Cabinet mode in 4K v 1080p a real game changer

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Got my new 55" up and running and it's awesome with the X-arcade. Unfortunately my GTX 960 can't handle 4K very well, but it still looks incredible even in 1080p. I could at least see how it looked in 4K even if it wasn't really playable and to me it didn't look that much different, but I'll have to hook my laptop up to the 55" one of these days to really compare 4K vs 1080p.

PS4 Pro stuff looks amazing with the HDR.

Also watched Spiderman Homecoming in Dolby Vision...oh baby! :cool:

Last edited:

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
So has there been any mention of a 4k mode for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X for Pinball FX3 if this is already an option for the PC version - hopefully not too difficult to port the assets across surely? Perhaps they are not powerful enough for full 4k / 60fps gameplay yet? Have Zen said anything official?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Got my new 55" up and running and it's awesome with the X-arcade. Unfortunately my GTX 960 can't handle 4K very well, but it still looks incredible even in 1080p. I could at least see how it looked in 4K even if it wasn't really playable and to me it didn't look that much different, but I'll have to hook my laptop up to the 55" one of these days to really compare 4K vs 1080p.

PS4 Pro stuff looks amazing with the HDR.

Also watched Spiderman Homecoming in Dolby Vision...oh baby! :cool:

I never get to let my TV show off it’s 4K abilities. No player, only own one 4K disk because it came with 3D version too. That I do often, as I just got my UK imports of 3D versions for Black Panther and Infinity War. A lot of 3D also displays the IMAX version as opposed to the standard presentation of the 2D version. Just sucks that because of 4K being favored by the studios, the only way I can get 3D is by importing.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I never get to let my TV show off it’s 4K abilities. No player, only own one 4K disk because it came with 3D version too. That I do often, as I just got my UK imports of 3D versions for Black Panther and Infinity War. A lot of 3D also displays the IMAX version as opposed to the standard presentation of the 2D version. Just sucks that because of 4K being favored by the studios, the only way I can get 3D is by importing.

Thankfully the built-in Roku has a bunch of 4K and Dolby Vision stuff for rent, so I’m splurging a bit. I rented Deadpool 2 as well, but both the wife and I much preferred Spider-man Homecoming in terms of visuals and story as well.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thankfully the built-in Roku has a bunch of 4K and Dolby Vision stuff for rent, so I’m splurging a bit. I rented Deadpool 2 as well, but both the wife and I much preferred Spider-man Homecoming in terms of visuals and story as well.

I can watch Amazon shows in 4K, but I hardly notice a difference while the quality often dips to SD due to streaming. I may have 70 mbps download, but apparently that’s not enough. So I stick with the 1080p stream.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
For me HDR makes a noticeable visual difference, where 4K isn't as big of a jump. Could be different on a Pincab. I'd love to see how 4K would look on one

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I'm super late..

Prior to DX11 update for TPA I was using a tool to bump up the internal resolution the game would render at, then it would downsample to the native resolution, acting as a form of antialiasing.
Later on, TPAs DX11 update let you select the resolution to downsample from. You can then turn off any other antialiasing stuff.

Since you had a GTX970, Nvidia had added a feature called Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) which does that very thing for any game(?). I would suggest downsampling from 1440p to 1080p to anyone who can't run a 4K native panel yet.

I don't have any recommendations for 4K panels, VA-panels contrast shift when viewed on its side, which a lot of 4K panels are atm. OLED doesnt come in small/cheap panels, and MicroLED isnt in mass production yet

part of the crispness issue with 1080p content could be the TVs scaler

Last edited:

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
I'm super late..

Prior to DX11 update for TPA I was using a tool to bump up the internal resolution the game would render at, then it would downsample to the native resolution, acting as a form of antialiasing.
Later on, TPAs DX11 update let you select the resolution to downsample from. You can then turn off any other antialiasing stuff.

Since you had a GTX970, Nvidia had added a feature called Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) which does that very thing for any game(?). I would suggest downsampling from 1440p to 1080p to anyone who can't run a 4K native panel yet.

I don't have any recommendations for 4K panels, VA-panels contrast shift when viewed on its side, which a lot of 4K panels are atm. OLED doesnt come in small/cheap panels, and MicroLED isnt in mass production yet

part of the crispness issue with 1080p content could be the TVs scaler

This is an excellent recommendation. I render Pinball FX3 at 2880x1620 with 2.25x DSR scaled to 1080p. I run FX3 at 120hz which seems to help make the movement of the ball appear closer to what it does on a real pinball table.

For FX3 my GTX 970 can run all the tables at DSR 2.25x with the settings maxed, but anti-aliasing turned off. I find that I don't need anti-aliasing when I'm using DSR to downsample the image to 1080p. I have the DSR smoothness setting at 20%.

So far all the tables I've tried in FX3 have worked perfectly at 120hz. Pinball Arcade only works properly at 60hz so I can actually run it at 4k with DSR since I only need 60fps instead of 120fps. Again with the Anti-Aliasing turned off.

Was hoping to buy a new GPU soon, but I'm not particularly enthused with Nvidia's current 2080 lineup. The price is just too steep for me. Might change my mind if the price comes down or I may grab a 1080 or some such if the prices drop to an acceptable level. Nvidia is going to continue selling the 1000 series cards through the end of 2018 and possibly longer if they can't unload all the excess 1k series inventory they have by the end of the year.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Damn, looks like I'm out of luck since I'm on a 960, so no DSR (ugh, why did I have to be a cheapskate back in 2014 when I bought this card? lol)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Well, good news: if I turn off AA completely, I can run @ 4K just fine! I guess I didn't think to try it before, so thanks for the tips guys.

Also, no jaggies at all running at 4K, whereas if I go back to 1080p with 8x AA, there are noticeable jaggies on the rails.

I get an fps dip when switching cameras, but gameplay is smooth.

Last edited:

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Yes running in 4K pretty much negates the need for anti-aliasing. Running DSR on a 1080p screen is a pretty good improvement and less taxing then using many of the AA filters (this is true in VPX as well). Nothing beats running on a 4K screen but those without a 4K TV but with a decent GPU really need to try DSR

Members online

Members online