Flip Grip (Kickstarter)

Azathoth

Dec 17, 2017
Yeah, not sure why they would insist on a design that only supports a counterclockwise rotation. Clockwise rotation is the set standard for arcade monitors and is what most software expects. I get that you block the cart slot and headphone jack, but you're already blocking the power and volume buttons, so why not design it to support both directions?

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
Because you can change the volume and turn into sleep mode when holding the home button, so blocking the headphone jack and card slot would be way worse. Almost all games support clockwise and counterclockwise rotation.

Apparently someone in the comments of the Kickstarter already asked Farsight:

Leynos:
"I spoke with a customer support tech at Farsight Studios, and they are aware of the Flip Grip, and have received several emails asking for an update to allow usage with it. He said that they passed the info to their developer, and that they will fix the problem in a forthcoming update.

I hope that they make good on that so that Stern Pinball Arcade, and The Pinball Arcade will work."

Last edited:

Azathoth

Dec 17, 2017
Because you can change the volume and turn into sleep mode when holding the home button, so blocking the headphone jack and card slot would be way worse.

Like I said, I get that reasoning, but I personally don't think the pros outweigh the coins, and I don't see a technical limitation why it couldn't be designed to hold the console both ways. As it stands right this minute the only game supported that's on a physical cart is the SNK collection (which isn't out yet). You could literally own every game on their compatibility list and never need access to the cart port.

Flip the other way and you'd lose headphone jack, but have total 100% compatibility (including TPA/SPA support) and have to deal with swapping between 2 carts (SNK collection and SPA). I'd gladly trade a headphone jack for TPA/SPA compatibility.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
They are already planning to add this option to TPA/SPA. See my post above. Headphone jack is essential for me, to play over speakers or my headphones, since bluetooth is not supported.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
The kickstarter page now shows the Stern Pinball Arcade in glorious Portrait Mode!

Even then, it's worth it if you are interested in the Arcade Classic modes... Donkey Kong is one of my favourites (in the easier-to-play NES and Atari 8-bit versions) so I might just get it for that reason only.

Billy

Jun 7, 2018
I backed it too. I'm using vertical mode already in The Pinball Arcade but with touch controls. Would be great if there'd be an update where the vertical screen can also go the right way for the flip grip.

jached

Feb 21, 2015
I used it to play FX3, then rotated it to set it in the other way, not locked, for TPA, which also worked well. I wouldn’t leave it like that, but it was sturdy enough for quite a bit of game play.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yes, mine arrived yesterday as well and it's everything I hoped it would be. Definitely a must have for everybody who plays pinball, vertical shooters, and classic arcade games on Switch.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Anybody from the Netherlands who orderded this? Wonder how much you paid shipping included. I need one.

They have a worldwide shipping calculator on their site. It claims that shipping to the Netherlands would be only $5.12/€4.52. Seems pretty cheap. The Flip Grip itself is $12/€10.59.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
That’s about right, very low shipping on this one. I’m waiting for mine here in the Netherlands, should have shipped already

They have a worldwide shipping calculator on their site. It claims that shipping to the Netherlands would be only $5.12/€4.52. Seems pretty cheap. The Flip Grip itself is $12/€10.59.

Plungemaster

Apr 19, 2018
Aha! Thanks! Gonne order myself one. Have fun mates!

Pinball and shmups... miss pacman hopefully later on... amazing with this flipgrip.

Azathoth

Dec 17, 2017
It's a shame that nobody could take the time to implement rotation for this in the direction it needs to be. SPA and TPA are the only games that I know of on Switch that don't support rotation in that way. The fact it didn't support vertical mode to start with should have been an omen of things to come.

You can put your system in the Flip Grip the opposite way, but that completely blocks the air vents.

Members online

Members online