BlahCade #148: WMS License Speculation Time

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
In this podcast, we'll dive into some speculation about how the evolution of the Williams and Bally licence properties changed hands over time.

We're also going to focus in on some evidence-backed timings that are critical in understanding how the changeover between Farsight and Zen may have happened.

There's also coverage of the FX3 Williams Pinball public beta to go through, including some opinions about how the DNA of the Alpha is being diluted in the Beta.

Also, a big welcome to all our new listeners. It's great to have you along for the ride during this exciting time in digital pinball.

See http://blahcadepinball.com/148-wms-license-speculation-time for full details about the show.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Nor can we [MENTION=2636]wolfson[/MENTION]!

Don't forget to add any questions to the thread I just created in the Zen Forum.

I've already got some of the questions from the threads, but this way everyone gets a crack at putting their burning questions down for Mel.

Good times!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Looking forward to it.

(I watch when they get added to YouTube.)

I think we're going to have to give some more attention to the YouTube stuff now we have folks watching there.

You probably watch other types of vodcasts [MENTION=6915]Citizen[/MENTION], so what are some good ones that have both a video and audio stream delivery method.

I'm thinking we could at least try adding a bump-in slide and maybe see if we can inject some music stings into the podcast so I can do less post-production and get the show out quicker.

Any feedback from our YouTube subbers welcome here.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
They made the Nudge wonky? Man, gotta check it out again.... but basically I am just waiting for the release version and then make a decision on 'make or break' buying or not. That being said, I really feel like a cheater with TPA nudging.

Some people like SuperBand… Not saying I am one of them, I'm old skool.

If Zen keep on having Flipper problems then really how good recreations will it really be... I don't want a PinballArcade 2 but from Zen, it really needs to 'up' the game into really good emulation - otherwise what's the point?

Now that TPA Williams tables are 'off the table', ha ha argh… can't we have them turn off the Family mode?

And I'll push again for more fixes and especially updates for the 'lost tables' before they get waaaaay in the back-mirror. I did get a response from Jimmy at FS that he hoped for some; got shot down by a fellow pinballer though but we saw it totally differently - I see Matt say he is working on some stuff that he can do for S1 and S2 tables and so it can be updated and looking better, whilst the detractor say 'everything is locked behind legacy code'...

I'm not an EM game fan but I would certainly like to see more releases of classic EMs.

I liked your speculation. In these times where Alex Jones are considered the epicenter of trustworthy and the President likes to spout the one wild exaggeration or made up on the spot 'fact' after the other, your speculation are really to exact and specific; you should include some Aliens, and I mean Aliens from outer-space!!!

Family mode: anything fantastical needs to be banned: no Mars Attack, it is silly - Family mode - Remove, not allowed. Adams Family, can not exist - Family mode, remove, erase!!!! Don't accept anything that can make a young mind wonder and think, it is blasphemes! Strike down all the pinballers! Damn how I hate theses silly people, they are everywhere :(

Nice PodCast.

Cheers!

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
You probably watch other types of vodcasts

I'd like to give you some feedback here but honestly I don't really follow any other podcasts/vlogs. I'll occasionally watch some isolated thing here or there but I'm basically a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. I wouldn't even know what constitutes good production values.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
I'd like to give you some feedback here but honestly I don't really follow any other podcasts/vlogs. I'll occasionally watch some isolated thing here or there but I'm basically a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. I wouldn't even know what constitutes good production values.
I'd just like to celebrate Citizens #666 post - a milestone for sure.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Some nice fill-in-the-blanks-conspiracy-theory-speculation in there. I'm impressed.

I didn't play the first version of the public beta of FX3 WMS, only the current version, so I don't have a comparison with how it was at first. I agree on the difficulty level of FT. It's not there, and multiball in particular is far too easy because it's too easy to trap balls (I made this observation elsewhere). Unfortunately for most people, the only comparison they have for FX3 is TPA - how often does anyone come across a real Fish Tales these days? - so it's the comparison that will be used. As things stand, while I'm impressed with what I'm seeing, it's not anywhere near enough to make me spend money on something I already have. If their first pack had had a license in it - even a "minor" one like The Shadow or Johnny Mnemonic or Demolition Man (yeah, I know, Sly & Sandra & Snipes on the backglass...) - maybe. If I'd managed to not discover TPA at the end of 2013, sure, this would now be an insta-buy... but it's too soon to replace my DVD/Blu-Ray collection with 4K digital (to use Chris's analogy).

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Jared and Chris , I`ve said elsewhere your youtube Blahcade and Spacies Arcade are the only ones I follow !!!:cool: for me I have 3 platforms , from what I`ve seen , my mulla is ready !!! I like what I see , there will be some tweaking that`s why there is no release date , because normally when Zen announce something it`s out within 4 weeks . it`s way better than TPA . things I like to see , tilt back to what it should be , rating up to teen or next one up , at least 1 new table we never had before per pack . as for licensed tables , have a look at Zen`s list , unreal . I have all 78 tables on 3 platforms . Farsight could never do what Zen has done , just look Marvel , Lucas , Fox , Disney plus all the others . this a new era , bring it on :cool:

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
We have a Fish Tales on location in Madison, it's a really fast and difficult game. The TPA version is actually one of TPA's tougher and more realistic games, but in real life the shots are even tighter. I really hope Zen doesn't nerf the tables - or if they do, give us the ability to turn on realistic physics a-la- Zaccaria...

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I would also discard anything Tarek does with these tables. He's been blowing up digital pinball in all forms for 20+ years, since the original Pro Pinball tables and probably before that when there weren't online leaderboards. (He's like the 1995 Jonah Lomu of Digital Pinball - an unstoppable freak that can't be compared to anything else - ask Jared or any Aussie/New Zealanders/English rugby fans about it and they'll know what I mean!)

Digital pinball will always be easier than its real-life counterpart, even if the physics are "spot-on". Physics is predictable - that's why we can simulate it - and when everything else is static (condition of the table; rake; bumpers/slings always act in the same way; ball always bounces true off the rubbers) the best players will always know what's going to happen. As for nudging/tilt sensitivity - point me to any digital pinball that has got it spot on. It's perhaps the most difficult thing to get right, because inherently it's a purely physical activity. Maybe VR digital pinball will open up ways to nudge that haven't been explored before, but right now, you need to cater for everyone's choice of controller (with KB and controller being the majority) and somehow find a happy middle ground that works for everyone.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Finally had a chance to listen to this episode. You guys nailed it about the tilt and physics developments. Hopefully Zen has listened to this podcast as well and go back in the right direction with the tweaks.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Also love the idea about Farsight focusing on Gottlieb EMs (and the Premier analogy lol).

New Sterns + Gottlieb EMs = a pretty great combination.

It truly is mind-boggling that after 6 years, they’ve never done Royal Flush, Joker Poker, etc. Well now seems like the perfect time.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.