FX3 Williams Thoughts

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm already married! Are you trying to get me in trouble with the law? ;)

Was a console guy for a long time. Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, PS2, PS3, etc. But I found I was using them less and less with each new generation. Eventually decided to cut the cord. Just bought a cheapo handheld device (5" screen) with 2500 old games preloaded just so I could play Donkey Kong and other old classic. Seems to have mostly NES and SNES games. Prob a piece of crap, but why not for $50.

That actually sounds pretty snazzy. Do you have a link?

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
For me this isn't a win until they start releasing pins we don't already have. I enjoy the FarSight version I have, and wasn't dissatisfied like some others were. Are these improved in some ways? It certainly appears so. But that really isn't enough for me. New content is what drives this for me. Only new pins and even pins we thought unobtainable will make this a big win for me. Assuming it comes to mobile/ios at all. If it doesn't hit mobile, then its just another visual/future pinball to me, a blip on my radar. Time will tell for me, no victories to be claimed yet for me. Glad the license isn't rotting on the vine though. The more pinball out there the better.

Valid points. This would also be a win for anyone who didn't pick these tables up for TPA. I can't argue with the price and including the remastered tables is an extra mile-even if that feature sounds a little tacked-on.

The Getaway and MM are the two I'm most excited about right now. I'm also looking forward to see if JY is more fun than it was in TPA (IMO, it was quite boring). Fish Tales was a good appetizer but will be better if they fix the U-turn STDM. The only time that's happened to me IRL was on an improperly-leveled FT table.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Just giving my honest opinion. That's all. Not saying everyone else's opinion is wrong or invalid. Don't want it coming off that way. I enjoy reading everybody's opinion.

And no I didn't replace my VHS with DVD until I no longer had a VHS player. And I don't buy a Blu-Ray of a DVD I already own. But If I go out today and buy a movie that was just released I will buy it in Blu-Ray. To me the difference is surely there, just not enough to justify buying them again (for me). And this is sort of how I see this digital pinball issue. Will the eventual Zen release be better than what I'm currently playing on the FarSight version? I certainly hope so, but I will have to wait for a mobile version to compare for sure. Will it be a big enough difference for me to rebuy? Not so sure about that one. That's all I'm saying.
Maybe if I had PFX3 currently I would feel differently. But I only play on mobile and don't have that. Only have 1 laptop at home and that is used for work, not gaming.
Kolchak my mate , you don`t have to justify yourself to anyone except your mum .everyone is different , look at me , the biggest boofhead . I love my games on console , we all like our games on different platforms . my first pinball games were Zen then e few weeks later TPA came out . I have bought every table on both I love Zaccaria ,when I heard from Citizen that it was coming out on console , I was over the moon . see I`m over the moon about Williams and Bally on Zen , I`m happy with everything , some people are looking for something else to what I`m looking for. I have to respect every ones thoughts and ideas . see I love the fisherman on Zens Fish Tales , it looks so kool . it will come to mobile , don`t worry !!!:cool:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Kol is a bad man a very bad man with cheap cheap made in taiwan knockoff psp! Aslong as the dpad and button ns arent too mushy fifty is a fine price for alittle entertainment dude, if you need any games lemmie know but. Think youve got enough for now heh ladup devils crush for the tg16/genesis

Ive still got my pinball refugee mentality the more the merrier , ive been surpised and do smayed as much as me dt over the years but digital pinball in all forms tickles me dingle

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Kol is a bad man a very bad man with cheap cheap made in taiwan knockoff psp! Aslong as the dpad and button ns arent too mushy fifty is a fine price for alittle entertainment dude, if you need any games lemmie know but. Think youve got enough for now heh ladup devils crush for the tg16/genesis

Ive still got my pinball refugee mentality the more the merrier , ive been surpised and do smayed as much as me dt over the years but digital pinball in all forms tickles me dingle

haha, keep it on your pants, hairy!

kolchak, does it run MAME games too?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Just giving my honest opinion. That's all. Not saying everyone else's opinion is wrong or invalid. Don't want it coming off that way. I enjoy reading everybody's opinion.

And no I didn't replace my VHS with DVD until I no longer had a VHS player. And I don't buy a Blu-Ray of a DVD I already own. But If I go out today and buy a movie that was just released I will buy it in Blu-Ray. To me the difference is surely there, just not enough to justify buying them again (for me). And this is sort of how I see this digital pinball issue. Will the eventual Zen release be better than what I'm currently playing on the FarSight version? I certainly hope so, but I will have to wait for a mobile version to compare for sure. Will it be a big enough difference for me to rebuy? Not so sure about that one. That's all I'm saying.
Maybe if I had PFX3 currently I would feel differently. But I only play on mobile and don't have that. Only have 1 laptop at home and that is used for work, not gaming.

Dude, that's cool :cool:

Each to their own, no need to justify your choices to me. I was just curious...

But I still hope you join the Zen Williams party ;)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Dude, that's cool :cool:

Each to their own, no need to justify your choices to me. I was just curious...

But I still hope you join the Zen Williams party ;)

I'll be there when it hits mobile for sure. And I'll prob buy most of what they put out, like I usually do. :) Just wish one of the launch four was a new pin that we haven't seen from FS. Would have added to the flash of the announcement.

Now you guys get back to critiquing the physics, so that it's in good shape when I get to play it. ;)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012

Finally got to play it. Yeah, the controls aren't the greatest. Makes some games a little tough. And some games have some porting issues like a bit of lag or playing a bit fast. But with 2,500 games there is plenty of fun to be had. Has just about every NES game I've ever heard of. If you are into that, then it's worth the $. Would be great to hand a restless 10 year old on a long drive.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Oh nice, it looks like a PSP clone, which brings back fond memories.

PSP in looks only. Quality difference you will notice immediately. But fun to replay all those NES games. Also a bunch of Gameboy Advance games, which I've never played before.
With so many games, it's difficult to find the game you are looking for. They are in 13 folders of 200 games. Doesn't have a search feature, or I didn't find it yet.

Sorry I didn't put all these replies in one post. Just realized I did that. Also didn't mean to derail the thread. No back to the FX3 talk.......

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
They have done a godo job on selection so far.

three otu of four of them just were WRONG on TPA.

fish tales felt way off to me compared to the real thing.

getaway also just did not sit well with me, and junkyard was wayyyyy too easy.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Greg from Spacies Arcade just brought out his new midweek show , a must see . I want to say the animations , I`m loving . it`s has refreshed everything , as a lover of Zen tables animations , this is tops for me . with that said , now they can continue there fine tuning . for me I`m happy so far , my money is jumping out of my pocket for oct 9th !!!:cool: what a month for me , the hovercrafts are coming on the Crew 2 on sept 26th , Horizon 4 on sept 29th , my game of the year and they drive on same side of the road in the UK as us in Aust , then oct 9th pinball !!!:cool:

pinsam

Oct 13, 2014
I hate myself for buying the FarSight versions "at gunpoint". I just didn't see the possibility that someone would nab the licence(s) so soon, although I'm positive the deal was probably done.

Some random thoughts about the Zen Williams/Bally thing after the new trailer thingy.

- Everything looks gorgeous, including the "game room" which FarSight was never willing to create!
- It's great that they offer one table for free, so you're able to see if you want to re-invest in the same damn tables again and again :D
- That said, the Zen-like pack price is very affordable
- Zen's turnover rate is far better than FarSight's ever was - so I'm sure they will crank out these tables out quickly
- They hold some huge movie licences, so I wouldn't be surprised that movie-based pinballs like, say, Indiana Jones made a future appearance.
- It remains to be seen how Zen's arguably very different physics model will work with these (haven't tried any betas)
- It's great that they include a "zen-fyed" version in addition to the classic table for the same price

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
It remains to be seen how Zen's arguably very different physics model will work with these (haven't tried any betas)

It plays great, there's no doubt they'll do this for every release

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I don't regret buying up Season 2 and half of Season 5 right before the cut-off to complete my TPA collection - especially on mobile. These are still great re-creations. It's going to take years for Zen to catch up.

Not to mention, you're probably not going to be able to ever get Goin' Nuts on the Zen platform, I would expect that to be a TPA-exclusive.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well of course you're never going to get Goin' Nuts, that's Gottlieb! But of the 61 WMS tables that TPA had, it's more than likely that a few won't make it to Zen just because. For instance, I count it a small miracle we got Safe Cracker, and would be equally surprised (in a good way) if we got it in FX3 too. Those EMs of Spanish Eyes, Wild Card, and Fireball? Xenon or Swords of Fury? Firepower II? Even DMD machines like Hurricane or Who Dunnit seem like tables that wouldn't be of the highest priority. And even if Zen plans on redoing every single one of these, in addition to tables FarSight wasn't able to, how long is that wait going to be?

We don't know what kind of release schedule Zen has planned, but let's look at the high side of past output and say they do 16 tables a year. That's nearly 4 years of releases, more once they do previously unreleased machines. So right now it might sting to have made the big purchase of all the tables with a proverbial gun to your head, but at least you can enjoy them while waiting for upgraded versions.

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
I can't disagree with the OP's central point strong enough. Farsight's handling of the licences from a technical standpoint was hot garbage. I wish they lost the rights to official tables years ago so this reboot could've come a out sooner.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
But who's to say how much better it would have been then? According to our interview with Mel Kirk, FX3 was designed with WMS in mind and we've only had this platform for a year now. WMS in FX2 would have been fine, but it wouldn't have these new physics necessarily, certainly not this look. And in a previous interview Mel stated they could have had the license as far back as 2016. Go play some of the off brand pinball games that are available on Steam, then tell me again how much TPA was "hot garbage".

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.