Who here plays MAME and other Emus?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Missed this before. Not by much that i see. But that sounds like a PSP emulation issue more than anything. Dolphin is installed on a HDD but it's pulling the roms off a home server directory and they load in just a few seconds over the network. I don't know if there's a difference in load times between compressed or uncompressed but it was never really slow enough using compressed that i was looking for more speed.

Right on. Currently I only have a couple Wii games, but if storage becomes an issue, I’ll give it a whirl.

As for the PSP, I don’t think it’s a PSP emulation issue, but more of a 7z issue; it temporarily extracts the 7z before loading the ISO, which can take awhile. If you load an ISO directly, it’s an instant boot.

Last edited:

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Here’s one for you guys: What are your top 4 player games? (arcade + consoles)

assuming we're still talking emulation and simultaneous players, not modern stuff like Rocket League or any of the FPS games...

Arcade - first the 3 player games even though you said 4
Mercs
Track n Field
Hyper Sports

4+ players.
Konami Beat em ups (TMNT, Sunset Riders, Xmen etc.)
Galaxian 3 (as many as 28 technically but let's say up to 6) kind of hard to duplicate that experience though
Gauntlet Series
NFL Blitz
Warlords
NFL Blitz

Console
Mario Party series
Goldeneye has to be mentioned even though it plays horribly now
Super Monkey Ball 1&2
Mario Golf
Xmen Legends
Marvel ultimate Alliance
BG dark Alliance

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
On the emulation front...
TMNT, Simpsons, X-man, New Super Mario Bros, All sorts of Mario Karts

Non-emulation? Super Mario World 3D, Diablo 3, Rocket League, Mario Kart 8dx

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017

Power Stone 2
Smash series
Twisted Metal
Custom Robo
Sunset Riders
Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa
Kart Racers (CTR, MK, DKR)
The Wonderful 101
TimeSplitters series
Gauntlet Dark Legacy
X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Team Buddies
Some party games (early Mario Party, Dokapon Kingdom)

Skipped beat 'em ups, you already know I'm a huge freak for those.

What are yours?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Genesis also has great srpgs like Langrisser 1-2 and the recently translated Vixen 357 (both also from Masaya).

Damn it, more stuff to track down and patch....with those PSX suggestions my 64 GB USBdrive is now full lol. Guess I can throw of some psp or psx junk of it. Also I should try some of those PSX games. Not sure I'm into the arpg and survival games that were mentioned.

BTW, Shin Megami Tensei if... (the SMT spinoff that lead to Persona) has had a 1.0 translation released today for anyone interested.

The Wonderful 101
Wait...W101 had a multiplayer mode?

I'm still waiting for a switchrerelease on that. I sold my WiiU betting on some rereleases....Bayo already made it...Xenoblade got a better sequel in 2 than X, just waiting for 3D Mario World and W101. I love me some Platinum!).

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
BTW, Shin Megami Tensei if... (the SMT spinoff that lead to Persona) has had a 1.0 translation released today for anyone interested.

Oh wow, nice. About time. Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe next will be the original SMT: Devil Summoner or Linda Cube Again.

Wait...W101 had a multiplayer mode?

Up to 5 players but only in Mission Mode. Still lots of fun.

I'm still waiting for a switchrerelease on that. I sold my WiiU betting on some rereleases....Bayo already made it...Xenoblade got a better sequel in 2 than X, just waiting for 3D Mario World and W101. I love me some Platinum!).

Yeah, between the Switch and the 3DS, there aren't many Wii U exclusives left. I hope they port the few remaining ones.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, between the Switch and the 3DS, there aren't many Wii U exclusives left. I hope they port the few remaining ones.
New super Mario Bros WiiU is coming as well. Which is a really solid singleplayer 2D mario with great challenging levels. Even though the NSMB brand has a bad rep, that one might as well be considered Super Mario Bros 4.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Great lists, fellas. This gave me a few more ideas for stuff to bust out when my brother is here.

You pretty much covered all the good classics.

Here are a few others I can think of:

Arcade:
Rampart (4 trackball version is awesome. I had a good DOS version back in the day as well)
Super Offroad
Super Sprint
D&D, both of em
Golden Axe 2
Rampage and WT
Pit Fighter was cool as a kid, but dunno how well it holds up
Saturday Night Slam Masters
and all the great beat em ups you guys mentioned (TMNT, X-Men, Simpson’s, etc.)
NFL Blitz and NBA Jam too

N64:
Road Rash 64 had great 4 player split screen.
WCW vs. NWO Revenge...all the other AKI wrestling games were fantastic as well
Army Men: Sarge’s Heroes
Diddy Kong Racing (It’s the one game my wife will actually play heh..and she’s really good)
Goldeneye was the absulte king at the time, but agreed it’s probably awful now

Gamecube:
Smash Melee
Mario Party 4
All the Mario sports games
Marvel Legends and UA

I always wanted to try Zelda Four Swords Adventures, but you needed 3 GBA’s, although it looks like you can emulate them in Dolphin so I might give that a try this weekend if everyone is down for it.

Timesplitters 2 would be a good one to play too. Do you guys happen to know if the PS2 version has widescreen support? The GC version doesn’t. Looks like Future Perfect does on the GC, but don’t know if it’s quite as good as TS2.

I really wanted to love Power Stone 2, but the camera angle is just a bit too jarring. I’ve only tried it single player, so maybe it’s better with more (it’s usually the opposite though), or maybe I just need to play it more. Everything else seems awesome about it.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Arcade:
D&D, both of em
Rampage and WT
Pit Fighter was cool as a kid, but dunno how well it holds up
Saturday Night Slam Masters
NFL Blitz

Some comments on these, in order:

-Hell yeah, man. Best D&D games.
-Rampage series is super fun. Did you ever play Universal Tour?
-Well, someone had to like Pit-Fighter. :p
-Look into Muscle Bomber Duo and Ring of Destruction: Slam Masters II
-It's a shame they tried to make Blitz into edgy garbage and killed it.

I always wanted to try Zelda Four Swords Adventures, but you needed 3 GBA’s, although it looks like you can emulate them in Dolphin so I might give that a try this weekend if everyone is down for it.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is worth looking into as well. It's good fun with 4 players.

Timesplitters 2 would be a good one to play too. Do you guys happen to know if the PS2 version has widescreen support? The GC version doesn’t. Looks like Future Perfect does on the GC, but don’t know if it’s quite as good as TS2.

Dunno about PS2 widescreen for 2, sorry. Future Perfect isn't as good as 2 but it's good.

I really wanted to love Power Stone 2, but the camera angle is just a bit too jarring. I’ve only tried it single player, so maybe it’s better with more (it’s usually the opposite though), or maybe I just need to play it more. Everything else seems awesome about it.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
- I think I played Universal Tour a time or two way back when. I have the N64 ROM though so I'll revisit it for sure.
- Pit-Fighter...ha, to be fair it was quite popular in the arcades at the time. I can remember a bunch of kids crowding around and lining up to play it. Keep in mind this was 1990, which was a year before SF2, so there weren't many head to head fighting games like that at the time (SF1 was basically the only other and honestly it wasn't that popular at the time). Plus it was 4 player, which was rad as hell! The graphics were also better than most of what we'd seen up to that point. Like I said, I'm sure it doesn't hold up though, but it was definitely a hit at the time and helped prime the pump for the fighting craze that was to come.
- I believe I have those ROMS so I'll definitely check em out. Can't go wrong with CPS2 stuff.
- Didn't they kinda go the other way with Blitz? I sort of remember that they maybe tamed and watered it down from what it originally was. Did the NFL make them remove the violence or something like that? I remember the first couple were great, but then I tried 2003 on GC a couple years ago and it was awful.
- I'll try the Dreamcast version of Power Stone 2 instead. Looks like good fun.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I'm talking about those two M-rated Blitz: The League games that killed the series that Midway farted out after EA got the NFL contract.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Gotcha. Aside from the original arcade version, I think Blitz 2000 was the last one I really played (it was either the PS1 or N64 version, can't recall). Once you got good, you could basically ensure that your opponent never completed a pass since you could just cream the receiver as soon as you saw where the QB was gonna throw. The hits in that game were so satisfying too. Good times.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
The full list for PS mini has been announced: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-29-playstation-classics-full-list-of-20-games

Personally not that interested as
a) First gen 3D games really haven't aged as well as 8 and 16 bit sprites;
b) PS1 games run fine on my SNES mini setup.

Now admittingly, if they can hack it, the PS mini will probably contain better guts than my SNES-mini and therefor might run PSP and N64 games better. But it won't run SNES-games on the native nintendo emulator (canoe). Canoe is known for it's really low inputlag (compared to, say, a retropi) so I don't think I want to sacrifice that.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Questionable choices of individual games within certain series. They went with the superior sequels for some series like Tekken, yet stuck with the subpar first games for most.

At least they gave FFVIII fans what they deserve. Zilch!

Toshinden was fun but never very good and didn't need to be included.

Destruction Derby was surprisingly fun, but I'm not sure how much curb appeal it adds.

Jumping Flash! and Intelligent Qube are nice inclusions. Not super surprising, but I wouldn't have bet on them being there.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Given how the main problem with the lackluster lineup is having to deal with a lot of different licensing agreements, I wonder if publisher or franchise specific retro console boxes might work better. I might buy for example, the Final Fantasy Box, with all games plus some of the spinoffs and a few other Square titles through, say, the PS1 era.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I really need to stop watching random snesdrunk and metaljesusrocks videos. They keep bringing up games 'you must play'. Now it has me hunting for some segaCD games I've never heard of before lol. Lords of thunder, Dark Wizard, Keio Flying Squadron. I'm spending more time looking at retrochannels and searching out games than actually playing them :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I really need to stop watching random snesdrunk and metaljesusrocks videos. They keep bringing up games 'you must play'. Now it has me hunting for some segaCD games I've never heard of before lol. Lords of thunder, Dark Wizard, Keio Flying Squadron. I'm spending more time looking at retrochannels and searching out games than actually playing them :)

I feel ya. I really like watching that stuff. I especially enjoy the console history videos too. Nostalgia Nerd is a good one that comes to mind.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
My brother being almost 10 years my younger doesn't enjoy the older stuff quite as much as I do, so he talked me into buying SFV while he was here this weekend since it was on sell for 10 bucks. It seems like it's come a long way since launch with various patches and updates. We had a good time playing through the arcade mode. Definitely worth ten smackers, but I probably won't buy any of the DLC unless it gets dirt cheap around Xmas or something. I still prefer the oldies, but it's a fun change of pace and the eye candy is a bonus.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thinking about picking up a huge-ass 256 GB flash drive so I can easily go back and forth between PCs when I want to play with my arcade stick or just chill on the couch with a controller. It'd free up a ton of space on my hard drives as well, and I can just tweak the one install when I want to add something instead of two different locations.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7Q41PM/ref=twister_B07F718YLH

I like how small that one is so I won't accidentally bump and bend it while on my laptop (I've had that happen in the past with the models that stick way out). The reviews saying it randomly shuts off are a bit concerning though. The only other small models I've seen (Sandisk) have heat issues and break apart because they're plastic, so I'd rather not deal with that.

Does anyone know of a better model that's as small? Otherwise I might just roll the dice on the Samsung.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.