Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first FarSight post in this thread.   Thread: New logo needed!

My Devices
    iTouch,New New iPad, iPad Air, Steam
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrolson View Post
    With red font,
    I think your job is done here. Fantastic.

My Devices
    iPhone, iPad 3, xbox360, ps3 and a pincab
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that although I think the new logo is ok, I find the latest one feels like everything is fit together right. What's the point of having the pop bumpers at the top right or the lone flipper at the bottom left? the pop bumpers look like they are the dot above "I's for the two "L's. I don't think the earlier mockups were perfect but at least there was a cohesion to everything and the pinball parts felt like they were there for more than just a random layout. I do love the current "digital" alphanumeric look of the word "digital", I wouldn't change that at all it's perfect, but IMHO if you want to have the image convey the feeling of digital pinball, then as an idea, have the "rectangle" everything resides in have an LCD monitor type bezel, so instant "digital pinball" feel to everything contained within. a small monitor style bezel works for mobile, desktop and living room tv.

It's just an opinion lads/lasses, no ill intent meant but IMHO as an alternative, the above with a left/right flipper on either side of "fans.com" with the digital and pinball centered above and lose the pop bumpers may be worth a look. If you want to absolutely put a pop bumper in there, then maybe it can be placed instead of the "o" in .com if a different font is used, though I do like this one too. Whatever you guys choose, some really nice work on all of these, wins for sure and appreciate very much you are looking at community opinions. Well done!

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm going to say some things and I only mean them in constructive ways.

1. The name of the site is Digital Pinball Fans. Our URL has the dot com in it. Although I find the pinball as the dot clever, dot com should not be part of the logo at all. Would you put www. with it? Of course not. And there is not a single logo out there that has any part of a URL in it. It's clever, but it doesn't belong.

2. A logo needs to work in black and white or 2 color form. It needs to scale and be identifiable exceedingly small. Look up at your browser and the tabs. See that little square with a logo in it? There ya go. Granted, those are actually icons not logos. I know that's extreme for the purposes of this site, but you get the idea.

3. When it comes to fonts, they need to reflect and convey the proper idea. When I think digital and pinball, I think precision, clean lines, mechanical. The font being used for 'pinball fans' feels round and comical, the opposite of digi mechanical.

4. I'd like to see what could be done with just the initials DPF. Google logos and you'll see it's a common way of coming up with a quickly identifiable graphic, and then a nice clean font spells out the full name.

5. A simple search of 'graphic design rules for logos' brings up all sorts of good info. For instance, https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/200...igning-a-logo/

Do not ignore what every professional has learned whether in school, trial and error, or mentorship. Certain things are a must to adhere to, simplicity being the most important. It's perfectly fine being an amateur designer just fooling around in your spare time. It's incredibly gutsy for anyone to subject their work to public scrutiny, and I applaud it. That being said, tried and true still should be the guiding principle. The same should be applied to those offering opinion and notes; ask yourself what your favorite logos are, why they appeal to you. You are literally surrounded by them, all over your computer, printer, speakers, monitor, phone, game controller, on appliances and books and cars and virtually every product you own. Every single store, shop, restaurant you enter has a logo out front, and you know inherently which ones appeal to you and which ones don't. Every sports team has that iconic logo, and if you see the badge for the NBA, MLB, or NFL you know immediately what it is for.

I hope I'm not coming off as some kind of know it all jerk who lacks appreciation. I'm just saying let's not fall in love yet. No one here likes it when FarSight rushes something to market, let's explore and refine options with this.
    Last edited by shutyertrap; 07-10-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Pinball Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

subscribe to BlahCade Pinball Podcast on YouTube

buy BlahCade t-shirt at represent.com/blahcade-shirt

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    Vita PS3 PS4 Switch PC
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the ".com" inclusion either.

4. I'd like to see what could be done with just the initials DPF. Google logos and you'll see it's a common way of coming up with a quickly identifiable graphic, and then a nice clean font spells out the full name.
    Maybe 'DPF' could be done in triple dot digital-7, like high score initials.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2, PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Shutyertrap should be an art critic.. lol Appreciate the feedback though.

I think you guys are starting to get picky, lets remember that this is just a logo for a small pinball forum, not for a museum art showing...

As for now, I give up before I drive myself crazy from logo choices...

I leave my PSD logo file for someone to take over the work or edit as they wish... Good luck and best wishes everyone!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dsn066jwppdtaj/logo.psd?dl=1
    Last edited by jrolson; 07-11-2018 at 07:34 AM.

My Devices
    iPad 4, iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the last version. Think it would look great up at the top of this page. Thanks jrolson

My Devices
    Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, PC
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    I'm going to say some things and I only mean them in constructive ways.

1. The name of the site is Digital Pinball Fans. Our URL has the dot com in it. Although I find the pinball as the dot clever, dot com should not be part of the logo at all. Would you put www. with it? Of course not. And there is not a single logo out there that has any part of a URL in it. It's clever, but it doesn't belong.
    Uhm...

Check out

http://chrono.gg
    http://gog.com

Even on your quoted site you see 2 example logos showing a .com - one of them being cnn.

But I agree, most sites don't have that and snce the page is from 2009, it's not current any more and both logos on the page are not being used any more.

I think, the bigger problem is the name itself. It's almost impossible to get the clunky words "Digital Pinball Fans" into a logo without having it cluttered already. And the question indeed is, do they have to be? Maybe a flipper with a "DPF" on it is enough. Or a bumper or whatever (using a flipper is a bit lazy, it would be just copying the idea of the TPA logo). I like the "Keep it simple, stupid" from https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/200...igning-a-logo/ The logo doesn't need to have the name included. Maybe it's an idea to start thinking about what the logo should or should not include, before actually starting to work on it.

My Devices
    Playstation 3, iOS, Playstation 4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one am against simply using the initials DPF. Someone just discovering the site will see DPF and be like, "what the hell is that?" I think the logo should include the full name for the reason of clarity.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgar View Post
    I for one am against simply using the initials DPF. Someone just discovering the site will see DPF and be like, "what the hell is that?" I think the logo should include the full name for the reason of clarity.
    A graphic image that conveys a sense of the site with the full name to the side also could work. Look at the Pepsi ball, the Coca-Cola bottle. There are many approaches that can be taken and all it takes is a sketch to try things out.

My Devices
    IOS/ PC
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the work Jolson. I too like the last version but only one of us has the final say it’s time to here what he has to say.

My Devices
    PS3, PC, Android,PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With red font,
    Yup, like the red.

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naildriver74 View Post
    Thanks for all the work Jolson. I too like the last version but only one of us has the final say it’s time to here what he has to say.
    You bloody suck up but yes now sure that the rabble have debated its time for our ben volent overlord to choose, cheers for taking your free time and effort jrolson nice to see the community isnt dead yet

My Devices
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up DP in the urban dictionary and you’ll know why DPF shouldn’t be used.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
    Look up DP in the urban dictionary and you’ll know why DPF shouldn’t be used.
    Yeah, I started thinking that while doing some sketches of my own!

Speaking of sketches...

I messed around a bit on paper and then downloaded Inkscape since I don't have Adobe Illustrator on my new computer yet. Inkscape is a free to use vector graphics program. I figure if I'm going to open my big mouth I may as well show some alternative concepts. I truly encourage people to sketch their ideas and then post those. Others can then try to bring them closer to concept in a graphics program. I'll continue to mess with ideas I have, but I just wanted to show there's plenty of directions we can go with this.

matrix pinball 2.jpg

pixel pin.jpg
    Last edited by shutyertrap; 07-12-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well dammit I like those too. Although the 2nd one is a little Infinity War-ish.

My Devices
    Playstation 3, iOS, Playstation 4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like them too.

My Devices
    iPad 4, iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little sterile for me.

My Devices
    Vita PS3 PS4 Switch PC
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like either of those.

My Devices
    PS3, PS Vita, PS4, Wii U, (n)3DS XL, Switch, Android tablet
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the jrolson (with red font) one, it's also a drop-in-place for the current one.

When the entire site gets redesigned, it can be time to come up with a different one that will match the new colour scheme (should there be one).

My Devices
    iPad Air 2, PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of the destroyed death star, not sure if that's a bad thing or not...

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With red font,
    I like this one, but if it's going to "echo" the current style, how about remove the ".com", move "FANS" all the way to the right.

While the idea of using pinball-related images is nice, it might look less cluttered if the bumpers and flipper were removed as well.
    "You've got an arm like a wet rag!" - The Dummy, Hurricane (Williams, 1991)
    "Ace of Clubs?!" - Bride of Pin*Bot, Jack*Bot (Williams, 1995)
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of the destroyed death star, not sure if that's a bad thing or not...

My wife said the exact same thing!
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    iPad Air 2, PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarOfSuburbia View Post
    I like this one, but if it's going to "echo" the current style, how about remove the ".com", move "FANS" all the way to the right.

While the idea of using pinball-related images is nice, it might look less cluttered if the bumpers and flipper were removed as well.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2, PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exploring Shutyertrap's idea...

My Devices
    PS3, PC, Android,PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exploring Shutyertrap's idea...

Reminds me of BBS boards back in the day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast