Audio Issues

Tom Devaney

FarSight Employee
Dec 13, 2017
I'm making this post because I've seen audio issues scattered throughout the forums, but I'd love to get it all in one place.

It seems like the biggest major bug with the PS4 version of TPA is the audio. It goes way back too. In the beginning, years before I was here, there was a problem with crackling, so we added a new audio format for our game. It seems to have fixed that, but if you ever hear any crackling, that probably means the audio format for that specific sound could be out of date.

Now, though, it seems like loops have a tiny delay in between the end and the beginning, which makes them not seamless. This is only a huge problem on short loops.

Lastly, the most recent thing I've seen is that Elvira's sound is messed up. Her voice is a lot higher pitched. Is this because the audio is faster or is it just a pitch problem? Are there any other tables like this?

If there are any tables like Elvira that have these high pitched audio issues, let me know. If there's are any other tables suffering from an audio issue, let me know. If there are any other audio issues that is plaguing the whole game, let me know. If you hear crackly sounding audio, let me know.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
- High Speed has some sound effects that are either sped up or missing. The End of Ball bonus tally is a great example.

- Whirlwind is missing the "Multiball Lit" music track.

- Gorgar audio is crackling again. It was fine until the last update.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
To clarify, the Elvira table in question is Scared Stiff, and I think it is sped up.

Centaur and Sorcerer (and possibly a few others) also have the same issue as High Speed where the end of ball bonus goes silent as it ticks down faster.

And there were some issues with Who Nellie that I have seen mentioned on other platforms. The color of the playfield is too white on pc and iOS (I believe that a dev said that a pre beta playfield was accidentally used) and the local leaderboards have impossible to reach high scores. It would be nice if these bugs didn’t make it into the PS4 version.

Last edited:

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
I frequently have sound issues on Black Knight where all but only a couple sounds completely stop playing after playing for a bit. Curiously enough, when the sound cuts out on BK, then the voice in Cactus Jack will be gone too. Don't understand how they relate, but I have checked this multiple times after BK sounds cut out . I have to exit and reboot TPA entirely to get them sounding proper.

I'm not sure if this is normal operation, but sometimes Gorgar's voice will just stop sounding, all other sounds play, but his voice goes silent. I have to exit and reload the table to get it back.

As for Scared Stiff, the sounds are sped up....I can tell by the music, it is playing faster than it should, and so higher pitched. I believe that is true for all the sounds in that table.

I have a theory on the looping sounds issue.....I could be wrong (and probably am as I'm no programmer), but it's almost as if there may be a small (and I mean like microseconds) amount of silence in the beginning of the various sound samples. So when they repeat faster and faster, it becomes more evident, and when it's going at its fastest speed, it results in clicks and/or silence. Editing the sample to remove that tiny bit of silence SHOULD instantly fix the issue. Hope that turns out to be helpful.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.