Zen Pinball FX3 Williams Pinball Volume One

Herbert Birdsfoot

Nov 2, 2017
Just bought a PS4 last week just for ZEN's Williams tables. To my surprise, all the tables which i bought on my PS3 i can play now on my PS4. Oh thank you ZEN so very much, thank you, thank you, thank you. ZEN lets you access the service menu for free! ZEN lets you set up the steepness of every table for free! (at least for Pinball FX2 that was the case)
See Farsight, this is how you treat your customers.
I will buy all the Williams and Bally tables from ZEN which will be released in the future.
Bye Farsight, you have lost a customer. I regret every Euro that i put into your products.

Last edited:

Herbert Birdsfoot

Nov 2, 2017
Regarding the physics comparison video:
I guess i can tell the reason for the different bounces at least for the dead drop. If you watch that part closely then you can see that the ball on the real table is going much faster towards the flipper than in the simulation. Therefore it bounces more.

Last edited:

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Operators menu was nixed entirely in Pinball FX3, I could never find a reason why. It's a shame, there were a lot of good options there. I like Pinball FX3 a lot, but enough was removed that I still have FX2 installed.

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Man am I super excited for Williams Pinball Volume 1 to be released on October 9th. Especially since Family Mode will be turned off now. Played betas 1 and 2 and I was super impressed, even when the physics went slightly the wrong direction in beta 2. From Spacies video, it looks like the physics are close to spot on now after beta 4. I can't wait.

Herbert Birdsfoot

Nov 2, 2017
to Gorgar and to zmcvay: Well actually you are right. Service menu is gone in FX3, which is a pity. I hope they will bring it back with an update sometimes. What is gone as well is the two player side by side competition mode on one screen. That was always a lot of of fun with friends. Maybe the new physics engine is too demanding?

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Title update is out on PS4. I tried to trick it into unlocking Fish Tales by changing the date and going offline, but no dice :(

RJB

May 1, 2013
Hey! guys,

While I'm certainly looking forward to trying out "real life" tables in PFX3, and I fully appreciate it's how the tables play/feel that will always be the most important thing, am I the only one on here that's going to miss having standard & wizard goals to go for on the Zen versions?

From what I can tell there is a single trophy to unlock attached to each table, but other than that the only incentive to keep playing will be to get a better score, personally I'm going to really miss the goals that you get on TPA & SPA as I found having these goals is a massive incentive to keep playing, THOUGHTS?

TimeWalker

Apr 27, 2018
[MENTION=2564]RJB[/MENTION] Yup, the scoring will be pretty much the only factor in being an incentive but I mean, that's what Pinball's all about, right? :p
Also I'd guess that the achievement that's tied to it will be reaching wizard mode anyway so that'll be challenging for some people enough anyway
The only other thing there exists are Challenges like 5 minute score attack and one ball challenge which could maybe peak your interest (it shows 45 challenge stars) if that's your thing.

My thought is that I never really cared for the extra goals in Pinball Arcade. I already have some people that I can regularly compete with so that already fuels my incentive to reach the highest score. Also being a bit of a novice, I just plainly can't reach any wizard modes yet so I've still got a long way to go with that anyway

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
The new achievements are :

Nice Catch!
Score a Super Jackpot on the Fish Tales™ table. (Single player only)

King of all Kingdoms
Start the Battle for the Kingdom mode on the Medieval Madness™ table. (Single player only)

High Speed
Start the Redline Mania on The Getaway: High Speed II™ table. (Single player only)

Crazy Bob
Complete the Outer Space mode on the Junk Yard™ table. (Single player only)

RJB

May 1, 2013
[MENTION=2564]RJB[/MENTION] Yup, the scoring will be pretty much the only factor in being an incentive but I mean, that's what Pinball's all about, right? :p
Also I'd guess that the achievement that's tied to it will be reaching wizard mode anyway so that'll be challenging for some people enough anyway
The only other thing there exists are Challenges like 5 minute score attack and one ball challenge which could maybe peak your interest (it shows 45 challenge stars) if that's your thing.

My thought is that I never really cared for the extra goals in Pinball Arcade. I already have some people that I can regularly compete with so that already fuels my incentive to reach the highest score. Also being a bit of a novice, I just plainly can't reach any wizard modes yet so I've still got a long way to go with that anyway

Well, I guess it's just a personal thing, but, I will certainly miss the standard/wizard goals you get with Farsight's Pinball, I just feel the Zen versions are going to feel a little empty without any such system in place, I agree 100% pinball is all about getting that higher score on each go, but, for me the goals were a major part (and still are) of why I continue playing TPA & SPA, personally I think they add a lot to the overall experience and enjoyment of each table.:)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
The new achievements are :

Nice Catch!
Score a Super Jackpot on the Fish Tales™ table. (Single player only)

King of all Kingdoms
Start the Battle for the Kingdom mode on the Medieval Madness™ table. (Single player only)

High Speed
Start the Redline Mania on The Getaway: High Speed II™ table. (Single player only)

Crazy Bob
Complete the Outer Space mode on the Junk Yard™ table. (Single player only)

Funny. Those are my goals IRL.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I don't miss the wizard goals at all. Part of that comes from the fact I often would clear the standard goals within 3 games without even looking to see what they were, part of it is from the frustration over certain goals that were either cruel or stupidly arbitrary. The biggest factor in making me not care was having all my progress wiped for the nth time due to either reinstalling, buying a new computer, or making the wonderful mistake of opening the game on my laptop and having it wipe progress from the home PC (because FarSight refused to figure out what every other game company has, saving progress data to the Steam cloud and not looking locally on your hard drive).

If you are new to Zen, I suggest you build up your friends list on whatever platform you are on. The in game pop-ups for how close to beating a friend's score and the subsequent passing of it are great motivators. You also have the 'matchup' mode, which is a constant weekly tournament (so long as you enjoy grinding), and then there's my favorite, the custom tournaments. Playing those, setting up my own, it completely changed the level of enjoyment I was getting out of a Zen platform by a large factor. Lastly, there's all the leveling up you can do for each table. Play the 1 ball, 5 minute, and survival challenges and max them out. Play the table and max out all the bonus upgrades. It's no small task to earn every star available on a table, so let that be what you chase instead of wizard goals.

Zen's intent with FX3 was to really establish the sense of a pinball community via interaction with other players. The only thing it's really missing in that respect is head to head, but those custom tournaments come real close to satisfying that. There are various threads on this forum with everyone's game ID for friending. Add people, whether you know them or not. They're from this forum, you'll at least recognize the name as you chase and pass their score.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
As long as the trophies are “make it to the wizard mode/main goal of the table” and not something stupid, I am fine with just one trophy per table.

Does anyone know when Fish Tales will be playable on PS4? I am hoping that it magically becomes playable at midnight because I have a pretty busy day tomorrow and probably won’t get to play much. But I guess it is more likely that it will become playable once the other three go on sale.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I don't miss the wizard goals at all. Part of that comes from the fact I often would clear the standard goals within 3 games without even looking to see what they were, part of it is from the frustration over certain goals that were either cruel or stupidly arbitrary. The biggest factor in making me not care was having all my progress wiped for the nth time due to either reinstalling, buying a new computer, or making the wonderful mistake of opening the game on my laptop and having it wipe progress from the home PC (because FarSight refused to figure out what every other game company has, saving progress data to the Steam cloud and not looking locally on your hard drive).

If you are new to Zen, I suggest you build up your friends list on whatever platform you are on. The in game pop-ups for how close to beating a friend's score and the subsequent passing of it are great motivators. You also have the 'matchup' mode, which is a constant weekly tournament (so long as you enjoy grinding), and then there's my favorite, the custom tournaments. Playing those, setting up my own, it completely changed the level of enjoyment I was getting out of a Zen platform by a large factor. Lastly, there's all the leveling up you can do for each table. Play the 1 ball, 5 minute, and survival challenges and max them out. Play the table and max out all the bonus upgrades. It's no small task to earn every star available on a table, so let that be what you chase instead of wizard goals.

Zen's intent with FX3 was to really establish the sense of a pinball community via interaction with other players. The only thing it's really missing in that respect is head to head, but those custom tournaments come real close to satisfying that. There are various threads on this forum with everyone's game ID for friending. Add people, whether you know them or not. They're from this forum, you'll at least recognize the name as you chase and pass their score.

I couldn't see a thread for Steam ID's specifically for FX3 (only for TPA), so I've just made a new one - think that's the best way to do it, but correct me if you think its better done a different way.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.