Best VPX Tables?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
[MENTION=1434]The loafer[/MENTION] I’m gonna go back and try all the pins you recommended on the first page tonight. Finally getting some time to really dive in. Thanks again for the suggestions.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If you tell me there’s a rockin’ version of NBA Fastbreak and Rollergames, I’ll think about testing the waters.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The Loafer would know. Haven’t had a chance to try those yet, but every table I’ve tried so far has been pretty great, other than JPSalas AFM. Not awful, but his physics remind me too much of old school Zen physics.

As for Sterns, the only I’ve tried is Metallica, which is very nicely done (see the first post for a vid). Only complaint is the default ball texture, but that was an easy fix thanks to The Loafer.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Lord have mercy! I just tried AFM by G5K and it's mind-blowing! Check out this gorgeous lighting (sorry for the flashing DMD and slightly choppy ball, it's just my nvidia capture...actual gameplay is smooth as butter)

EDIT:

Also tried his T2. It's beautiful. Physics are not as brutal as nFozzy's version, which does seem a bit too bouncy tbh. I think somewhere in the middle of the two would probably be just right. This is the best version though. The visuals are amazing, and with a couple physics tweaks it would be just about perfect.

Another thing to note about G5K's tables is the incredible audio, with the surround sound mods. Sounds fantastic running through my home theater system!

Last edited:

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Jeff: says video is unavailable. Yeah, told you it was worthwhile to try, now we just gotta infect SYT eheh. The guy uses a RENDER FARM to render all the plastics, light sourcing, etc. It's an amazing piece of work, can't wait for his next release. IMHO, Flupper is pretty much in the same stratosphere level as far as total quality. I personally find nfozzy's T2 plays just about perfect so even though it's not quite at the same level of quality, I still prefer it. BTW with nfozzy's T2, press the left magnasave button to cycle through different light schemes... enjoy! :)

JPSalas's physics are decently done, however I could be wrong but I think his AFM was one of the earlier VPX titles and there's been quite a few different revision of VPX exe's since then. The most important thing with JPSalas is I find his tables quite fun to play, maybe more casual than the real pin but I'm totally ok with his vision of the tables.

also:
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/nba-fastbreak-bally-1997-darthmarino-mod/
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/rollergames-drop-target-mod-williams-1990/

I don't know if these fall under your definition of "kick-ass" but I guarantee you they are better than the existing TPA and FX3 versions! :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Oops, try the video again.

Cool trick with nFozzy’s T2!

I’ll try flupper’s stuff out next.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2012
AFM looks amazing.. and NBA Fastbreak from the pic looks great too.. going to have set it up again now that video card prices are dropping..

Never found a good Space Invaders tho.. always been a fav..

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The Loafer might know of one, but I haven’t seen any Baseball EMs for VPX unfortunately. There was at least one good one for VP9, iirc.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
wait, when you say "baseball", you guys referring to pitch/bat type games? If yes, Line drive for VP9 is a great one. two monitor users get an amazing backglass on that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTGtMlue7Y

If you are referring to a pinball game with a baseball theme, there are many vp9 versions but not too many VPX. Chicago cubs triple play: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12147. I thought we also had a grand slam but unless it's an unreleased beta version that I have on my HD, I'm probably misremembering because I can't find a link online. Likely it's a VP9 version. I'll check later.

Space Invaders: This vpx version is VERY good! You can also play it in FSS mode which is: 1 monitor only, placed in portrait mode and you get this: https://i.imgur.com/Ur6DNd6.png

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
I remember the Space Invaders table. Hit that center roll-through enough and credits ring up every other time. Set for the rest of the day!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Been a few years since I've played VP (the early physMOD was the last version I played) and am wondering if you guys can reccomend the best VPX tables?

I'll be playing in desktop mode.

Need something to tie me over until FX3 WMS launches heh.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

EDIT:

Special thanks to The Loafer for helping me get everything running smoothly.

Here's a little video of me flailing around on Metallica:

Jeff I do have those Stern tables on my cab . they weren`t working well , but thanks to Jared he fixed it for me , I`m so grateful to Jared . we had a great afternoon , his kids Zak and Sienna were great. there all welcome over anytime . the kids had a good time on Horizon 4 , Zak was playing pinball as well !!!!:cool:

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
This is embarrassing. In my recommendations, I can only suggest tables I've tried. There are over 500 VPX tables, I've not tried them all and my time is sometimes spent on testing tables for authors so … factoring family responsibilities, time is limited.

That intro is my mea culpea for not suggesting other great tables. Yesterday, I came across another subset of tables that are simply put "outstanding" by the author "Knorr". I only came across his name because of an ongoing WIP for CV that he's been working on for close to a year I think. Anyway, so I figure, may as well try his other stuff and boom: STTNG!!! Wow, it's stellar. He's done others such as Demolition Man, Dirty Harry and Red and Ted's Road Show. I tried Demo man, not a fan of the real table but his version is super well done. But seriously, not having tried STTNG? Doh!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
[MENTION=2636]wolfson[/MENTION] Very cool!
[MENTION=1434]The loafer[/MENTION] Thanks for the recommendation. I also still need to try some of the others you suggested as well. I’ve been a bit distracted with MAME stuff, but it’s great that there are so many amazing table authors.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Jeff Jared helped me lots with the settings for the VPX , but I found a little video which topped it off for me . it` the settings in our Nvidea card , I hope it helps . when it comes to the tech side of things I`m useless , having Jared over on Saturday was a blessing !!!:cool:https://youtu.be/_KsK55zgUAQ

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
That is a really handy video. Glad to hear Jared was able to help you get sorted. I was also lucky to have The Loafer as my personal guide into the realm of VPX. Guys like that make these things a breeze. :D

VPX is a treat, eh? Which tables are your favorites so far? So many incredible options. We’re pretty spoiled haha. Hats off to all the great minds who make all this possible.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
your not wrong , boofs like me need a lot of help haha !!!:cool: Metallica , Avatar , Lord of the Rings , Spiderman , Ironman so far , the EMs and the Sterns from 1975 to 1985 !!!!:cool:

Dan

Feb 28, 2012
when I'm done with the first weeks of obsessively playing Zen Williams, I'm gonna get me some VPX tables...those videos are mindblowing. Just have to figure out how to implement them in cab mode, as my last try wasn't successfull.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.