FX3 X-Arcade Nudging Script + Menu Navigation

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I know there are other X-Arcade Pinball FX3 users out there, so thought I would share the custom script I created to enable your extra side buttons for nudging, and it will also allow you to navigate the menus with your joystick as well.

By default, these two extra buttons are L and R mouse clicks, which renders them useless to us since you can't set mouse buttons as keybindings in FX3 and most other pinball games.

G0c40iJ.jpg

Thankfully there is a solution: Use a program called AutoHotkey (download for free here) to run my script that remaps them to regular keys.

Download the script here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n1x5kzz8euqerr5/FX3AutoHotkey2.ahk/file

Then you just simply need to double click the file to load it in AutoHotKey (I recommend either having it load when Windows starts or putting it somewhere convenient such as your Desktop) and then start playing some pinball! Also note that the script will automatically detect if FX3 is running, so the remapped keybindings won't effect any other Windows programs, which means you can always leave it running in the background.

IMPORTANT: This script assumes that you have L/R nudge set to Z and /
So make sure you set that up in the in-game keybindings unless you edit the script. I changed it from the default CTRL keys because those are used for menu navigation.

Navigating the menus with your Joystick and buttons:

We can also use this type of scripting to enable the joystick in the menu, and we're able to remap other keys such as ESC, Enter, CTRL, etc. to buttons as well, so we gain full menu navigation. Kiss your keyboard goodbye!

If you want this functionality, then download this script instead:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uxyzby61ccn5whb/FX3AutoHotkey.ahk/file

(Note: this script assumes you haven't reprogrammed your Tankstick keys)

Of course, feel free to customize this to your heart's content. I like to use the Player 1 Joystick/Buttons for menu navigation and the Player 2 Joystick for ball launch, and the corresponding Player 2 buttons for in-game options such as camera angle and toggling the visual FX. These buttons are closer to your hand while playing so they're easier to reach up and hit, plus the plunger is on the right side of a pinball machine, so it works out well. However, you could easily switch these around and tweak them any way you want.

Here is a diagram I made showing what this script will give you for in-game navigation. Note that you will need to set up the stuff on the right side (Player 2 Joystick/Buttons) in the in-game keybindings...
(please forgive my 30-second photoshop-slap-together lol)

rdq6BOp.png

So I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Happy flipping (and nudging)!

Last edited:

dmil666

May 19, 2018
I use an X-Arcade Tankstick too, and my solution to key mapping was to use the programmable memory function and an old PS/2 keyboard. Once you remap the buttons and save it in a new memory bank, it's there all of the time just like the stock layout. It works really well for my wants. I don't use the trackball at all.
It's interesting to see your layout, it's very different from mine. I've swapped the physical positions of the trackball mouse buttons with the programmable ones so that the programmable ones are the furthest back and I use them for one set of flippers. I have another set of flipper buttons on top next to other buttons for nudging, plus the controls you need to play TPA. For Zen tables, I changed the Zen in-game mappings to match TPA's, so everything is consistent for me.
I've also been playing around with other brands of arcade buttons and switches. X-Arcade's stuff is ok, but there are better choices out there. GroovyGameGear has some especially nice buttons in several styles, my favourites being their CLASSX buttons which have a MUCH better feel over the stock X-Arcade ones. The CLASSX buttons work with regular microswitches of various activation weights or two types of leaf switches. Good stuff.

It's good to find another pinhead using a Tankstick. You play with it on your lap, right? Like a reeeaal man?

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I use an X-Arcade Tankstick too, and my solution to key mapping was to use the programmable memory function and an old PS/2 keyboard. Once you remap the buttons and save it in a new memory bank, it's there all of the time just like the stock layout. It works really well for my wants. I don't use the trackball at all.
It's interesting to see your layout, it's very different from mine. I've swapped the physical positions of the trackball mouse buttons with the programmable ones so that the programmable ones are the furthest back and I use them for one set of flippers. I have another set of flipper buttons on top next to other buttons for nudging, plus the controls you need to play TPA. For Zen tables, I changed the Zen in-game mappings to match TPA's, so everything is consistent for me.
I've also been playing around with other brands of arcade buttons and switches. X-Arcade's stuff is ok, but there are better choices out there. GroovyGameGear has some especially nice buttons in several styles, my favourites being their CLASSX buttons which have a MUCH better feel over the stock X-Arcade ones. The CLASSX buttons work with regular microswitches of various activation weights or two types of leaf switches. Good stuff.

It's good to find another pinhead using a Tankstick. You play with it on your lap, right? Like a reeeaal man?

Hey, thanks for the post, man. Great to hear from another Tankstick pinhead for sure.

That is a good idea about reprogramming it, but it’s bummer that it’s not an option for the mouse buttons. As for the other buttons, I prefer to use AHK as I play a lot of various games/emulators, so I have a bunch of scripts that I just combine into one big file since AHK detects which application is running and only loads what’s needed. For instance the older Pro Pinball games and various versions of VP had some weird keys, so it’s a good solution if you run a lot of different stuff and the scripts are really easy to edit and tweak on the fly.

So you added two more buttons on each side? Nice!

Yeah, I’ve been meaning to check out some different buttons and switches. I bought this thing like 7 years ago when I lived in Michigan and used it quite a bit for a year or so, but then had to put it in storage for a while when I moved to California and I’m just now digging it back out now that Zen is shaking the bushes.

Heh, the lap eh? Now that is manly. I actually just bought a new 55” 4K TV so I have the X-Arcade sitting on desk in my living room right in front of my TV, which doubles as both my PC monitor and TV. Wasn’t sure if my wife would go for it, but she’s pretty cool when it comes to this stuff.

Hey I see you’re in Sacramento. I’m just over in Rancho Cordova. Small world. Maybe we can get together sometime and do some flipping.

Last edited:

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Jeff, this thing looks freaking sweet. I have never seen it before. Not that I have ever looked for anything to play my pins with other than just a PS4 controller. I now know what I am going to ask for Christmas. I looked it up on their website and it weighs 15 pounds. It really is a tank. Currently comes with free Maximus Arcade License which looks pretty cool. Since it uses a USB connection for the computer I take it all the buttons are really responsive and there is zero lag. Current cost is $199. Was that the cost 7 years ago? I can't imagine it ever goes on sale. There is a version that is $50 less without the track ball, but I definitely want the trackball to play some of the retro games. I will use your script recommendations once I get this beast. Thanks for your post.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff, this thing looks freaking sweet. I have never seen it before. Not that I have ever looked for anything to play my pins with other than just a PS4 controller. I now know what I am going to ask for Christmas. I looked it up on their website and it weighs 15 pounds. It really is a tank. Currently comes with free Maximus Arcade License which looks pretty cool. Since it uses a USB connection for the computer I take it all the buttons are really responsive and there is zero lag. Current cost is $199. Was that the cost 7 years ago? I can't imagine it ever goes on sale. There is a version that is $50 less without the track ball, but I definitely want the trackball to play some of the retro games. I will use your script recommendations once I get this beast. Thanks for your post.

You’re welcome! It truly is sweet. I believe I got it on sale for $150 around Christmas so maybe it’ll drop down again this year, but you can’t go wrong even for $199 as it truly is built like a tank, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Zero lag as well. I know some of the cheaper versions don’t have the extra side buttons, so make sure you get the one with the trackball.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need help with anything if you do score one.

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
You’re welcome! It truly is sweet. I believe I got it on sale for $150 around Christmas so maybe it’ll drop down again this year, but you can’t go wrong even for $199 as it truly is built like a tank, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Zero lag as well. I know some of the cheaper versions don’t have the extra side buttons, so make sure you get the one with the trackball.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need help with anything if you do score one.

Thanks again Jeff. I will definitely make sure to ask for the one with the trackball and let you know if I have any questions.

dmil666

May 19, 2018
Hey, thanks for the post, man. Great to hear from another Tankstick pinhead for sure.

That is a good idea about reprogramming it, but it’s bummer that it’s not an option for the mouse buttons. As for the other buttons, I prefer to use AHK as I play a lot of various games/emulators, so I have a bunch of scripts that I just combine into one big file since AHK detects which application is running and only loads what’s needed. For instance the older Pro Pinball games and various versions of VP had some weird keys, so it’s a good solution if you run a lot of different stuff and the scripts are really easy to edit and tweak on the fly.

So you added two more buttons on each side? Nice!

Yeah, I’ve been meaning to check out some different buttons and switches. I bought this thing like 7 years ago when I lived in Michigan and used it quite a bit for a year or so, but then had to put it in storage for a while when I moved to California and I’m just now digging it back out now that Zen is shaking the bushes.

Heh, the lap eh? Now that is manly. I actually just bought a new 55” 4K TV so I have the X-Arcade sitting on desk in my living room right in front of my TV, which doubles as both my PC monitor and TV. Wasn’t sure if my wife would go for it, but she’s pretty cool when it comes to this stuff.

Hey I see you’re in Sacramento. I’m just over in Rancho Cordova. Small world. Maybe we can get together sometime and do some flipping.
Heya Jeff,

Yeah, the mouse buttons are directly tied to the trackball and the trackball electronics are totally separate from the rest of the controls, hence the two USB cables. When I bought the thing I figured that I could use the mouse buttons for flippers and use everything else for programmable functions, but alas, that didn't work out. The mouse buttons get overwhelmed during play on my system, slowing down and sometimes sticking in the up position, which is decidedly non-optimal for pinball. It might be a conflict with my Logitech mouse drivers (I have two Logitech mice on my system), or it could be the trackball electronics. It was easiest to just ignore the trackball and use the rest of the buttons, so that's what I did (I really hate trying to figure out driver conflicts). If I ever come across another trackball that is better quality and is a drop in replacement I might try it.

The script system that you came up with sound pretty slick for dealing with all of the systems that you use. My setup works fine for me right now, but if I get sucked into more pinballs with different layouts I might have to adopt your system too.

I didn't physically add more buttons, at least not yet (thinking about it). I just switched places with the microswitches on the side buttons and mapped flippers to two of the top buttons. I'll try to make a graphic of my layout and post it here for you.

Heh, my PC setup is in my living room too, also with a 55" 4k TV that we recently bought. I tried adding the TV as my third monitor, but with the other two monitors on my desk and the TV 10 feet away, it was just too weird to use all of the time. Plus I'd have to arm wrestle the wife every time she wanted to watch Netflix...

Rancho, eh? I'm just north of Elk Grove so we're pretty close. I got some new switches and buttons coming that I'm going to install into The Tank, and once I've got that working maybe we can do a meet and flip or something.

dmil666

May 19, 2018
Tank_layout_75a.jpg

Ok, this is my current layout.
I hope that this image is at least interesting, as it took a stupid amount of work to make it and get it here. Sheesh.

The drawing is a standard X-Arcade stick, not a Tankstick, but it was all I could find.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Ha, thanks for posting it man. I know how you feel. Took me a few hours yesterday to make this thread and all it entailed.

Ok, cool diagram. So do you even really use the side buttons then? (I see you have them set to flippers, but would kinda suck without nudge buttons, eh?) I like to use em just because it feels more like real pinball, but beyond that there’s really no benefit I guess heh. It probably depends on how you sit and rest your arms too. Maybe it’s more comfortable for you to use the top buttons. I have my arms resting on the desk along the sides so it’s a pretty comfy setup as well.

Last edited:

dmil666

May 19, 2018
Ha, thanks for posting it man. I know how you feel. Took me a few hours yesterday to make this thread and all it entailed.

Ok, cool diagram. So do you even really use the side buttons then? (I see you have them set to flippers, but would kinda suck without nudge buttons, eh?) I like to use em just because it feels more like real pinball, but beyond that there’s really no benefit I guess heh. It probably depends on how you sit and rest your arms too. Maybe it’s more comfortable for you to use the top buttons. I have my arms resting on the desk along the sides so it’s a pretty comfy setup as well.

I use the side buttons probably most of the time, especially on tables that have frequent multiball modes. You can get a good grip (death grip?) for leverage and hammer the buttons. With the Tank on my lap, my arms are resting on my legs and against my chair (a La-z-boy, natch) arms so it's pretty comfortable.

I use the top flips when I'm trying to be more precise with my shots. My top flips are currently CLASSX buttons with 20 gram switches which give a very light and sensitive touch. It's pretty comfortable to play that way for a while, but you don't have a lot of leverage in that position and your hands get tired when you start over-powering the buttons, like you do (or at least like I do).

The location of the nudge buttons is the best I've come up with so far. What I need are nudge buttons or bars on the front of the controller so it's more like a real pin, but I haven't figured out how to make the mods to the Tank.

I'm a woodworker and I've been giving some serious thought about making my own chassis for the guts from the Tankstick. When I get a design figured out that does what I want and is no heavier than a Tankstick I'll give it a shot.
It's harder than you think.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I use the side buttons probably most of the time, especially on tables that have frequent multiball modes. You can get a good grip (death grip?) for leverage and hammer the buttons. With the Tank on my lap, my arms are resting on my legs and against my chair (a La-z-boy, natch) arms so it's pretty comfortable.

I use the top flips when I'm trying to be more precise with my shots. My top flips are currently CLASSX buttons with 20 gram switches which give a very light and sensitive touch. It's pretty comfortable to play that way for a while, but you don't have a lot of leverage in that position and your hands get tired when you start over-powering the buttons, like you do (or at least like I do).

The location of the nudge buttons is the best I've come up with so far. What I need are nudge buttons or bars on the front of the controller so it's more like a real pin, but I haven't figured out how to make the mods to the Tank.

I'm a woodworker and I've been giving some serious thought about making my own chassis for the guts from the Tankstick. When I get a design figured out that does what I want and is no heavier than a Tankstick I'll give it a shot.
It's harder than you think.

I have no doubt it's hard as hell. I've played with the idea of building a pin cab, but I have to play sitting down since I hurt my back in a car accident, so I always thought it'd be cool to build a bar top cab instead, with the X-arcade as the front. It would essentially just be a wooden frame for the monitor or TV in portrait mode that sat flush with the back for the tankstick, but then angled back. Even that would be way easier said than done. In any event, I'm not a woodworker so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Now that I got my new setup in the livingroom, it kinda defeats the purpose of a bar top cab, but hey you're a good guy to know in case I ever get adventurous heh.

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
I know there are other X-Arcade Pinball FX3 users out there, so thought I would share the custom script I created to enable your extra side buttons for nudging, and it will also allow you to navigate the menus with your joystick as well.

By default, these two extra buttons are L and R mouse clicks, which renders them useless to us since you can't set mouse buttons as keybindings in FX3 and most other pinball games.

G0c40iJ.jpg

Thankfully there is a solution: Use a program called AutoHotkey (download for free here) to run my script that remaps them to regular keys.

This also allows us to use the Joystick in the menu, and we're able to remap other keys such as ESC, Enter, CTRL, etc. to buttons as well, so we gain full menu navigation. Kiss your keyboard goodbye!

Download the script here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uxyzby61ccn5whb/FX3AutoHotkey.ahk/file

Then you just simply need to double click the file to load it in AutoHotKey (I recommend either having it load when Windows starts or putting it somewhere convenient such as your Desktop) and then start playing some pinball! Also note that the script will automatically detect if FX3 is running, so the remapped keybindings won't effect any other Windows programs, which means you can always leave it running in the background.

Of course, feel free to customize this to your heart's content. I like to use the Player 1 Joystick/Buttons for menu navigation and the Player 2 Joystick for ball launch, and the corresponding Player 2 buttons for in-game options such as camera angle and toggling the visual FX. These buttons are closer to your hand while playing so they're easier to reach up and hit, plus the plunger is on the right side of a pinball machine, so it works out well. However, you could easily switch these around and tweak them any way you want.

IMPORTANT: This script assumes that you have L/R nudge set to Z and /
So make sure you set that up in the in-game keybindings unless you edit the script. I changed it from the default CTRL keys because those are used for menu navigation and we want to use the Player 1 Joystick/Buttons for that (it's awkward to switch to the side buttons during navigation when your hand is already on the joystick).

Here is a diagram I made showing what this script will give you for in-game navigation. Note that you will need to set up the stuff on the right side (Player 2 Joystick/Buttons) in the in-game keybindings...
(please forgive my 30-second photoshop-slap-together lol)

rdq6BOp.png

So I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Happy flipping (and nudging)!

Hi Jeff,
I just received my X-Arcade Tankstick and absolutely love it. I however can't get your script to work. When I run it the extra set of side buttons do allow me to nudge left and nudge right (I made sure to set the L/R nudge to Z and / in-game) but that appears to be the only set of buttons that get re-mapped properly from the script. The first set of side buttons do not operate the flippers. I have never used scripts or AutoHotkey before so I am unable to troubleshoot what the issue is. I need help please. Also, why on earth did they not make the extra side buttons programmable. It is so easy to use the PS/2 keyboard to program the Tankstick that I would have preferred to do it that way. Thanks.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
The x-arcade is now shipping an updated control board that allows Steam controller emulation. Existing owners can get the upgraded board from X-arcade here.

From the description:
Compatible with any X-Arcade Dual, Solo, Tankstick or Machine ever produced, add new switchable game controller modes: X-INPUT, Direct Input (Android/Mac/Steam-Ready) , new programming VIA USB keyboard and stay updated with firmware updatable design. These electronics will not be in X-Arcades till sometime in 2019

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Hi Jeff,
I just received my X-Arcade Tankstick and absolutely love it. I however can't get your script to work. When I run it the extra set of side buttons do allow me to nudge left and nudge right (I made sure to set the L/R nudge to Z and / in-game) but that appears to be the only set of buttons that get re-mapped properly from the script. The first set of side buttons do not operate the flippers. I have never used scripts or AutoHotkey before so I am unable to troubleshoot what the issue is. I need help please. Also, why on earth did they not make the extra side buttons programmable. It is so easy to use the PS/2 keyboard to program the Tankstick that I would have preferred to do it that way. Thanks.

Hey Boston,

The script shouldn’t affect the flipper buttons. You just have to set them in FX3. You did that, right?

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
The x-arcade is now shipping an updated control board that allows Steam controller emulation. Existing owners can get the upgraded board from X-arcade here.

From the description:
Compatible with any X-Arcade Dual, Solo, Tankstick or Machine ever produced, add new switchable game controller modes: X-INPUT, Direct Input (Android/Mac/Steam-Ready) , new programming VIA USB keyboard and stay updated with firmware updatable design. These electronics will not be in X-Arcades till sometime in 2019

I saw the notice on X-Arcade’s website for the upgraded board. I wonder if this will allow me to program the second set of side buttons to nudge through Steam instead of having to run a script to do so? Or if the new board will now allow the second set of side buttons to be programmable by keyboard. The new board is only $31.99 so it would be worth it to me.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The problem with the extra side buttons is that they are mouse buttons. It’s unfortunate that Zen doesn’t allow us to map controls to the mouse, but maybe it’s something they would add if we asked.

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Hey Boston,

The script shouldn’t affect the flipper buttons. You just have to set them in FX3. You did that, right?

Hi Jeff,
I programmed the Tankstick’s setting 2 with a PS/2 controller first to get the buttons mapped to how I wanted them to play in FX3. I tested before running your script and everything worked fine in FX3 other than not being able to use the second set of side buttons to nudge. I then ran your script and the nudging worked for the second set of buttons but disabled the first set of flipper buttons as well as some of the other buttons I programmed. The Tankstick is just recognized as a keyboard correct? What else would I need to set up in FX3 if my Tankstick is programmed with the keyboard settings set up in FX3?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.