Best VPX Tables?

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Dan , I was lucky mine came with my cab , otherwise I`d be trying forever with no luck . Loafer and Jeff might put you in the right direction , as for me , I`m as useful as tits on a bull hahaha !!!:cool:

Dan

Feb 28, 2012
Thanks, I'll probably ask them for help some day! Neglected VP for some time while playing TPA and now there's VPX and new stuff to learn and tweak...

Last edited:

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Whenever the time comes let me know if you need help. Look through this thread first though, answer might be here!

As indicated previously I am bound to assist for anything vp related, due to religious beliefs lol

Iga_Biva

Oct 10, 2018
Damn, those tables are really good!!! It seems that I need to update my Visual Pinball collection...

Previously (2 years ago), my only source for new tables was https://www.vpforums.org/.

Now I see (at least) 2 additional sources - http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/download-page/tables-vpx/ and https://vpinball.com/

Is there any other good source for VPX recreations?

Additionally, is it anyhow, anywhere possible to get all VPX tables in a bundle? I am collector and I want to have them all but downloading one by one would last forever :(

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I would highly recommend Dozer's tables. One of my 'always go back to' tables of his is RoboWar.

As you can see from the video the lighting (and gameplay) is outstanding. The sounds effects are also incredible. I love this SS era.

I have always thought that the mobile table 'Revenge of the Robo-bot' was themed after this.

Iga_Biva

Oct 10, 2018
I have installed all newest packages of VPX and tables are running smoothly on my laptop. However, I have noticed that tables are looking fuzzy - not sharp. It is hard to explain but they are looking like light on them is dispersing through fog. This is especially visible in upper parts of the table.

Any idea what could be the reason for this?

Iga_Biva

Oct 10, 2018
My laptop is a bit old:

Intel i7 3610MQ processor, Nvidia GeForce 630M, 8GB RAM, screen 1366x768

VPX settings are here - https://ibb.co/hdpXi0

Like I said, tables are running smooth on the laptop, I have not seen any frame drops.

I tried to isolate problem and I believe that it have something to do with light system in VPX. I hope that I can explain what I mean - e.g., in VP9 only bulbs on playfield are lighted but in VPX this light is spreading on the surrounding area and this does not look good. E.g, in a table with a lot of light effects (AC/DC Luci) this provides effect of fuzziness and lights are not natural.

I made some comparations between same table in VPX and VP9 and in most of the cases VP9 table looks cleaner. I don't know what is causing this.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Sorry for the delay Iga_Biva, real life and I plain forgot about this.

I can't see anything obviously wrong, though I'm surprised you are seeing no frame drops with FPS limiter/vsync and MAX pre-rendered frames. set both of those at 1 and see if you get even smoother gameplay (unsure from your specs). As for your comment, most people prefer the lighting in VPX by far, though maybe personal preference can play a role here. Def you are the first or second person out of hundreds that indicates a preference for the old style lighting. This doesn't mean I am saying you are wrong, just surprising. Whatever the case, the author of any given table can do lighting in different ways, there is no "VPX" does lighting only one way. Some people bake lighting into the art assets. This tends to be less configurable but can do some effects very close to the recent Pro-Pinball Timeshock release, which looks fantastic IMHO. For an example of this, see the most recent "Attack From Mars" from G5K, the lighting in that one is top notch. If you still see dithering of sorts with the graphics, then I dunno, it's almost like what I've heard from people using the old style intel integrated graphics chipset but you state you are using a GeForce 630m so I dunno.

Question: did you try adjusting the night-> day cycle slider? Set that more towards the right side and it may diminish this fuzziness you are referring to. Set more towards the left provides more of dark room settings, setting it to the right provides more of a well lit room. Some tables (like the AFM from G5K) bypasses how the lighting is done so the night-day scale only affects the plastics, not the playfield. On that note, under options then lighting, there are settings there that could affect the lighting effect you speak off. I don't adjust that very often so I'll leave you to experiment. This is a per table setting so you have to save it once adjusted but keep a backup of the table in case you can't remember the original setting :)

Can you post a screenshot of the games that are failing to show the quality as you see it? I'd like to see for myself out it compares here to help determine if this is a personal preference or if something is really wrong here.

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
The two tables I play the most are Metallica and Stern spiderman. But the problem with visual pinball is just keeping up! There are so many talented people working on these and new content released every day.

Iga_Biva

Oct 10, 2018
Sorry for the delay Iga_Biva, real life and I plain forgot about this.

I can't see anything obviously wrong, though I'm surprised you are seeing no frame drops with FPS limiter/vsync and MAX pre-rendered frames. set both of those at 1 and see if you get even smoother gameplay (unsure from your specs). As for your comment, most people prefer the lighting in VPX by far, though maybe personal preference can play a role here. Def you are the first or second person out of hundreds that indicates a preference for the old style lighting. This doesn't mean I am saying you are wrong, just surprising. Whatever the case, the author of any given table can do lighting in different ways, there is no "VPX" does lighting only one way. Some people bake lighting into the art assets. This tends to be less configurable but can do some effects very close to the recent Pro-Pinball Timeshock release, which looks fantastic IMHO. For an example of this, see the most recent "Attack From Mars" from G5K, the lighting in that one is top notch. If you still see dithering of sorts with the graphics, then I dunno, it's almost like what I've heard from people using the old style intel integrated graphics chipset but you state you are using a GeForce 630m so I dunno.

Question: did you try adjusting the night-> day cycle slider? Set that more towards the right side and it may diminish this fuzziness you are referring to. Set more towards the left provides more of dark room settings, setting it to the right provides more of a well lit room. Some tables (like the AFM from G5K) bypasses how the lighting is done so the night-day scale only affects the plastics, not the playfield. On that note, under options then lighting, there are settings there that could affect the lighting effect you speak off. I don't adjust that very often so I'll leave you to experiment. This is a per table setting so you have to save it once adjusted but keep a backup of the table in case you can't remember the original setting :)

Can you post a screenshot of the games that are failing to show the quality as you see it? I'd like to see for myself out it compares here to help determine if this is a personal preference or if something is really wrong here.

The loafer,

Many thanks for your support!!! Actually, you gave me perfect hint - for some reason, my laptop was running VPX on a integrated Intel graphic although nVidia should be default graphic processor. I have reinstalled drivers and things improved dramatically!

And yes, you are completely right - VPX versions of the tables (at least most of them) are vastly superior to VP9 ones.

I am on a mission now ;), playing my favorites Centaur and Blackout and trying to collect all VPX tables.

Thank you again!!!

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
The loafer,

Many thanks for your support!!! Actually, you gave me perfect hint - for some reason, my laptop was running VPX on a integrated Intel graphic although nVidia should be default graphic processor. I have reinstalled drivers and things improved dramatically!

And yes, you are completely right - VPX versions of the tables (at least most of them) are vastly superior to VP9 ones.

I am on a mission now ;), playing my favorites Centaur and Blackout and trying to collect all VPX tables.

Thank you again!!!

VERY happy it worked out ok in the end, AWESOME! Let us know in this thread if you come across some awesome tables!

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
So ... After viewing the VPX version of “Attack From Mars” in the latest “Spacies Arcade” video, I’ve decided that I have to at least try to get VPX running on my VPCabs Vertigo.

So I downloaded the VPX5setup mentioned above and attempted an install. (64 bit Windows 7 with 16 GB RAM and GTX 950 graphics card.)

When I try to run “Attack from Mars” the VPX menu comes up, the table loads, the ROM appears to load and then ... nothing! It goes back to the Desktop! Task Manager doesn’t show VPX running either as an application or a task. It’s just ... gone! Any ideas?

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
That is odd and there are a few people lately who've reported the same thing. In their cases though, the issue was insufficient CPU/GPU hardware but yours should do the job (at least in a single screen set up).

questions:
- out of curiosity what is the CPU/speed?
- Are you running a single screen or dual screen set up? (not totally knowledgeable on the vertigo cab, is that an arcade cab in portrait orientation using single screen?)
- Did you get ANY tables to load or is it just this one table that seems to die? Try a non-emulator game (like an EM)
- any errors during the install?
- during the install of the all in one, were there questions you were not sure so just randomly picked something? IE: when you are requested to select between pindmd1/2/3 etc?
- What folder did you install Visual pinball into? Always best NOT to install it in program files folders because of rights issue. Ok, that may be more true for Win10 though but anyway, that's my recommendation, create a folder called C:\pinball so that the visual pinball install can go into C:\pinball\visual pinball.

With that hardware, I think it should work so... we'll get it sorted out :)

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
Loafer:

Sorry I haven’t got back to you on these questions; I’ve been tied up with work the last couple of days.

The VPCabs “Vertigo” is a two-monitor cabinet. It ships with Zen’s FX3 and all current tables — except the Williams tables — already installed and ready to run. The main monitor is 32” 1080p LED oriented in portrait mode. The top monitor is 15.6” and is really meant to be dedicated to DMD emulation. A lot of us squeeze some of the backboard in there as well though. Since this is a Windows 7 machine and Steam is already installed it’s easy enough to purchase TPA tables and run them in portrait mode on the main monitor. With NoEx’s camera mod and/or the Arcooda package the top monitor can used as a combined backboard/DMD combo.

With Visual Pinball, I had already installed VP9 and Physmod5 iterations and both of those run great on the cabinet — even including the DB2s animated backglasses.
The CPU is just an i3 but the graphics card seems to make up for that. I decided to play around with VPX mainly for the “Attack From Mars” table and the way it looked on “Spacies Arcade”’s latest video. Just today, though, I’ve seen strong hints that Zen may be including this table in its next Williams/Bally Pinball Pack, so I think I’ll just put this on hold for now.

Thanks for offering to help, though!

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
That is cool but just curious: have you tried ANY vpx tables or sad this the first and only one you’ve tried?

This is the “first and only” VPX table I have tried.
As I said, I have played around with VP9 and Physmod5.

I’m sure I’ve got something on there that needs to be “tweaked”, but I’m not receiving any error messages. It just seems to load the table and then exit without running.

In any event, with Zen fixing to release “Attack From Mars” — presumably in both standard and enhanced modes — I think I’m good. :)

Thanks!

Members online

Members online