New iOS update sucks

cjchand

May 14, 2018
Heck, I'm dying to play the new Star Trek: Vengeance table I just bought for $10....sadly, all Stern tables are currently inflicted with Stern Stutter.

Out of curiosity, have you tried to play them in Stern TPA? I wanted to use that as a workaround, but there is no sound and no DMD for many of the tables in the latest Stern TPA. Are you seeing the same?

Update: Nevermind. Just saw your earlier post about being on an older iOS. Sorry.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
I don't understand why the app was released like this; it's such an obvious bug/glitch. Those that purchased one of these new Stern tables (in the TPA app) with the hope of having some fun with the new table(s) instead get kicked in the nuts...even more so that that this Stern stutter now affects all Stern tables.

I had more fun playing the demo version of Star Trek: Vengeance than the version I paid $10 for.:mad:

Last edited:

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
This “stutter for all Stern Tables” in the iOS app is one of the reasons that I suspect that FarSight is working on a new engine for TPA. In all probability the tables were optimized to work with the newer engine and were released to the legacy TPA in a backward compatibility mode that isn’t quite getting the job done. As we all know, a new engine for TPA will probably be required to support the newer Sterns which use video monitors in lieu of DMDs.

Last edited:

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
I have an iPad Air 2, and i’m Having the same problem with the Stern Games. Plus when I play Ghostbusters it Studders and the game really speeds up, it speeds up so fast sometimes it is unplayable and uncontrollable. It even effects the sound a little bit, I deleted quite a bit of games I have on it, and still does it, crazy.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Yes, Farsight states: "We are looking into the issue" and I'm sure it will indeed be fixed at some point. In the mean time with this version of TPA being released, they've got the people buying the newer Stern tables at least, even though they're not playable at all (unless you want to have a seizure). They got me with this little trick.

I'm sure they knew the issue existed before the app was released...how can one not notice this in testing? This is not even an issue where testing is even involved nor required. Just play a Stern table and its noticeable immediately on the table's flyover.

This is the perfect way to lose buyers, myself included.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Yes, Farsight states: "We are looking into the issue" and I'm sure it will be fixed at some point. In the mean time with this version of TPA being released, they've got the people buying the newer Stern tables at least, even though they're not playable at all. They got me with this little trick.

I'm sure they knew the issue existed before the app was released...how can one not notice this in testing?

This is the perfect way to lose buyers, myself included.

I know it was noticed and reported in beta testing. Have to be blind not to notice it. I assume they just wanted to move it over. Then fix any issues that occurred.

cjchand

May 14, 2018
I know it was noticed and reported in beta testing. Have to be blind not to notice it. I assume they just wanted to move it over. Then fix any issues that occurred.

Seems like Farsight could do with a community manager.

While there will always be people who are upset no matter what you do, my 20+ years in tech have shown me that people are pretty understanding if:
a) they are informed about known issues and
b) have some rough estimate of when they will be addressed.

If it was really known that the modern Stern tables had these issues, having the app update notes in the App Store warn about the issue would help people avoid this situation and help with customer loyalty.

Just my $0.02 :)

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
While there will always be people who are upset no matter what you do, my 20+ years in tech have shown me that people are pretty understanding if:
a) they are informed about known issues and
b) have some rough estimate of when they will be addressed.

I've been in the tech industry for ~38 years and I agree.

What irks me so much about this particular instance is that they released this new version, knowing it was badly broken as far as Stern tables go (with of course no mention of it) so they could push this new version out to get some table sales. Of course they will fix the Stern Stutter "later". When will it actually be fixed? I'll bet Farsight doesn't even know.

Well they got me this time...the purchase I made is not even usable.

There may indeed not be a next purchase as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
I have now reverted back to TPA v7.10.7. Running the newest TPA version got me nothing except for a new $10 Stern table I cannot play (but want to) as well as screwing up all my other Sterns. At least with the previous version that I've since reinstalled, now I can play my other Stern tables, stutter-free as before.

By the way, older versions of apps (like TPA) after you've updated them via iTunes are moved to the trash. If you're careful, you can always archive these older versions for use if a newer version of an app is borked.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Such a shame, still locked out of my purchases of Star Trek, Ridleys and black hole and still never got my wizard goal completions back. Was hoping to come back from this break from the app with good news, guess not..

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I have pretty much switched over from iOS to Android for TPA. The Android builds are just less buggy and they seem to get Android fixes out faster.

I think iOS (on iPad) is a better platform for TPA and the tables "feel" a little more authentic in general - iPad is where I fell in love with TotAN. But I'm just tired of the excruciating delays in fixing issues, with no communication. Star Trek and AC/DC both still have launch bugs in iOS (alpha ramp insert never lights on Star Trek, instant info doesn't work on AC/DC), these bugs either were never introduced or were fixed quickly on Android.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
I have pretty much switched over from iOS to Android for TPA. The Android builds are just less buggy and they seem to get Android fixes out faster.

I think iOS (on iPad) is a better platform for TPA and the tables "feel" a little more authentic in general - iPad is where I fell in love with TotAN. But I'm just tired of the excruciating delays in fixing issues, with no communication. Star Trek and AC/DC both still have launch bugs in iOS (alpha ramp insert never lights on Star Trek, instant info doesn't work on AC/DC), these bugs either were never introduced or were fixed quickly on Android.

This is not an option for anybody in the iOS ecosystem which didn’t have the foresight to purchase all of the Williams/Bally tables prior to 06/30. :rolleyes:

I can affirm that my iPad Pro is an excellent platform for TPA (second only to my Steam-based VPCabs Vertigo) and will just wait for the iOS fixes — as frustrating as that is.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.