Cabinet graphic quality 4K

darthvader123

Dec 28, 2016
Hey everyone,

I've loaded up the cabinet mode on my machine. Everything lined up well and plays great. But.. not sure if I'm just being picky or if I'm missing a setting. The graphics are just not as crisp as I thought they would be. VPX or VP9 equivalents look better.

Here is a video of up close text of medieval madness. Just seems a bit blurry/pixelated around text areas and such.
https://youtu.be/C_R_o5NZRvA

I have a 4K display. I tried switching from 1080x1920 and 2160x3840 in the config settings DX11 and Cabinet. Switching my display resolution to 1080p and 4K and a combination of it all. My graphics card is GT 1030.

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
it depends on the table, the earlier season tables were originally captured at lower resolutions. Try a later season table to compare. (I also wish they'd go back and do higher res scans of some of the earlier seasons, but not sure how likely that is now with the licensing debacle.)

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I am in the process of purchasing a 40 inch TV for the cabinet I am building. I might as well go 4K, since 4K prices are so low these days on something as "small" as 40 inch. I'm wondering, is 4K actually working well yet with any of the TPA tables using the Arcooda Steam Unlock key? (Such as with the later seasons as codinghorror had suggested.) I know Arcooda had said, "With regards to 4K, our goal is to have for all versions." Also, how about 4K with the regular DX11 version of TPA?

Last edited:

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I am in the process of purchasing a 40 inch TV for the cabinet I am building. I might as well go 4K, since 4K prices are so low these days on something as "small" as 40 inch. I'm wondering, is 4K actually working well yet with any of the TPA tables using the Arcooda Steam Unlock key? (Such as with the later seasons as codinghorror had suggested.) I know Arcooda had said, "With regards to 4K, our goal is to have for all versions." Also, how about 4K with the regular DX11 version of TPA?

I just read that 4K with the regular DX11 version of TPA is indeed supported, at the very least when someone is using NoEx's Free Camera Mod . (Which is how I am going to continue to play all the non-Arcooda supported tables anyways.) Per the great NoEx's 11/19/2017 post at http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/s...ree-Camera-Mod?p=265280&viewfull=1#post265280 . With further discussion in the thread that starts at http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/s...t-on-windows10?p=264433&viewfull=1#post264433 .

As far as my other question, how well is 4K working for those that have tried it with the Arcooda Cabinet mode (and say the later seasons of TPA)?

Last edited:

gust334

Jun 20, 2018
Haven't tried it yet, but I would caution for additional research because many of the cheapest 4K displays are HDMI 1.4, which can only manage 30fps at 4K. You need a monitor accepting HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort to get standard 8-bit 60fps at 4K, and I think you need DisplayPort 1.3 to get 10-bit UHD 4K at 60fps. And of course a correspondingly capable graphics card and cable.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Haven't tried it yet, but I would caution for additional research because many of the cheapest 4K displays are HDMI 1.4, which can only manage 30fps at 4K. You need a monitor accepting HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort to get standard 8-bit 60fps at 4K, and I think you need DisplayPort 1.3 to get 10-bit UHD 4K at 60fps. And of course a correspondingly capable graphics card and cable.

Thanks for the great advice about the 4K display, gust334. The TV I wound up purchasing for the cabinet supports "HDMI 2.0 Full Bandwidth", so I am set.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
The older tables were shipped at lower resolutions than the recent releases. For example the texture for the playfield was 2048x2048 then, now we ship them at 4096x4096. We've basically doubled the resolutions of all parts of the tables. The polygons have been tripled, 70k to 200k.

Also, your video's title says Pinball FX3 :p

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.