New logo needed!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Maybe a less-busy version with just the words and no flippers for comparison as well?

Last edited:

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012

hBJj4qg.png

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I'm loving number 4, but I can't help but think that maybe (I am no fashion expert) that is too much Orange between the alphanumeric "Digital" and the Orange/yellow "Pinball."

Just an idea I have to pay homage to the site's humble origins: maybe we can use the red "Fans" from the old (current) logo. Unless that is too Pinball Arcadey for what we are going for.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
I'm loving number 4, but I can't help but think that maybe (I am no fashion expert) that is too much Orange between the alphanumeric "Digital" and the Orange/yellow "Pinball."

I was thinking the same thing but can't find a different color that fits. All the other colors I tried looked out of place... I will mess around with the color some more.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I'm going to go against the grain and say that although I think the new logo is ok, I find the latest one feels like everything is fit together right. What's the point of having the pop bumpers at the top right or the lone flipper at the bottom left? the pop bumpers look like they are the dot above "I's for the two "L's. I don't think the earlier mockups were perfect but at least there was a cohesion to everything and the pinball parts felt like they were there for more than just a random layout. I do love the current "digital" alphanumeric look of the word "digital", I wouldn't change that at all it's perfect, but IMHO if you want to have the image convey the feeling of digital pinball, then as an idea, have the "rectangle" everything resides in have an LCD monitor type bezel, so instant "digital pinball" feel to everything contained within. a small monitor style bezel works for mobile, desktop and living room tv.

It's just an opinion lads/lasses, no ill intent meant but IMHO as an alternative, the above with a left/right flipper on either side of "fans.com" with the digital and pinball centered above and lose the pop bumpers may be worth a look. If you want to absolutely put a pop bumper in there, then maybe it can be placed instead of the "o" in .com if a different font is used, though I do like this one too. Whatever you guys choose, some really nice work on all of these, wins for sure and appreciate very much you are looking at community opinions. Well done!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm going to say some things and I only mean them in constructive ways.

1. The name of the site is Digital Pinball Fans. Our URL has the dot com in it. Although I find the pinball as the dot clever, dot com should not be part of the logo at all. Would you put www. with it? Of course not. And there is not a single logo out there that has any part of a URL in it. It's clever, but it doesn't belong.

2. A logo needs to work in black and white or 2 color form. It needs to scale and be identifiable exceedingly small. Look up at your browser and the tabs. See that little square with a logo in it? There ya go. Granted, those are actually icons not logos. I know that's extreme for the purposes of this site, but you get the idea.

3. When it comes to fonts, they need to reflect and convey the proper idea. When I think digital and pinball, I think precision, clean lines, mechanical. The font being used for 'pinball fans' feels round and comical, the opposite of digi mechanical.

4. I'd like to see what could be done with just the initials DPF. Google logos and you'll see it's a common way of coming up with a quickly identifiable graphic, and then a nice clean font spells out the full name.

5. A simple search of 'graphic design rules for logos' brings up all sorts of good info. For instance, https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/06/12-essential-rules-to-follow-when-designing-a-logo/

Do not ignore what every professional has learned whether in school, trial and error, or mentorship. Certain things are a must to adhere to, simplicity being the most important. It's perfectly fine being an amateur designer just fooling around in your spare time. It's incredibly gutsy for anyone to subject their work to public scrutiny, and I applaud it. That being said, tried and true still should be the guiding principle. The same should be applied to those offering opinion and notes; ask yourself what your favorite logos are, why they appeal to you. You are literally surrounded by them, all over your computer, printer, speakers, monitor, phone, game controller, on appliances and books and cars and virtually every product you own. Every single store, shop, restaurant you enter has a logo out front, and you know inherently which ones appeal to you and which ones don't. Every sports team has that iconic logo, and if you see the badge for the NBA, MLB, or NFL you know immediately what it is for.

I hope I'm not coming off as some kind of know it all jerk who lacks appreciation. I'm just saying let's not fall in love yet. No one here likes it when FarSight rushes something to market, let's explore and refine options with this.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I don't like the ".com" inclusion either.

4. I'd like to see what could be done with just the initials DPF. Google logos and you'll see it's a common way of coming up with a quickly identifiable graphic, and then a nice clean font spells out the full name.

Maybe 'DPF' could be done in triple dot digital-7, like high score initials.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
I think Shutyertrap should be an art critic.. lol :p Appreciate the feedback though.

UKRBBw1.jpg

I think you guys are starting to get picky, lets remember that this is just a logo for a small pinball forum, not for a museum art showing...

As for now, I give up before I drive myself crazy from logo choices...

SMj3dEx.jpg

I leave my PSD logo file for someone to take over the work or edit as they wish... Good luck and best wishes everyone!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dsn066jwppdtaj/logo.psd?dl=1

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.