49 TCL display - major lag

lefthand50

May 31, 2018
Hey all, the removal of pinballs + the Arcoodia cabinet software finally spurred me into action.

I have this iBuyPower PC from Best Buy

i7-8700, 16 GB RAM, 120 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

TPA via steam without Arcoodia runs great on my 32 IPS Dell Monitor at 1920x1080 (bothDX9 or DX11, once I correctly plugged the monitor into the video card, not the motherboard)

I thought I'd try my 49 in TCL TV to see how it might work as a main playfield.

When I tried, significant lag on the ball movement - the flippers seemed reasonable but not full speed. The default rez was 3980x2180. I dropped it first to 1902x1080 and then 800x600 but had the same results.

Am I missing something obvious, is the TV just too big, slow or the video card just not quite powerful enough?

Welcome any suggestion to try! thanks, Alex

hounds64

Sep 29, 2015
Is there a game mode in picture settings for the TCL? Makes a huge difference on my TV.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yep, when you buy that new TV, you need to turn off any and all 'enhancements' like motion smoothing, 120Hz display, TrueCinema, all that sort of nonsense. You'll be happier for it anyway as then your movies won't look like crappy soap operas. Even still, you might experience lag. I know I do on my 4K LG 65", with both the Switch and the PS4. It's one of those technical questions nobody at the store is going to be able to answer when buying a TV, or they'll lie through their teeth.

lefthand50

May 31, 2018
thanks hounds! Yup, that did the trick for performance - runs smooth both at 1920 or 3840 in portrait mode.

Trap, will look around for other things to disable, couple settings it disabled for me.

Members online

Members online