Arcooda Cabinet Mode beta: cabinet_beta -

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Hello Everyone,

We have a beta available for testing changes with the backglass lighting that might improve the performance on some setup. The beta also includes some tools to help us track down crashing and other misc. events.

If you would like to report any improvements or new issues, please respond with your device specifications and cabinet settings.

To access the beta, right click on Pinball Arcade > Select Properties > Select BETAS tab > From the drop down, select cabinet_beta -

Thank you for your feedback!

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
I have not participated in Betas before. I'm "in" the cabinet_beta -- indicated on my games list. But where and how do I leave feedback?
Thank you.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
I have not participated in Betas before. I'm "in" the cabinet_beta -- indicated on my games list. But where and how do I leave feedback?
Thank you.

I would think this thread would be a good starting point as this thread was created by Flippy. If you just have feedback post them here. If you have issues (crashes), I am sure you will be asked for the following:
1) Your system configuration.
2) Screenshots of your DX11 and Cabinet tabs from the utility.
3) A copy of the log file from just after the crash. It is typically located on your C: drive, Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PinballArcade.
4) Possibly more...

I had a crash tonight and have sent that information to Farsight Support.

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
Thank you Chinzman and Flippy. I have been playing and reading your comments for a year, and just now feel ready to join the community -- and buy a real cabinet.

No scores posting on Gorgar during game play. Score comes up only at end of game.

I'm running a 3- monitor system, Arcooda DX11

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I tested the first Cabinet beta this morning and still get issues, although just ONCE it played well.

I emailed Rob at Farsight my logs as requested by Arcooda.

Here is what I said in case it helps others:

I am off on a break now and back Monday, however I managed to play with the Beta Cab build this morning and have attached my logs, and screenshots of my configs.

I still get low FPS of around 30 in the 3 '3D' views but super smooth play in the 'Flat' view. As I said in the thread, bizarrely if I 'Alt-Tab' and select the TPA playfield the FPS goes up to around 55, but the ball is jittery and not playable. Although it is not smooth I think this finding maybe significant.

I tried multiple setups this morning with 2/3 screen configs, Fullscreen, and Window, lower resolutions, etc.
What is so strange is just ONCE, when I launched TPA it gave almost completely smooth gameplay at around 59-60 FPS. I tried dozens of more times but no luck. It is almost the reverse situation of what you described and others in the forum where you said you ONCE had slow performance and then it was ok. For me I always have slow gameplay but just once it was good.

For me it feels like something is constraining/conflicting with the TPA software. And why is it only with the 3D views???? The Flat view is super smooth / full 60FPS.

My PC has an Aero theme which in Windows 7 I know enables the 'Desktop Composition' which can have an affect on game rendering in multiple screen. I have however tried non-aero themes and disabling desktop composition but it doesn't help. (in fact it is best to leave it on I find).

Last edited:

GAH1068

Mar 6, 2018
Downloaded the beta and here are a few things I noticed

Issue / Bug:

1) When starting cabinet mode I get a black screen on the playfield but the DMD and Monitor displays are fine. I have to alt-tab around or press enter and eventually it will display the playfield and things work. This is a new issue I have not had before.

Fixes/Performance improvement:

1) I am able to see my mouse cursor again. In previous version I had no visible mouse cursor.

2) Tables seems to be running much faster. I never had slow game or fps issue. I just had random momentary stutters that I didn't see in the previous version of PBA. I tested on 6-7 tables and it feels accross the board faster

My system:

Windows 10 Pro V1803 (Build: 17134.112), I7-8700, 16gb, GTX1080 with latest drives (398.11)

Current PBAConfig:

Backbuffer Width: 1080
Backbuffer Height: 1920
MSAA Samples: 4
MSAA Quality: 0
Anisotropy: 16
Brighten Ball: On
Windows Mode: Fullscreen

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
I installed and uninstalled the beta already.

I had the same issue as GAH1068 regarding the Black screen at launch.

Gorgar is still unplayably slow for me. It's the only table in the 76 that I've never been able to run

I played Dr Who MoT and Champion's pub and noticed that the game ending glitch is no longer in those tables

Every game I played had a choppy framerate

i3-4640, GTX 670 (playfield) GTX 270 (DMD, backglass), 8 GB RAM

Last edited:

MattW

Jul 14, 2015
Thanks for letting us try out a cabinet beta.

Black main screen at launch as others have noted, can alt-tab to bring it up.

All the tables I tried play about half speed for me. I was able to play a tournament table and even the timer ran at half speed.

After switching back out of the beta I now get a message saying "the tournament has ended".

I didn't notice any "backglass lighting" differences in any of the tables I tried.

Gorgar still does not show a score on the backglass in 3 screen mode, this has been broken since the original release.

gust334

Jun 20, 2018
I don't see any substantial difference between Cabinet v1.70.21 and Cabinet v1.70.23 beta. Three of four camera views are unplayably slow (6-10fps) and the fourth (flat?) view runs full speed.

Arcooda redirected me to Farsight for support with Cabinet mode, saying Farsight was working individually with customers.

Last Thursday I sent copious screen shots and logs to Farsight from Cabinet v1.70.21 and tonight I've sent Log.txt and MemLog.txt from Cabinet v1.70.23 beta.

Other than acknowledging receipt Friday, I have nothing of substance from Farsight or Arcooda.

Last edited:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I don't see any substantial difference between Cabinet v1.70.21 and Cabinet v1.170.23 beta. Three of four camera views are unplayably slow (6-10fps) and the fourth (flat?) view runs full speed.

Arcooda redirected me to Farsight for support with Cabinet mode, saying Farsight was working individually with customers.

Last Thursday I sent copious screen shots and logs to Farsight from Cabinet v1.70.21 and tonight I've sent Log.txt and MemLog.txt from Cabinet v1.70.23 beta.

Other than acknowledging receipt Friday, I have nothing of substance from Farsight or Arcooda.

Pretty much same for me - sent logs Friday but have heard nothing yet.

gust334

Jun 20, 2018
I got a query from Farsight for information on my monitors, and if they have a game mode setting. I sent Farsight the brand/model information for all my displays, same the PC itself, and information about how they are connected. I also sent them the additional debugging I tried yesterday.

I don't see how monitors themselves could affect performance differently in different camera views, but as long as Farsight is continuing to put attention on this, I'll support them with whatever data they need.

Last edited:

GAH1068

Mar 6, 2018

[MENTION=3799]FlippyFloppy[/MENTION]

The latest Cabinet beta that was released has a issue. All my tables are now showing as unowned. I opted out of the cabinet_mode Beta and now my everything is working with the latest .21 release version and I show all tables owned again.

gust334

Jun 20, 2018
Steam v1.70.24 Cabinet beta: Also experienced all tables indicated unowned, but was able to play long enough to confirm no difference in symptoms. No difference in slow cameras. No difference in single fast camera.

One difference I was very happy to see was the background in the main menus of the beta changed to be a sort of weaving/swaying technical blueprint or patent view of pinball parts, instead of the green/orange/gold motocross table background that usually weaves/sways behind the buttons. No offense to motocrossers, but I hope this geeky technical menu background persists, I like it a lot.

Opted out of beta, Steam re-download failed, w/unable to write to EXE file. Recursively removed read-only attribute, problem persisted. Rebooted, problem persisted. Tried deleting EXE, new error, something about content file locked. Problem persisted through another reboot.

Selected Steam uninstall program, watched TPA go away, then ~17 minutes to re-download everything. Now it is back to v1.70.21 Cabinet and it seems my owned season packs and local high scores were restored.

There was a suggestion on the Steam forum to toggle the camera locks in-game. That has no effect on the slow cameras.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Hey Everyone

We just updated the Cabinet_beta with updated tools. If you were crashing during start-up or while entering the Cabinet key, please send us the crash log and dump file (after crashing) located in your Pinball Arcade folder.

Thanks!
Rob

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Hey Everyone,

We just updated the Cabinet_beta to 1.70.28. We believe we tracked down the slowdown issue and this should resolve it. Please let us know if the slowdown persists or if you encounter any other issues.

Thanks!

Edit: After checking the beta version we noticed cameras 1-3 weren't changing in the update but was changing in our debug version so we are addressing that now and should have another update out shortly.

We bumped the version to 1.70.28c

Last edited:

GAH1068

Mar 6, 2018
Hey Everyone,

We just updated the Cabinet_beta to 1.70.28. We believe we tracked down the slowdown issue and this should resolve it. Please let us know if the slowdown persists or if you encounter any other issues.

Thanks!

Edit: After checking the beta version we noticed cameras 1-3 weren't changing in the update but was changing in our debug version so we are addressing that now and should have another update out shortly.

We bumped the version to 1.70.28c

I have been updated to latest Beta Release. I was not previously having performance issues with Views 1-3 like others. This version does feel like it is running snappier so hopefully this is the fix for those with horrible FPS issues.,

I still have the black playfield screen on startup. My backglass and DMD windows display fine. It takes a few Alt-Tab's or Alt-Enter's do get the playfield screen to display. Once the playfield display appears things appear to be running well. I had no other issues while I was playing around for 5-10 minutes.

gust334

Jun 20, 2018
No change in symptoms with beta Cabinet v1.70.28c on my system. Three slow cameras persist. Otherwise, seems as functional as the official release, didn't notice anything obviously changed.

Last edited:

gust334

Jun 20, 2018
On my system, TPA Cabinet beta v1.70.28d has substantially improved functionality over TPA Cabinet beta v1.70.28c and TPA Cabinet release v1.70.27. Slow camera issues resolved, all four cameras at 60fps! More details posted in SilverBalls' thread about slow camera views. Kudos to FarSight, I think you have isolated the issue.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
On my system, TPA Cabinet beta v1.70.28d has substantially improved functionality over TPA Cabinet beta v1.70.28c and TPA Cabinet release v1.70.27. Slow camera issues resolved, all four cameras at 60fps! More details posted in SilverBalls' thread about slow camera views. Kudos to FarSight, I think you have isolated the issue.

Cabinet Beta version 170.28d has fixed it for me on Views 1-3 on my older system that before had the slow camera problem. I am getting at least 60fps now on all 4 views. In addition, I brought up Task Manager, and now the soft Page Faults Delta for "PinballArcadeCabinet.exe *32" remains around 0 in views 1-3, just like it had before in view 4 . Fantastic!

Last edited:

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
Slow camera issue is fixed for me too, i feel like I had moments of slowdown where the game chugged that I didn't have back when cabinet mode first launched, but it's been long enough that I'm not sure

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.