BlahCade #149: Zen Studios Interview With Mel Kirk

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Picked up some rusty legs (probably just paint them or spray with a bedliner type material), a well worn Bally coin door (no hinges, missing lock mechanism and start button, some rust), a Williams plunger assembly (will need some new springs and some polishing), and 4 arcade buttons for relatively cheap.

9_E4050_D4_DA97_4_E1_C_BBBE_05_B62_BD8_A8_B5.jpg

Not 100% on if I'll use the coin door or not, but I'd like to. It's not just a matter of if I can find a hinge that'll work at the hardware store, but how the hell am I going to do that metal surround?

4080_C00_B_8124_43_B9_85_F2_2_CF7437_BB77_C.jpg

That's from my Eight Ball Deluxe which uses the exact same coin door.

For reference, here's what the full door should look like...

2_D497_F41_E2_AF_4_AEC_898_A_78_A7120_E6_D82.jpg

So I don't know. I could just ignore the hinges and metal surround, just attach the door directly to the wood and not even allow it to open (I mean it's not like I need it to actually function!). I might try and make the coin slot lights glow. I essentially got all this stuff for less than the price of 4 new legs, so it's all an experiment. I've already had one person inquire if I'd be willing to build another, paying for parts and shipping plus a nice bit of extra on top for my troubles. Maybe once the kinks are ironed out, I can do that a few times over and build a truly nice one for myself too like that picture Silverballs attached. For now I gotta see how far I can stretch $60 for everything else I need.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
That's a nice batch of parts you have there - particularly love that door - you must use that! :) I really like the old worn battered rustic look, more so than a brand new polished look. Plus as this is your first attempt you can afford to take chances. Not sure about what you can do about the missing surround. Maybe it's possible to find 4 L-shaped metal brackets (not sure what they're called) for each side in a DIY hardware store, cut them to length, drill holes, and use round nut/bolts with a flat head to create a stud look like in your picture. Maybe some other guys have some ideas.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I agree with SB: I like the worn look too. Having this taste saves me a lot of money when it comes restoring (or rather not restoring) my own pinball machine as well. As long as it plays good, I'm good!

I think it would probably look ok without the surround, but SB's idea seems like it would work if you can find the materials.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The whole ‘preserve the patina’ approach, eh? Is there a way to paint and then distress it to look like it’s old and the paint is chipping? It is an approach I thought about.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Pricing out the electronics, gonna be about $120 or so. Then add cost of wood and hardware. Might not be making this as soon as I hoped. Gonna have to sell a bunch of BlahCade t-shirts first I guess!

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
I would get pieces of angle frame and bolt it in without hinge. Make sure to light up some LEDs behind the coin return buttons!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.