Bug CPU Thread at 100% Always

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
Hello,

I've been away from TPA for quite a while. I've been playing in DX11 mode today and noticed that one thread on my CPU, CPU0, is operating at 100% at all times - even in the menus.

Is this a known issue? I'm not noticing it have a detrimental affect in-game at the moment bar Ghostbusters, which is a stuttery mess and sees an extra 2 threads reach 100% often too. Regardless, it seems very wrong.

This is a very modern PC running an i7 8700K (6 core, 12 threads) at 4.7GHz and an Nvidia 1080ti. The game is being run in portrait mode at 1440x2560.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Is this the only thing making your CPU run like that? I ask because prior to my just now upgrading from a Dual Core Intel on a GTX 670 card to an i5 8400 with a GTX 1060, my CPU suddenly had spiked even when running nothing. TPA did then run at 95-100%, and Ghostbusters wouldn't even run. With the new setup, I didn't initially do a fresh Windows 10 install, since I carried over my hard drives. CPU was still running a lot with nothing open. So I did a complete fresh install, and now I have no issues. As my friend stated, somewhere with some program I picked up a bug that was probably using my setup for Bitcoin mining.

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
It's definitely specific to TPA and CPU use returns to normal immediately upon exit. I read further after posting this and noted some recommendations to disable hyper threading. I've used software to do this for just the TPA application and utilisation has dropped dramatically (I forget the exact figures off the top of my head). I haven't spent a massive amount of time with TPA since doing this but I've noticed no determent (or improvement) from a performance perspective thus far.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.