Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first FarSight post in this thread.   Thread: Is this it for Farsight / Pinball Arcade?

My Devices
    iOS, Android
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If TPA can pivot to being primarily a modern Stern emulator they have a good chance of survival IMO. The new Stern tables over the last decade are pretty excellent overall.

My Devices
    PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgias32 View Post
    If TPA can pivot to being primarily a modern Stern emulator they have a good chance of survival IMO. The new Stern tables over the last decade are pretty excellent overall.
    Agree!

My Devices
    PS4, PS3, KindleHD
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djb5f1 View Post
    Agree!
    Agree! This seems to be the ony Chance for FS. Modern Stern Tables with very popular themes like Guardians of the Galaxi (next table) or Walking Dead will attract many younger customers.

My Devices
    Samsungy Galaxy S5, S7 edge, PC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverball67 View Post
    ... Guardians of the Galaxi (next table)
    Is that wishful thinking or did I miss something?
    Guardians would be great to have in TPA/SPA, I love that table :-)

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, they would restore a lot of goodwill with their fans if they would work out a better pricing system for the new Stern tables. $20 for the pack with AC/DC and Star Trek are fine, since individually they are $10 a piece. But locking Mustang behind a $20 paywall including tables that loyal customers already own is kind of lousy.

Otherwise, I would have a lot more confidence in them if they continued to release great tables. We still have tons of new Stern to look forward to (hopefully), maybe those Capcom tables will finally surface, and there's still plenty of Data East/SEGA/Gottlieb tables that are worth releasing!

My Devices
    PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These tables will NEVER happen, way too expensive and with the licences gone - no more income for farsight. In other words, that's it. It's just a matter of time till it gets announced.

My Devices
    PS3, iPad, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's one single thing I wish from now on, is that Farsight stop releasing pins on ultra easy difficulty level . I understand that those pussified tables were made for the casual gamers, but guess what...in pinball emulation, there are no casuals! I'd like hard, punishing games, thank you very much.

My Devices
    Xbox One (for now)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    If there's one single thing I wish from now on, is that Farsight stop releasing pins on ultra easy difficulty level . I understand that those pussified tables were made for the casual gamers, but guess what...in pinball emulation, there are no casuals! I'd like hard, punishing games, thank you very much.
    LOL Dan, I like a game that I can get better at. Some are just too doggone difficult. If punishing challenge is your thing, try Zaccaria pinball. It's awesome.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It has been requested in the past for table to have a tournament mode. In other words, make it so the tables play like they would in real tournaments, where the rules are changed (many games have built-in tournament scoring) or other things such as turning up the tilt, remove rubbers from posts, increase pitch of playfield, etc. The request was well received, but I think that their platform is not designed for such a thing currently... also they would have to change a lot of the built-in ball physics and paths they have programmed into each table to account for those changes.

My Devices
    PS3, iPad, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but I was thinking more from now on...

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just gonna put in a dissonant opinion here because I'm mean and also have just had a strong Martini:

1) I like easy tables. This is recreational.
    2) All the latter-day Sterns suck and I'm really not happy that this has to be the focus now because of licensing/availability issues. I guess you can't get the kids to play a Old Pinball Tables From The 1970s/1980s Emulator in enough numbers to stay profitable (get off my lawn, kids!) but that is what I want, practical or not.

OK, more seriously, let's talk about money. I may be an old fart but I do spend a lot of time on Steam, buying and playing games and assessing what people are buying and what they are willing to pay.

TPA may not have a choice in this (I have no idea what their overhead is like), but their per-table and even their season pass prices have ALWAYS been higher than most of the market would bear. Major game shops like EA are having serious problems moving all but the biggest marquee titles at fifty bucks a game these days. People are not going to pay huge amounts of money for this stuff. I have sunk more money than I care to admit into TPA and don't regret it, but there's not a lot of people (other than the rest of you maniacs on these forums, love you all) who would.

I think it's cost-per-table that's going to kill TPA, not bugs or choice of tables to emulate. Pinball is already a niche market; premium pricing is doing them no favors.

Go ahead, fire back, but let me get more gin first :P
    I'm not happy with you now. - Rudy and CANDY 2000
    Now we can SHOOT THE DOG! - Guardian Devil
    Oooh, imPRESSive. - Buzz

My Devices
    Vita PS3 PS4 Switch PC
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The game lasted 6 years and got to Season 7 with that pricing model. And FarSight isn't large enough to absorb significant loss like EA is, yet they're still going. So I'd say it was at least baseline sustainable.

Whether it will continue to be with only Gottlieb and Stern as a core remains to be seen.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well per the leaked Steam game downloads summary, TPA has over 550,000 unique downloads compared to FX3’s 65,000. Niche as it is, still rules the roost. Would love to know what the actual buy rate is in comparison to just getting the free table, with regular prices being comparable between the two. Zen however kills it during Steam sales by going as much as 75% off, where TPA has never been more than 50%, and that was only for buying a season unlike Zen offering packs and individual tables.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    Well per the leaked Steam game downloads summary, TPA has over 550,000 unique downloads compared to FX3’s 65,000. Niche as it is, still rules the roost. Would love to know what the actual buy rate is in comparison to just getting the free table, with regular prices being comparable between the two. Zen however kills it during Steam sales by going as much as 75% off, where TPA has never been more than 50%, and that was only for buying a season unlike Zen offering packs and individual tables.
    I'd love to know the actual use patterns too.

Zen seems to have staked their ground on new tables (IP licenses, but new tables) that are original programming and don't have to deal with emulation concerns etc. I'd hate to think THAT was the model more likely to succeed, but again, that's probably just my selfish desire for emulation of the real-world tables of my childhood talking.
    I'm not happy with you now. - Rudy and CANDY 2000
    Now we can SHOOT THE DOG! - Guardian Devil
    Oooh, imPRESSive. - Buzz

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dobut toureny mode is possible now mores the pitty, ive accessiblity issues at the minute but can still play alittle ball, ive advocated both in the past but pinball aint no fornite

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Data East and Stern tables mentioned on the TPA Page. I think this is finally it for TPA. Hopefully Farsignt has other projects to earn money with and people do not lose their jobs.

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blindpeser View Post
    No Data East and Stern tables mentioned on the TPA Page. I think this is finally it for TPA. Hopefully Farsignt has other projects to earn money with and people do not lose their jobs.
    Negative nancy as usual

My Devices
    PS4 (TPA, PFX3); Switch (Zaccaria)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blindpeser View Post
    Big Buck Hunter and Whoa Nellie are coming out in a couple of weeks. And lately, Farsight has been sharing every post related to the upcoming Deadpool table from Stern. It's a good indication that Deadpool might be the first LCD table to release day and date on TPA.

My Devices
    iPad 4, iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be shocked to see Deadpool. Can they even do an LCD screen like that?
    Whoa Nellie and Big Buck should be out this week.

My Devices
    PS4 (TPA, PFX3); Switch (Zaccaria)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak357 View Post
    I’d be shocked to see Deadpool. Can they even do an LCD screen like that?
    According to the podcast interview with Bobby King in May, they have a system in place for doing LCD tables. They just needed to hammer out a few issues and they'll be set. That interview was four months ago, so it's safe to say they made some progress during that time.

As for Deadpool, anything is possible since they have a partnership with Stern. While, Farsight doesn't have any connections with Disney. Stern does and it wouldn't be to hard for them to acquire both physical and digital rights for the table, and outsource the development of the digital version to Farsight.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I’ve heard mention though that since Zen already has a digital Deadpool table, also based on the comic and not the movie (same as Stern), that it throws a monkey wrench into the whole works. This is where my knowledge of licensing fails me, but I get how this could be an issue.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4 Pro, Vita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know is that if Farsight wants any more of my money, they need to release new tables on PS4. That's where I buy them and I already own all they have made so far for both TPA and SPA, and will continue to buy all they make going forward. But I can't buy more if none get released.

It's also not doing Farsight any favors when a couple of their newest Sterns on PS4 still have room brightness issues so long after release. Not to mention other long-standing bugs and issues with various other tables. Maybe it sound like I'm complaining, but I'm just stating facts here.

My Devices
    iOS, Android
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on how the licensing was worked out at Stern. I would say it is probable that when they negotiated the rights to Deadpool they also negotiated the rights to the digital version; the only thing that would prohibit this is if Zen got an exclusive license for digital pinball when they did their deadpool table. Since theirs was done way prior to the Deadpool movies, I think it's quite possible Farsight would be able to make it. It all hinges on if Zen negotiated exclusivity at the time, and how the Stern license is constructed.

I'd be really happy to get Deadpool and Iron Maiden in TPA, both are awesome games.

My Devices
    Android,ps3,pc,ps4,xbox one,switch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'd almost have to release a Deadpool or Iron Maiden to keep pace with the latest Zen announcement. But this should drive a healthy competition between the two and hopefully result in more (and better) products we can all enjoy.

My Devices
    xbox360, xbox one, PC
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think FS needs Stern to step up and release some big tables. It doesn't have to be Deadpool, Iron Maiden, or other tables released in the past year. If we could get Family Guy, Simpsons Pinball Party, Transformers in a 3-pack, that would stem the tide.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast