Zen Pinball FX3 Williams Pinball Volume One

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I also noticed: Medieval Madness has family mode enabled. You'll notice during the Dragon cutscenes with the word "CENSORED" on them.

This needs to be an option.

EDIT: I'm in class right now AND I JUST CAN'T KEEP MY EYES OFF IT!

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
What a great surprise this morning. Might have been better yesterday when I had the day off though ;). Plays great, looks great, sounds great, would like to tweak the brightness settings, but hopefully that will be in the main release.

So, so many questions, but it's fantastic that new players will be able to get these somewhere other than VP. I think my biggest concern is that Zen won't be looking farther back than the DMD era for tables, but only time will tell. Fingers crossed for the Shadow and Indy.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Agreed! I'm really hoping that Zen will tackle some of the system 11 tables.

Believe me, I will hammer that point until I'm blue in the face.

I think for now they are going to focus on DMD because that is what the current Zen base of players is used to. I don't know how much cross-over there is, but according to Zen a lot of their customers either never played TPA or have never played real pinball. So giving what their customers are used to in the form of tables with DMDs and rule sets that are more akin to current Zen tables makes sense. But we asked them, and they said it is the entirety of the WMS license they can do. I guess that's another point I'll have to bring up to Mel Kirk when we interview him for the BlahCade Pinball Podcast in 2 weeks.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
First game on Fish Tales and its the first table I've got into the top 50 given there haven't been 10,000+ playing it yet! I'll have to have a proper go this evening, after I've done the (delayed) weekly food shop.

dmil666

May 19, 2018
Just played the 4 tables for a bit and they're quite impressive. The feel is very different from the TPA tables, as is the lighting. Not bad, just different. I like what Zen has done, at least so far, although it didn't improve my playing - I still stink.
Kinda bummed that there are no backglass images for cabinet mode, hopefully that'll happen on release? Please? The "Williams backglass view" thing is kinda cool, but no replacement.
The various camera views are typically good, Zen seems to always have a view that I like or need.
Changing the keymapping for the keyboard (and keystroke based controllers) could be a lot friendlier. I want to change CTRL to be the ball launch, but it keeps the mapping to NUDGE too. The same thing happens on most of the keys. This isn't very helpful.

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I’m really pleased about this. Oddly enough I called this when I heard Tpa lost the license. There had to be a reason and that was the only reason I thought feasible. I emailed Tpa a few years back and because they said they were working on cab support I built my cab and purchased a dmd. Then when they changed their mind I wasn’t best pleased as I’d spent money on stuff and thought it’d never get used. But zen sorted cab support and Zsolt was kind enough to let me use the graphics from Wild West Rsmpage and my cab was good to go. Pfx3 came out and when it did I hardly played Tpa...it just didn’t come close...which was a shame because I liked playing real cabs so to speak. Now this has happened I’m really pleased. Not taking anything away from Tpa but zen are top quality. I emailed Zsolt a few times and he was so upfront and down to Earth. He really seems a positive guy and that shows in his work and with his team. And obviously Williams and Bally see this and probably took a gamble but that looks like it’s gonna pay off. Really hoping it’ll all be integrated for cab use...that really would be awesome. But not sure if that’s something on the cards or not...but really would be the icing on the cake.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
I commented on Zen's FB page about how great it is they now have the Williams license and told them hopefully they can make the System 11 tables FS wasn't able to make.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Can someone explain the Williams Backglass view thing. I didn't see it when I tried the beta

On the Xbox controller use the right analog stick, push it up and you will see the backglass. Don't know what the keyboard setting for this is.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks Xanija.

For those that are wondering if Zen/Williams will support cabinet mode, doesn't Zen's FAQ saying that all Williams tables will have all FX3 features included mean cabinet mode will be included?

dmil666

May 19, 2018
On the Xbox controller use the right analog stick, push it up and you will see the backglass. Don't know what the keyboard setting for this is.

Press and hold the "V" key to see the backglass. If you don't hold the key down, the screen just jumps like a big nudge. Confused the hell out of me for a while....

dmil666

May 19, 2018
Just a warning, if you opt in for the demo it nukes your existing FX3 tables so you can't run the beta with your existing tables.. That being said, the tables looks great and the from what I see they play "right". Never thought Zen would jump into the recreations but I am very glad they did.

Yep, it nukes the lot including all of my backglass images that I'd rounded up. I have backups so it's not a huge deal, but it would have been nice if Zen would have backed up the existing tables and stuff for when we can have our old tables and the new ones too.
We DO get our old table collection back, right?

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
Press and hold the "V" key to see the backglass. If you don't hold the key down, the screen just jumps like a big nudge. Confused the hell out of me for a while....

If they already went through the trouble of animating back glass I'd hope they'd throw second screen/ monitor in for cabinet users so we have what b2s provides on vp. Much better then a static picture

GAH1068

Mar 6, 2018
Yep, it nukes the lot including all of my backglass images that I'd rounded up. I have backups so it's not a huge deal, but it would have been nice if Zen would have backed up the existing tables and stuff for when we can have our old tables and the new ones too.
We DO get our old table collection back, right?

Didn't even think of the backglass. Glad I have a backup of it too. Releasing the beta is great, not having a way to play it without removing all the other content makes it pretty hard to really help test.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
For those who were able to play the Beta, what is the nudge like, is it like zen or more forgiving like TPA?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.