Time to change the tablet... Any advice?

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Hi guys,

So after 4 years of intense use, I feel that my Samsung tab s 10.1 is starting to loose its breath...

The battery is not what it used to be...
Feels sluggish...

A lot of tpa tables never really felt smooth, especially compared to the phone I have now (Huawei mate 10 pro)...
Ghostbusters is totally unplayable on the tablet...

So maybe it is time to look into a new one...

Thing is, they don't seem to release a lot of tablet nowadays, the market seems dead!

The Huawei mediapad m5 looks good.
Samsung just released a new tab s4 but I don't know If I can still trust this brand...

Any advice is welcome...

Thanxxx

Envoyé de mon BLA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
My advice: The new 12.9” iPad Pro which will be announced on 09/14/2018.
It will ship with the new A12 bionic chip (64-bit, 6-core CPU, and 3-core GPU.). Due to a new design, all six cores can be used simultaneously.

The new iPad Pro will have an all-new design with no home button and slimmer bezels. Insiders state that it ends up being about the same physical size as this year’s 10.5” iPad Pro model.

I know this will require you to change ecosystems; but all of the Google apps are now available for iOS (Maps, Mail, Docs, Photos) and it will definitely be the best mobile platform for TPA. And, as you pointed out, the Android tablet market is practically dead.

Of course — unless you had the foresight to purchase the Williams and Bally tables on iOS before the 06/30 deadline — all of those tables will be lost in the transition to iOS which is a major bummer. :mad:

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Unfortunately I own every tables on android... And pc...

So it would be a pain to buy them again on ios...

And as you said, lots of tables are gone from tpa if you did not buy them already...
And those missing are amongst the best In my opinion!

So I'm stuck on Android even if the iPad looks really good!

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
It may not be the best experience, but have you tried playing on a Chromebook? On my Acer I can flip the screen back and play Pinball Arcade just fine...it's a bit of a challenge (it's a bit heavier than a tablet, and you have to deal with a keyboard) but it's doable...

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The Galaxy Tab S3 looks to be a well reviewed tablet currently. It's 599$ though so not sure what your budget is like.

I gave up on Mobile after begging for an upward nudging solution in the shake option for two years, but still use it to show off TPA.

I play on a Note 8 though, so almost a tablet :)

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
It may not be the best experience, but have you tried playing on a Chromebook? On my Acer I can flip the screen back and play Pinball Arcade just fine...it's a bit of a challenge (it's a bit heavier than a tablet, and you have to deal with a keyboard) but it's doable...

how does a table like ghostbusters play on the chromebook?

on my old samsung tablet it is almost a slideshow, unplayable

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
Ghostbusters is fine on mine (it's an Asus C302C). Again, it's not a great playing experience (it's too heavy to "hold it in your hands like a pinball machine") but the responsiveness is there.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
well, there is not much to choose from when we talk about decent android tablet. Either some mediocre or worse neverheardof brand from china with MTK and zero support. Or....... well Samsung Tab s4.
S3 is still way to expensive since new S4 is here now (which is also way to expensive for what it is but since there's no competition.......)
I broke my old Z2 and wanted to get another, maybe even Z4 (although the difference in performance is like zero IRL because of higher res screen, only the battery life is worse) but those often go way above 350€ on ebay and HW from 2015 is not worth that much.
Since I wanted LTE version there really wasn't much to choose from, LENOVO Tab 4 10 Plus with SD625, huawei mediapad M5 with kirin and locked bootloader which is no go in my book and Tab S4, the most expensive but at least on paper ticks most boxes. And then Xiaomi announced Mi Pad 4 Plus so I decided to go with that one. I know that in many things it's not on par with S4 but I paid some 330€ for 4GB+128GB LTE version which is less than half price of S4 and the only thing I know I'll miss is OLED screen while SD660 should be enough for TPA. Anyway, I'll report here when I get it since it's not available with global ROM yet and they didn't want to ship with chinese but when I said that I'll take the money back then they changed their mind.
If it won't be good enough I can always go for S4.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Any advice is welcome...

I'm using a Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T813) and I'm happy with it. Ghostbusters runs smooth with ative multiball. Zen Pinball plays better with Standard Graphic setting - but even there not all tables run perfectly smooth. Good enough for me though, as the tablet is not my primary pinball gaming device any more. It's a 4:3 tablet though.

I know what you mean with trusting the brand Samsung. I had a Galaxy Note 10.1 before and it died from one day to another. Ok, I wanted to replace it anyway, but I was a bit disappointed. My wife's Samsung died as well, but at the time when I had to replace my tablet, I didn't really have a great choice. Tablet market sucked.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
I went for the huawei mediapad m5...

My last two phones were huawei and I had nothing to complain about.

The Samsung tab s4 is maybe a tiny bit better but not "twice the price" better...

HulaHoop72

Feb 2, 2018
I'm also thinking it might be time to upgrade.
As deniveempire, I'm on Android, and have a Samsung Tab S.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the new Samsung Tab A 10.5? It's not as pricey as the Tab 4

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...b-a-10-5-tablet-32-gb-black-10183898-pdt.html

Any idea if this can run Ghostbusters?
Some specs:
Qualcomm Adreno 506 Processor
Octa-core
1.8 GHz
RAM 3 GB (600 MHz)
I went for the huawei mediapad m5...

My last two phones were huawei and I had nothing to complain about.

The Samsung tab s4 is maybe a tiny bit better but not "twice the price" better...

Also interested in a report on the Huawei danivempire!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As an iPad Pro 12.9" owner, can't say I'd really recommend it. The screen is great, of course, but as time goes on, I've become less and less a fan of iOS. Random crashes and freezes are pretty common, which can be beyond frustrating...not to mention Apple's general policies...

I've recently purchased a new gaming laptop and am transitioning back to that. Yes, it's heavier, but it's lightyears better for gaming and I mostly play from home anyways. The iPad has now been demoted to a bedtime/bathroom video streaming device. ;)

Last edited:

Plungemaster

Apr 19, 2018
I would advise a Nintendo Switch. With later on a flipgrip or something like it.

Plays awesome. Does not have all tables, but with Williams on the way this will expand quickly.

HulaHoop72

Feb 2, 2018
As an iPad Pro 12.9" owner, can't say I'd really recommend it. The screen is great, of course, but as time goes on, I've become less and less a fan of iOS. Random crashes and freezes are pretty common, which can be beyond frustrating...not to mention Apple's general policies...

I've recently purchased a new gaming laptop and am transitioning back to that. Yes, it's heavier, but it's lightyears better for gaming and I mostly play from home anyways. The iPad has now been demoted to a bedtime/bathroom video streaming device. ;)
Never been an Apple fan myself.
The deadline for owning the Williams tables prompted me to (finally) buy a new PC, but I've always played on Android for "on the go"
But the Tab S is showing it's age. Apart from Ghostbusters, Whoa Nellie runs REALLY slowly!

HulaHoop72

Feb 2, 2018
I would advise a Nintendo Switch. With later on a flipgrip or something like it.

Plays awesome. Does not have all tables, but with Williams on the way this will expand quickly.
Aaahh! Don't tempt me!
I will eventually, just not right now. Especially since there won't be any Williams/Bally for TPA

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
I'm also thinking it might be time to upgrade.
As deniveempire, I'm on Android, and have a Samsung Tab S.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the new Samsung Tab A 10.5? It's not as pricey as the Tab 4

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...b-a-10-5-tablet-32-gb-black-10183898-pdt.html

Any idea if this can run Ghostbusters?
Some specs:
Qualcomm Adreno 506 Processor
Octa-core
1.8 GHz
RAM 3 GB (600 MHz)
Also interested in a report on the Huawei danivempire!

that's just to much for something with SD 450. Youl get the same or more with some chinese noname brand for half the money

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
.....and some impressions about 10" Mi Pad 4 Plus.
TPA runs great. I think that GB is the most demanding table and I did noticed some stuttering on Z2 with SD801 but on Mi Pad with SD660 everything runs fine with all graphic options on high and even with all moving cameras.
I did have a chance to play TPA on Tab S4 also and performance is the same. Apart from OLED, the difference is how it feels in hands. They are almost identical in dimensions and weight but Samsung is better for prolonged usage time and I can't tell exactly why. It's not that Mi Pad is heavier at one side or something, I think that it's more because samsung has a slightly wider bezels and not so rounded corners and edges.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Any recommendations on a small Android tablet? My Nvidia K1, which I loved initially, is already long in the tooth and Farsight has still not been able to reproduce or fix my "dead mode" issues in Ghostbusters and Whoa Nellie. My entire TPA collection is in Android, so iPad is not an option (unfortunately).

I'd like to hear more impressions on the Mediapad as well (just read about it on the Wirecutter).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.