Who here plays MAME and other Emus?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
So I'm getting back into emulators after a few years hiatus now that I've dusted off my X-Arcade tankstick and just wondering who else is into them?

What front end do you guys use? I had MaLa set up years ago, but it was for a 4:3 monitor, so all my layouts look clunky on my TV.

Fiddling around with some others and kinda digging Attract Mode so far.

Seems like a lot has changed in 7 years or so. RetroPie and such seems to have really taken off.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Ha!

I noticed something cool while playing Final Fight in snes9X tonight: Setting "Ouput Image Processing" to 6xBRZ is pretty groovy. It almost feels like playing a "remastered" version as it gets rid of all the jaggies and pixelation and really looks smooth. Check it out if you've never tried it.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I'd check it out, but I haven't done any emulation in a few years either. I've actually been thinking of just going with a Pi-based rombox with RetroPie myself for gen 1-5 stuff. Should be less than $100.

As for Final Fight, I've been playing that (and the other 6 games) with people online in the Beat 'em Up Bundle the past few days. ;)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, RetroPie looks pretty gnarly. If I didn’t have a PC, I’d definitely go that route.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah. It was planned for simultaneous release with consoles but got delayed. New date hasn't been announced yet. I went with Switch.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah, RetroPie looks pretty gnarly. If I didn’t have a PC, I’d definitely go that route.

It's for the best anyway. Pi's aren't ideal for MAME. Some people run less advanced versions of MAME on them but I'm pretty sure no serious MAME guys use Pi's.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I run MAME on my peecee. I've got an old iPad I don't dare update to continue running MAME on it. I've got a Cannoo and Wiz handheld running MAME, NES, SNES, and Atari. I got my GBASP with flashdrive running ALL the GB, GBC, GBA, NES ROMS on it. And I got the NES Classic with plans to run Hackchi.

And yet they're all collecting dust.

barbul

Jan 8, 2014
So I'm getting back into emulators after a few years hiatus now that I've dusted off my X-Arcade tankstick and just wondering who else is into them?

What front end do you guys use?

I've used X-Arcade TS with hyperspin (PC), love the games video previews, bezels and animations. Now i just bought cheap Tab (1,3 GHz) and it run most of the 80' to half 90' arcade games without a problem, add to this BT arcade stick & U can play some old sh... in few seconds. No fancy frontend but its works.

https://youtu.be/0RlQPuHmH-g

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've used X-Arcade TS with hyperspin (PC), love the games video previews, bezels and animations. Now i just bought cheap Tab (1,3 GHz) and it run most of the 80' to half 90' arcade games without a problem, add to this BT arcade stick & U can play some old sh... in few seconds. No fancy frontend but its works.

Hyperspin looks cool, but it’s not free right? How much does it cost to get it all set up with the videos and art?

I’m using Attract Mode for now since it’s free and pretty nice, but not quite as fancy haha.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014

Very cool - I just have an iPad pro with modded (side button) iCade

barbul

Jan 8, 2014
Very cool - I just have an iPad pro with modded (side button) iCade
So, there is jailbreak for iOS >10? Never bought a new ipad because lack of JB on newer ios. I like iCade (cabinet ver.) and mount 2 side butons each side too, but i've stop to use this after upgrade to ios 10 (must for me, because when FS first release SPA it's only work on new system - this is how i've lost my JB).

barbul

Jan 8, 2014
Hyperspin looks cool, but it’s not free right? How much does it cost to get it all set up with the videos and art?

I’m using Attract Mode for now since it’s free and pretty nice, but not quite as fancy haha.

It was few years ago, so i barely remember (when i setup everything there was no need to remember - unfortunatelly some of my hard drives with this soft died, so i've stop to use it - anyway its funny we spend most of the time building something or preparing perfect setup, chasing memories - playing only from time to time, at least its hard to back in time - but at least nostalgic feelings are ok too)... About HS, i'm sure i've paid 2 "till death" subscripctions (about 60$ or €) - probably one 4 HS (gold, platinium or some other noble heavy metal) and after few days of preparing HD movies 4 HS i've bought another subscripction on connected in some way with HS site (emu movies or something similar) with ftp access.
BTW. Because U using X-Arcade Tankstick... i remember - was nice to use X-ATS trackball in hyperspin menu navi, to go trough zillions of games.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
So, there is jailbreak for iOS >10? Never bought a new ipad because lack of JB on newer ios. I like iCade (cabinet ver.) and mount 2 side butons each side too, but i've stop to use this after upgrade to ios 10 (must for me, because when FS first release SPA it's only work on new system - this is how i've lost my JB).

Pinball apps that support icade natively on iOS- SPA, TPA, Zaccaria, Pro Pinball
I jailboke a long time ago so I can run Zen on my icade - that worked for awhile but then became a nightmare.
Been trying to get Zen to support icade but they say they will look into it but nothing ever happens

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It was few years ago, so i barely remember (when i setup everything there was no need to remember - unfortunatelly some of my hard drives with this soft died, so i've stop to use it - anyway its funny we spend most of the time building something or preparing perfect setup, chasing memories - playing only from time to time, at least its hard to back in time - but at least nostalgic feelings are ok too)... About HS, i'm sure i've paid 2 "till death" subscripctions (about 60$ or €) - probably one 4 HS (gold, platinium or some other noble heavy metal) and after few days of preparing HD movies 4 HS i've bought another subscripction on connected in some way with HS site (emu movies or something similar) with ftp access.
BTW. Because U using X-Arcade Tankstick... i remember - was nice to use X-ATS trackball in hyperspin menu navi, to go trough zillions of games.

It's true. I often spend more time tinkering with this stuff than I do playing, but I guess that's half the fun of it for me, oddly enough.

I'll probably just stick with Attract Mode for now to save money.

It's kind of a headache getting all the art and stuff though. There's an auto scrape, but it never seems to get everything. Maybe 25% is missing. Really wish there was a ROM pack that came preloaded with all the art. That's one area where RetroPie has the advantage as you can download ISOs that just have it all crammed into one.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm a loser baaaaaby, so why don't ya kill me?

Been playing more SNES than anything lately.

Long live emulation, despite the warpath Nintendo has been on lately.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.