FX3 Williams Thoughts

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Yes, they will definitely need to tweak individual tables for the vacuum ramp stuff. It would be interesting, though, to just enable "classic" physics on some of the older Zen tables without much modification (other than keeping them from crashing). What would the super combo-y tables like World War Hulk or Droids be like if you had to really hit the ramps perfectly to even get up them? What would it be like to have the upper flipper in Spider Man brick into the post between the ramps as often as not?

I think it would be fun to have an option for some of the long-playing tables be able to be set to brutal difficulty, it would make you really think about scoring strategy relative to risk, which is part of what makes competitive pinball fun.

To be honest, having the option of using the new Williams physics on the original Zen tables would be the main reason I'd be buying some of them.

I tried going back to the original tables last night for the first time since playing the Williams beta and it was quite laborious! :(

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The difference between zen pinball and real pinball is that when zen puts in a railroad, the rules are also balanced around it. This doesn't happen in real pinball recreations. world war hulk would be no fun at all if you couldn't slam combos like crazy, and the game is built around you being able to do it. no real pinball would have that type of shot density (10 shots, eleven with the side ramp?).

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012

That's awesome. Really shows that how devoted to making this work for the community. I know I'm in the minority or a bigger group than expected but I really hope they can do these tweaks to the Zen line. It'll make the tables much more refreshing and interesting. As much As I love most every table from Zen, I just can't get into them as much as I have while playing with the tweaks in FT and the Williams collection. Great Job DEEP And the Zen staff.

ImperiousStout

Aug 28, 2017
Physics are looking great. Do hope it's possible to bring them to the rest of the tables!

Sound really makes a difference, the real thing is so hard to beat!

It's also odd that the two metal balls making contact in the cradle separation segment produce no noise in FX3.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
The difference between zen pinball and real pinball is that when zen puts in a railroad, the rules are also balanced around it. This doesn't happen in real pinball recreations. world war hulk would be no fun at all if you couldn't slam combos like crazy, and the game is built around you being able to do it. no real pinball would have that type of shot density (10 shots, eleven with the side ramp?).

Yea, I'm not so sure adding Williams physics to older Zen tables would be as great as everyone thinks. Some of the shots you need to hit would just feel off I would think. I remember when they went from Pinball FX to Pinball FX2 on 360 and everyone was complaining how it was impossible to do well and hit the same shots on the original tables with the new FX2 physics. And that was only a minor update to the physics. The Williams physics would be a huge overhaul.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yea, I'm not so sure adding Williams physics to older Zen tables would be as great as everyone thinks. Some of the shots you need to hit would just feel off I would think. I remember when they went from Pinball FX to Pinball FX2 on 360 and everyone was complaining how it was impossible to do well and hit the same shots on the original tables with the new FX2 physics. And that was only a minor update to the physics. The Williams physics would be a huge overhaul.

I hope they’ll at least add it to their new original releases.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
"We worked off of the machine's mechanical manuals and it says there that they use the same bulb for each fish. Our Fish Tales machine in the office has a led light touch-up with colored leds."

That's cool :cool:

But I'm still not sure... See the PAPA video from 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRhZagXyw-w

@around 2:40 and onwards

I think it may well be the same bulbs but different coloured tinted overlays.

Pinballwiz45b, where did you receive the info from Zen?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.