeated it in your thread that they will continue to support the software. You stated "I can already see that this is not a product that improves the game enough (for me) to warrant its cost" and then later "this software runs very poorly on my system except in the overhead flat view, which I hate. I also detect different physics in this software which hopefully is due to the view problem but I would rather not risk it" which are both problems FarSight would solely be responsible for addressing via support.

Because you bought this from Arcooda, yes they are the ones responsible for refund policies. Fearing for future support even with FarSight claiming differently, I get that too. I'm just saying you don't go slamming hardware you have no knowledge of based on this experience with software.

wolfson

May 24, 2013

priested , I don`t know all the legal talk , but we are heavily regulated . we have special bodies ,that cover any bull crap , you get taken to court and fined . we are the land of regulation , we are like sheep we follow .we have Royal Commissions all the time . at the moment there looking at the Banks .:cool: as for going out of business , they send in people that will sell off anything they own and give the money to the people that are owed , the workers of the company are looked after first , what remains goes to the rest . I`m not sure about the Tax man . if they got no money left ,your screwed .:p

priested

Nov 7, 2013
I'm just saying you don't go slamming hardware you have no knowledge of based on this experience with software.

I did not slam their hardware. You're right, I have no knowledge of it. My advice is more speaking to their business practices and just to advise overall caution.

Based on the issues surrounding the software, I now view them as shady. Shirking questions about refunds (referring people to this website) and burying the fact that there are no refunds at the bottom of a lengthy EULA you have to optionally click to (not mentioned anywhere else) is not an honest broker in my book.

If you read my thread, you saw that I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. The more that I learned, the more sceptical of them I became.

My second post was obviously just an example to illustrate a point. I have no idea if their hardware is great or crap. No one knows that at this point

Last edited:

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
I did not slam their hardware. You're right, I have no knowledge of it. My advice is more speaking to their business practices and just to advise overall caution.

Based on the issues surrounding the software, I now view them as shady. Shirking questions about refunds (referring people to this website) and burying the fact that there are no refunds at the bottom of a lengthy EULA you have to optionally click to (not mentioned anywhere else) is not an honest broker in my book.

If you read my thread, you saw that I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. The more that I learned, the more sceptical of them I became.

Its pretty unusual for digital software purchases to offer refunds. Outside of Steam (which gives only a 2 hour window for returns) its pretty much unheard of. Calling them shady for not offering a refund in a situation where almost no retailer ever would is a pretty big stretch.

zdjh22

Sep 28, 2013
I had been looking at VirtuaPin’s offerings, both their kit-build units and their fully assembled. The Ultra from Arcooda at $6499 is very competitive with the $6250 Extreme UltraWidebody. Steel instead of maple, i7-8700 instead of i5-6600, 256 GB SSD and 1 TB rotating disk vs 500 GB rotating, both 1070-based video cards, 43” 4K vs 47” HD main screen (LG 47 digital signage monitor), 32” 4K vs 27” HD back screen, 15” LCD vs Vishay DMD, both 40W sound systems with subwoofers, FarSight Pinball Arcade with cabinet mod software (before June 30) installed vs Visual Pinball installed. And obviously both allow for running other software.

Looks like a very attractive machine. I would love to know more about the 43” monitor (input lag specifically), plus more about the Highway I/O board. I like the notion of having the monitor easily raised (“hydraulic gas strut lift system”) and space (shelving?) for additional consoles or computers that can access the monitors and presumably other electronics via the Highway I/O board.

I have no idea if VirtuaPin systems are good, over or under-priced, etc. (opinions welcome, including experience with their kits), but they seemed very promising to me based on the info on their web site. These Arcooda hardware offerings in comparison look quite good to me. Even if getting the bugs out of Pinball Arcade with the Arcooda cabinet mod takes FarSight a while, the hardware looks quite capable of running Visual Pinball, Future Pinball, MAME, etc. very well. A few weeks back I snagged a Kinect 2.0 adapter on eBay which would work with the BAM Future Pinball mod as well as Pinball Arcade.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
I have to imagine that the Arcooda cabinet specific versions of the Pinball Arcade and Timeshock packages don't have many of these glitches.

I feel like most of these glitches are caused by the software running on a huge variety of different machines. Farsight spent 20+ months designing this package to run specifically for that hardware, and then had to very quickly try to get it to run on different hardware.

I could be wrong, we'lll see what shutyertrap sees when he plays with the Arcooda cabinet next Thursday

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Its pretty unusual for digital software purchases to offer refunds. Outside of Steam (which gives only a 2 hour window for returns) its pretty much unheard of. Calling them shady for not offering a refund in a situation where almost no retailer ever would is a pretty big stretch.

This is actually a fair point. The reason I view this situation differently is that the policy is generally posted somewhere and that this software was sold with a lot of known serious bugs and a very tight window to fix them. In that case, I think it imparitive to make it clear that it is beta software with no refunds. The FAQ would have been the obvious place to put that information. They had to know that would be of interest. This is not a typical software release.

Last edited:

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Arcooda site says for one of the new cabinets , "Machines manufactured in USA – pickup is Elk Groove Village, Chicago, USA." For another it says, "Pickup is Elk Groove Village, Chicago, USA." Since Stern Pinball is headquartered in Elk Groove Village, Illinois, I wonder if that's more than a coincidence.

ATARI

May 13, 2014
Anyone in the U/K putting an order in. Arcooda Pinball Ultra, exchange rate to GBP works out at £4900. Shipping cost not sure.

Last edited:

hlr53

Jul 12, 2016
Arcooda site says for one of the new cabinets , "Machines manufactured in USA – pickup is Elk Groove Village, Chicago, USA." For another it says, "Pickup is Elk Groove Village, Chicago, USA." Since Stern Pinball is headquartered in Elk Groove Village, Illinois, I wonder if that's more than a coincidence.

That CANNOT be a coincidence :D

I'm betting FarSight and Arcooda will be releasing a Stern pack down the road...……….

ATARI

May 13, 2014
Received email from Arcooda regarding shipping costs to the uk "Freight costs are $480usd however there maybe an opportunity for combined container shipment to UK with other clients to save on costs. If you are interested to proceed with the order please let us know and we will try to provide as much information as possible". Maybe we will get a U/K distributor?-----Pinball Heaven

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.