Online subscription not required for leaderboard access

Azathoth

Dec 17, 2017
Just thought I'd mention this since I hadn't seen it brought up yet. With the introduction of Nintendo's paid online service access to TPA/SPA leaderboards is still available even if you don't pay for the online. This applies to a few other games that have leaderboards, like Zaccaria Pinball and all of Hamster's Arcade Archives series.

Pinball FX 3 does require an online subscription though.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Pinball FX 3 does require an online subscription though.

Even for a simple leaderboard access?

I thought online subscription were mandatory (PS4, One, Switch) only to play online with other people (i.e. involving matchmaking).

For example, in Driveclub (PS4), a player without online subscription has access to the leaderboards and clan data (ghosts, challenges, etc), but as soon he tries to play a VS race against other players, the online subscription paywall pops up.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
So that means you still can't use the same name on both the TPA and SPA leaderboards? I had a little hope that Nintendo would force them to use online (even though it's not really online play, even tournaments aren't) and FS had no alternative but to fix it.

Mar 9, 2012
So that means you still can't use the same name on both the TPA and SPA leaderboards? I had a little hope that Nintendo would force them to use online (even though it's not really online play, even tournaments aren't) and FS had no alternative but to fix it.

Why would Farsight want to help Nintendo to force its customers to pay for online.. with PS5 coming and such Switch will be left in the dust like the Wii Wii U etc..

Azathoth

Dec 17, 2017
Even for a simple leaderboard access?

I thought online subscription were mandatory (PS4, One, Switch) only to play online with other people (i.e. involving matchmaking).

I double checked and you are correct, I was mistaken regarding FX3. A subscription isn't required for just leaderboards access, but is required for anything under the matchmaking or tournaments tabs. Which is rather lame IMO since you're not actually playing head to head against someone, it's basically boils down to a timed leaderboard contest.

I checked those two tabs out and assumed that they had paywalled the leaderboards also. I know on (most?) Xbox 360 games if you don't have a Gold subscription you can't even post high scores to leaderboards.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Why would Farsight want to help Nintendo to force its customers to pay for online.. with PS5 coming and such Switch will be left in the dust like the Wii Wii U etc..

It would only be Nintendo ordering Farsight to require the Switch Online membership in order to allow online leader boards and especially tournaments. Not because of any technical requirements, but to make sure developers are not bypassing Switch Online, given Nintendo's was looking for an "alternate revenue stream". So they can set up very broad requirements and developers have two options, say Sir Yes Sir! or delist their title and give up.

Azathoth below confirms Zen PFX3 requires Switch Online for tournaments, which may just be because you can set them up yourself while Farsight's would be open to all.

Members online

Members online