Who here plays MAME and other Emus?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Classic arcade games are the one thing I will shameless double, triple, whatever-dip on. I skipped most of the consoles in favour of arcades in my youth; Williams Arcade Classics is why I bought a Playstation and Nichibutsu Arcade Classics is why I modded it to play Japanese games.

I’ve got a Japanese Wii with a raft of Namco and other games (including Mr. Do) that never appeared on the Virtual Console, but despite that I still buy the classic titles on the PS4 and ports on the VC on my Wii U - can’t stop myself!

I rarely fire up MAME, but that’s for the games that just won’t see the light of day elsewhere or that aren’t being treated right by current license-holders: classic titles from Exidy and Atari Games, Universal, Stern, Williams, Midway. 80s and some 90s.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Compilation games are great, those are a weakness of mine. I think I have all of the PS2 ones released in the US.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I’ve been playing more Alpha 3 Max on PSP for the World Tour mode, and I have to say: PSP emulation is in a fantastic spot right now. Cranking up the internal resolution and then upscaling the textures looks amazing on this, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur, etc. I always regretted getting rid of my PSP, but now I can enjoy the games on an even higher level that is only possible through emulation. It’s reminiscent of playing Gamecube games on the Dolphin emulator with cranked up internal res. They look so much better than they ever did before.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I’ve been playing more Alpha 3 Max on PSP for the World Tour mode, and I have to say: PSP emulation is in a fantastic spot right now. Cranking up the internal resolution and then upscaling the textures looks amazing on this, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur, etc. I always regretted getting rid of my PSP, but now I can enjoy the games on an even higher level that is only possible through emulation. It’s reminiscent of playing Gamecube games on the Dolphin emulator with cranked up internal res. They look so much better than they ever did before.

Plus you don't have to listen to the constant unbearable noise a PSP makes.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Here's a before and after comparison of Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny

The first is how it looks at the default PSP internal resolution, and the 2nd is at 1080p (you can go even higher if you want)

A5rZkVL.png

tYarJ8i.jpg

Last edited:

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Good stuff. Handhelds make great transition to emulators just so you don't have to squint at a 3.5" screen to play them. Upscaled graphics is even better. Which emulator are you using? PPSSPP?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Good stuff. Handhelds make great transition to emulators just so you don't have to squint at a 3.5" screen to play them. Upscaled graphics is even better. Which emulator are you using? PPSSPP?

Exactly. I’m finding the standalone version to be better than the Retroarch core, which is probably true in a lot of cases. Way more graphics settings and other options.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Exactly. I’m finding the standalone version to be better than the Retroarch core, which is probably true in a lot of cases. Way more graphics settings and other options.

Also, Tekken 6 wouldn’t run on the Retroarch core, so that was a major selling point for switching to the standalone.
[MENTION=6915]Citizen[/MENTION], ikr? the shrubbery just to the right of Ivy’s ass looks outstanding! :eek:

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Worth trying out Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection and Tekken 6 on PPSSPP - both play great, even on a galaxy phone. Tekken 5 DR PSP in particular may be my favourite 3D fighter, the PSP version is the most complete (PS3 Online Edition misses out on the story mode) Or Tekken 3 on epsxe is highly recommended

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Virtua Fighter 4FT, 5FS
Fighters Megamix
Tekken 3, DR
SoulCalibur
Tech Romancer
Power Stone 2
Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
Tobal 2
Bushido Blade 1-2

My favorite 3D/3D arena fighters.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Nice list. A few I haven’t played that I’ll have to check out.

Here’s a question for you guys: Which fighters would you say have the best single player content?

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
That's a tough question, there's been so much neat single player content in home fighters over the years, and so varied.

Gotta love Tekken for things like bowling and volleyball and of course Tekken Force.

Arc System Works games typically have good challenges that get downright crazy difficult.

The Smash games have done cool stuff with platformer incorporation into modes and neat stuff like Home Run Contest.

The PS2 MKs had tons of content to unlock it kept you busy for a long time.

But I guess my favorite sort of thing would be when a fighter offers a mode that's extensive with progression and character growth/customization. Things like Weapon Master Mode in SCII, Dragon World in Budokai 2 and World Tour Mode in Alpha 3.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Nice list. A few I haven’t played that I’ll have to check out.

Here’s a question for you guys: Which fighters would you say have the best single player content?
A bit beyond the scope of the subject of this thead, but Id have to say the story mode in mk9

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I’m still working on completing my Attract Mode setup. It would’ve been a hell of a lot easier to just download a huge image like HyperPie, but I don’t want it to be overly bloated with a bunch of things I don’t care about. Ideally I even want the MAME collection to be stuff I’ll actually play instead of every game ever made. So it’s taking a lot more effort, but it’ll be worth it in the end (if there ever is an end heh). Plus I’m discovering a lot of cool games I’ve never heard about.

Just finished adding all the SNK games I deemed worthy (so many good ones).

I’ll post a video soon of how it’s coming along.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.