BlahCade #149: Zen Studios Interview With Mel Kirk

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The whole thing came to about $4200. It’s definitely not cheap ... until you look at the cost and maintenance of purchasing real pinball machines. And I realize this thing isn’t a real pinball machine. Heck, it’s not even configured like a real pinball machine. But I get a “taste” of playing hundreds of real pinball tables at a fraction of the cost. I’ve had people over who have real “Attack from Mars” and “Funhouse” machines in their basements; and they can’t get over how much fun it is to play the recreations on this thing.

Awesome, man. Definitely sounds like one of those investments that you quickly feel like you got your money’s worth and then some.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ya’ know, you guys could just “pony up” and purchase the VPCabs Vertigo. Yeah .. Fully configured you’re looking at 4K, but just look at everything you’re getting:
* Full size cabinet with 32” playfield and separate color DMD monitor.
* Dedicated pinball side flipper and nudge buttons.
* Very nice integrated stereo audio with an awesome subwoofer.
* Full arcade lighted joystick, button, and trackball controls.
* PC upgrade package so you can run everything you want. Easliy accessible by removing four screws in the rear of the cab.
* All current Zen Pinball FX3 tables preinstalled.
* Pinball X interface preinstalled.
* All the “feel” of classic Pinball in a unique space-saving configuration.

I’ve had mine for over a year and it still impresses the heck out of me everytime I fire it up!
(Of course, I *really* enjoy playing the Arcooda/Farsight cabinet tables on this thing!)

We do take donations to our BlahCade PayPal account, or you could buy a crap ton of our new t-shirts we’re about to announce 😁

By buddy priced out the box controller for me. One of the big expenses is just the table legs. Anybody got a rusty set they no longer need? Same with plunger assembly. I did think the ultimate would be to put metal rails around the edge and a small piece of glass where your palms rest to really get the ‘feel’. He’s got a C & C machine as well as a 3D printer so it’ll be a precision build. I need to scrounge around and come up with another $150 on top of what I have now to start. Less if I can get legs and plunger on the cheap.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
my VP table is just about ready , Darryl is going to film it and I`ll get it hopefully next week . I didn`t mind waiting , and I ended up with I think 1,125 tables and 12,000 retro games . total cost was $2,840 au I think that`s a bit over $2,000 us , that was with upgrades to the PC . you all know how hopeless I am at uploading videos and pics , I will let you know when it`s on youtube on Ultra Custom Cabs Brisbane .:cool::cool::cool:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
my VP table is just about ready , Darryl is going to film it and I`ll get it hopefully next week . I didn`t mind waiting , and I ended up with I think 1,125 tables and 12,000 retro games . total cost was $2,840 au I think that`s a bit over $2,000 us , that was with upgrades to the PC . you all know how hopeless I am at uploading videos and pics , I will let you know when it`s on youtube on Ultra Custom Cabs Brisbane .:cool::cool::cool:

Hell yeah! Can't wait to here your impressions of it :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Ya know, that’s actually a very cool idea. Never thought of it, but now you have me intrigued so I’m off to do some tinkering. :cool:

So it seems FX3 only rumbles when you hit the bumpers and slings, eh? I remember TPA having a ton of rumble, so I'm hoping it's still a work in progress for FX3. I could definitely see how it'd be cool to rip the motors out of the Xbox controller and mount them on the inside of my X-arcade heh.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
me too Jeff , there are no bells whistles , it has nudge buttons , speakers and a sub woofer which I`m hoping will give a little bit of vibe on the table . that`s all I could afford , so I`ll be happy to be able to play all those tables . the funny thing is , we will all see the table on youtube before it`s in front of me haha !!! that` a great idea getting rumble in your X-arcade !!!:cool:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Hey [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION], I listened to the 150th podcast (great listen btw) and your description of a Pinbox reminded me of something that someone built over on the VP forums. It has a lockdown, coindoor, etc. It might give you some inspiration.

pinball-rift0.jpg

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=38417#entry384488

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That’s exactly what I want to do! I’m picking up a coin door, legs, and a few buttons this week from a guy I know selling ‘em real cheap to me.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

Members online

Members online