Farsight must counterattack!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
It is obvious now that FS will never get back the WMS license.

But Farsight must fight! (Farfight! )

---------------------------

FS has been one of the main studios trying to keep the pinball spirit alive since the Dark Ages in early 2000's, and therefore participate greatly (to not said mainly) to the pinball revival.

They stated after the Judgement Day: "Yes, we will continue to support all of the tables in Pinball Arcade."

Drastic changes are not expected (like remastering the S1 tables), but there are two things that FS can do, requiring not so much work, it won't annoy anybody (most of the players against it already left the boat....), and shows that FS is not done:

1) Nerf the nudging:

The nudging is the same across all the tables, so it won't require tweaking the tables one by one.

- The nudging shouldn't apply to the ball when the ball is in the open playfield.

Example: When the ball goes SDTM from the top of the table (we call that an "airplane" [avion] in french), it should not be possible to steer the ball to one of the flipper, by pushing one time the stick in the opposite direction. Totally not possible IRL. Period.

2) Reset the leaderboards:

Most of them are broken anyway (wrong IDs, glitched scores). I don't think it will annoy Tarek & Friends, as they moved on something else since a long time.
Clean state, proper leaderboards based on the last versions of each table.

I don't even preach for myself, because if such an update ever happens, there's a high probability it doesn't make its way to the dead PS3.

It's just for the sake of FS and TPA.

So, Farsight, "One rule. Everyone fights, no one quits."

- Farsight fella ----------------- TPA player --------------- Farsight fella ----- Farsight chick

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
If they make such a change, they must reset the leaderboards.
Same goes for an operator who makes a big change to a game or something is fixed, reset the high scores.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I still really like the idea that Chris and Jared discussed on an old episode of the podcast where there are monthly leaderboards, and the "legacy" leaderboards get archived. The whole handling of the leaderboards has historically been of very low importance to Farsight, so I wouldn't expect them to do anything any time soon.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
An overhaul of nudging would be welcome.

Played Zens Fish Tales and even though I would not want that exact nudging system it actually made me happy that it was allot less and more dangerous to nudge.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Those changes would be very welcome, but what FarSight really needs to fight back with is content.

Seriously, without putting out some Sterns, Gottliebs and DEs people want, without making people wait as long as it took for BBH/WNBJM to release, no amount of Spring cleaning to existing content will be enough to keep up.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
Those changes would be very welcome, but what FarSight really needs to fight back with is content.

Seriously, without putting out some Sterns, Gottliebs and DEs people want, without making people wait as long as it took for BBH/WNBJM to release, no amount of Spring cleaning to existing content will be enough to keep up.

Ever since Farsight announced it wasn't doing monthly releases anymore it really took away the motivation for a lot of people to play TPA, then when Chris and Jared had the one podcast interview with the head of Farsight, he talked about 5-6 tables a year which I didn't think would be too bad, roughly a bi-monthly schedule, but this year has mainly been the end of season 10 with Banzai Run, the end of the Williams' license and Arrocoda mess, then the incorporation of the Stern tables into TPA and finally the two new releases of BBH and Whoa Nellie! and that looks like it for this year. :(

Really liked the idea that Blahcade podcast had about focusing on the EM's and early SS of Gottlieb and then maybe 3-4 heavy hitter tables from Stern that would get people excited again like Metallica. Maybe do a 3-4 pack of EM's, since they seem to be fairly easy to scan in quickly, SS tables like Joker Poker, Spirit, Alien Star and Count-Down in a Gottlieb pack and then the big Stern releases.

Possibly get another manufacturer's license like Capcom or Game Plan as well.

Nov 18, 2016
Having the Zen announcement about the Williams deal come out only a couple days before Farsight released BBH/WNBJP felt like an aggressive fighting move, coincidental or not.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I`ve been buying from Zen and TPA from the start . both have done a great job . the reality is Zen are always spot on , release dates , 9-12 tables a year, they always talk to there players . Chris and Jared hit the nail on the bloody head when they said in episode 148 , TPA should stick to the older Gottlieb and Stern tables and throw a few new Sterns in for good measure !!! I`d be happy with that :cool:

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
Still waiting for Gottlieb’s “Spirit of ‘76” which has been on my Most Wanted List for about 8 years!

Last edited:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Having the Zen announcement about the Williams deal come out only a couple days before Farsight released BBH/WNBJP felt like an aggressive fighting move, coincidental or not.

You could say, releasing BBH/WN right before Zen releases the Star Wars Pack feels like an aggressive move as well. For Zen I'm sure they have a way longer planning phase for announcements and releases than FarSight has. I don't think either company looks too much what the other company is doing, at least not regarding release schedules.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
I posted in a similar thread here that Stern needs to give FS a couple of big tables to digitize. They don't have to be games that came out the past couple of years. TSPP and Family guy came about a decade ago and would give a big bump to TPA, along with some EM's and maybe Seawitch.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I posted in a similar thread here that Stern needs to give FS a couple of big tables to digitize. They don't have to be games that came out the past couple of years. TSPP and Family guy came about a decade ago and would give a big bump to TPA, along with some EM's and maybe Seawitch.

Yep, though Family Guy might be an issue with there already being a digital pinball from Zen with that license. But if Stern helped them put out TSPP and LoTR, I think those are the two 'holy grail' tables people have most wanted from Stern for years and years.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
I actually prefer the Sterns of this decade more than the 2000's and more recent ones like ST and AC/DC I like more than most Williams/Bally from the 90's (MM, T2, and AFM not withstanding). I think Farsight is in a strong position with the Sterns and Gottliebs, although I won't marginalize the loss of WMS licenses.

Spirit of 76, Atlantis, Surf Champ, Royal Flush....give the people what they want.

Farsight deserves a lot of credit for driving digital pinball, all the way back to the hall of fame sets for old PlayStation.

I'll probably but some Zen (haven't yet) but I will continue to purchase every Farsight release if I get modern Sterns and classic Gottliebs.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Yep, though Family Guy might be an issue with there already being a digital pinball from Zen with that license. But if Stern helped them put out TSPP and LoTR, I think those are the two 'holy grail' tables people have most wanted from Stern for years and years.

Tron and Spider-Man are another couple of really popular Stern options, although Spider-Man is in the same boat as Family Guy in already having been done by Zen.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
At some point didn't Stern include digital rights in contracts when they secured licenses? I don't remember when that started it or if it's been consistent.

Members online

Members online