BlahCade #147: And the WMS License Goes To… Zen Studios!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The announcement of who has worldwide digital rights to WMS has landed!

Gratulálunk to Zen Studios!

This show is jam-packed full of facts about the launch announcement and is the companion guide to what is a massive podcast.

But first, we’ll forgive Steam listeners for ignoring us totally and immediately downloading and experiencing the Zen Studios Public Beta of Williams Pinball Volume 1.

Accessing the Williams Pinball Beta:

1. Find Pinball FX3 in your Steam library.
  2. Right click on Pinball FX3 side-menu item in your Steam library and select Properties.
  3. Find the Betas tab and click on it.
  4. In the drop-down menu select williams_pinball_beta.
  5. Your game will switch to this different version. You might have to restart your Steam client to complete the process.
  6. Click Play.

After you’ve picked your jaw off the ground and put your eyeballs back in their sockets, come back and listen to what we reckon about it all. The download link to the show is right here for you.

http://blahcadepinball.com/147-zen-studios-wms-license

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I have about 20 or so podcasts (or more?) to listen to stretching back to God-knows-when. It's just not convenient for me to listen anywhere though. Not any more, anyway. It's now got to the point where there's so many in the backlog I don't know when or where to start.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I have about 20 or so podcasts (or more?) to listen to stretching back to God-knows-when. It's just not convenient for me to listen anywhere though. Not any more, anyway. It's now got to the point where there's so many in the backlog I don't know when or where to start.

The last couple of episodes would be good ones to pick up from. Declare BlahCade Bankruptcy and get back in the business of catching up every week or so.

If you have a phone, you can use your commute times or house chore times to catch up on podcasts. I had a backlog of about 9 Head2Head Pinball Podcast episodes to catch up on. A couple of weeks of train commutes quickly resolved that issue.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

It also helps to listen at 1.5x or 2x speed!

As for what to listen to, depends on how much of the licensing misery you want to listen to. I recommend episode 136 in particular though (Speculation About WMS Successor) as it makes us look really really smart. #140 is all about the Arcooda cabinet experience, so that's good. And then there's last week's with Mart from Pixel Magic talking about Zaccaria tables, something we almost never had talked about before.

This week's, #147 is entirely about the announcement, much of which you've now read about in the forum. Next week's is going to be a doozy that I think everyone who follows digital pinball should listen in on, and the week after that we'll be interviewing Mel Kirk from Zen. So don't worry about the back log, catch those I've mentioned and then get back to the others as time permits. So much had to do with the license loss over the last 4 or 5 months, it might seem old hat.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Another great listen. It made my 1hr 20m flight fly by (no pun intended).

I had a play with the FX3 beta before I listened to this and I was impressed but disappointed with the lighting. I have since seen the mention of the gamma slider in the other thread so am as happy as Larry now.

You guys sounded in the podcast like I feel today - like you just got a new girlfriend and you just can't stop given her attention ;)

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Another great listen. It made my 1hr 20m flight fly by (no pun intended).

I had a play with the FX3 beta before I listened to this and I was impressed but disappointed with the lighting. I have since seen the mention of the gamma slider in the other thread so am as happy as Larry now.

You guys sounded in the podcast like I feel today - like you just got a new girlfriend and you just can't stop given her attention ;)
SilverBalls feel exactly the same !!! boys great podcast , I watch on youtube all the time !!! :cool:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
SilverBalls feel exactly the same !!! boys great podcast , I watch on youtube all the time !!! :cool:

Just saw a great video on Spacies Arcade Youtube channel that you recommended to the forum recently.

He uploaded a very constructive video on the Pinball FX3 Williams release. Hopefully Zen will take a look at it as it should be helpful for them.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
SilverBalls , yep watched it this morning ,loved it , plus I played it this morning , felt great and the visuals as usual , stunning !!!:cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, that gamma slider info we will for sure pass along. The fact it's been there for all this time, I'm just smacking my head.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah, that gamma slider info we will for sure pass along. The fact it's been there for all this time, I'm just smacking my head.
Tann pointed out that the slider isn't totally what we thought it was. It should only be used for minor corrections.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Jared I`ve been using the slider from day 1 , depends what table you are using it on . I found it`s up to the individual what you like , also I have every table on Zen and now I`m looking forward to all the Williams and Bally all over again . I`m like you , so impressed it knocked my socks off :cool:

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Tann pointed out that the slider isn't totally what we thought it was. It should only be used for minor corrections.

If it's pleasing to the eyes, then why does it matter? I think it's very cool to have Tann's informative post and the real meaning behind that setting, but your "should only be used" can mislead others into not even trying it, others who are looking for something, anything less they skip the game. To each is own I say (as I'm sure so do you) and let's remember if they use the option, it's not like they're breaking the freaking game :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If it's pleasing to the eyes, then why does it matter? I think it's very cool to have Tann's informative post and the real meaning behind that setting, but your "should only be used" can mislead others into not even trying it, others who are looking for something, anything less they skip the game. To each is own I say (as I'm sure so do you) and let's remember if they use the option, it's not like they're breaking the freaking game :)

Correct, not breaking the game. However, we should not be satisfied and let it be. We should still make a stink for true environmental settings. The bulb strength is perfect as is, and it’s not a setting you can change on a real table anyway. The only reason it was needed in TPA was because they always had them set so bright the inserts would bloom out. And I don’t even need a slider for the room. Just lights out, pub, and lights on would be good enough. For what it’s worth, I consider the current lighting to be pub, and it’s the look I most prefer when playing real tables.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Correct, not breaking the game. However, we should not be satisfied and let it be. We should still make a stink for true environmental settings. The bulb strength is perfect as is, and it’s not a setting you can change on a real table anyway. The only reason it was needed in TPA was because they always had them set so bright the inserts would bloom out. And I don’t even need a slider for the room. Just lights out, pub, and lights on would be good enough. For what it’s worth, I consider the current lighting to be pub, and it’s the look I most prefer when playing real tables.

Agreed. Bring on even more options!

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
just watched (youtube) the new "how zen got the license" - couldn't find the thread here.

just wanted to add on to the comment of who nellie's only real use of lcd (not dmd) in the apron to show replay score value...
found out by playing during a 4-player game in a tournament (pabst version) that i was having trouble remembering what score the other players had since there is only one score reel on the backglass that updates score to each player. someone in my group mentioned the tiny lcd showed all the players scores (i never notice it there before)

aha moment - legit use
wish they would show the score reel in TPA and add on the lcd if you are playing a multiplayer game - like how its actually used IRL

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.