Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best VPX Tables?

My Devices
    iPad Pro, iPhone X, VPCabs Vertigo
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So ... After viewing the VPX version of “Attack From Mars” in the latest “Spacies Arcade” video, I’ve decided that I have to at least try to get VPX running on my VPCabs Vertigo.

So I downloaded the VPX5setup mentioned above and attempted an install. (64 bit Windows 7 with 16 GB RAM and GTX 950 graphics card.)

When I try to run “Attack from Mars” the VPX menu comes up, the table loads, the ROM appears to load and then ... nothing! It goes back to the Desktop! Task Manager doesn’t show VPX running either as an application or a task. It’s just ... gone! Any ideas?
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
    Updated most wanted FarSight list: 鉄pirit of 76 (Gottlieb) 鉄impsons (Data East) 釘ig Bang Bar (Capcom)
    Most wanted Zen list: 迭evenge From Mars, 的ndiana Jones, 擢unhouse

My Devices
    iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro, xbox One X, ps4 Pro and a fuly kitted out pincab
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is odd and there are a few people lately who've reported the same thing. In their cases though, the issue was insufficient CPU/GPU hardware but yours should do the job (at least in a single screen set up).

questions:
    - out of curiosity what is the CPU/speed?
    - Are you running a single screen or dual screen set up? (not totally knowledgeable on the vertigo cab, is that an arcade cab in portrait orientation using single screen?)
    - Did you get ANY tables to load or is it just this one table that seems to die? Try a non-emulator game (like an EM)
    - any errors during the install?
    - during the install of the all in one, were there questions you were not sure so just randomly picked something? IE: when you are requested to select between pindmd1/2/3 etc?
    - What folder did you install Visual pinball into? Always best NOT to install it in program files folders because of rights issue. Ok, that may be more true for Win10 though but anyway, that's my recommendation, create a folder called C:\pinball so that the visual pinball install can go into C:\pinball\visual pinball.

With that hardware, I think it should work so... we'll get it sorted out

My Devices
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loafer:

Sorry I haven’t got back to you on these questions; I’ve been tied up with work the last couple of days.

The VPCabs “Vertigo” is a two-monitor cabinet. It ships with Zen’s FX3 and all current tables — except the Williams tables — already installed and ready to run. The main monitor is 32” 1080p LED oriented in portrait mode. The top monitor is 15.6” and is really meant to be dedicated to DMD emulation. A lot of us squeeze some of the backboard in there as well though. Since this is a Windows 7 machine and Steam is already installed it’s easy enough to purchase TPA tables and run them in portrait mode on the main monitor. With NoEx’s camera mod and/or the Arcooda package the top monitor can used as a combined backboard/DMD combo.

With Visual Pinball, I had already installed VP9 and Physmod5 iterations and both of those run great on the cabinet — even including the DB2s animated backglasses.
    The CPU is just an i3 but the graphics card seems to make up for that. I decided to play around with VPX mainly for the “Attack From Mars” table and the way it looked on “Spacies Arcade”’s latest video. Just today, though, I’ve seen strong hints that Zen may be including this table in its next Williams/Bally Pinball Pack, so I think I’ll just put this on hold for now.

Thanks for offering to help, though!
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
    Updated most wanted FarSight list: 鉄pirit of 76 (Gottlieb) 鉄impsons (Data East) 釘ig Bang Bar (Capcom)

My Devices
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is cool but just curious: have you tried ANY vpx tables or sad this the first and only one you’ve tried?

My Devices
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The loafer View Post
    That is cool but just curious: have you tried ANY vpx tables or sad this the first and only one you’ve tried?
    This is the “first and only” VPX table I have tried.
    As I said, I have played around with VP9 and Physmod5.

I’m sure I’ve got something on there that needs to be “tweaked”, but I’m not receiving any error messages. It just seems to load the table and then exit without running.

In any event, with Zen fixing to release “Attack From Mars” — presumably in both standard and enhanced modes — I think I’m good.

Thanks!
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-

My Devices
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure thing. In the future if you ever get the desire to try it again, I recommend you use the all-in-one VP 10.5 installer (if you haven't). It will install all the VP9 and physmod versions as well and will also ensure you have the latest required script files in the correct locations. Back up your old set up first and try and start from scratch (ie: rename your old folders); this would ensure you don't have older versions of required files.

Indeed it is good news to see the apparent AFM coming from Zen, I'm sure it will be great!

My Devices
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, This is the “Spacies Arcade” video I’m referring to. He’s actually talking about a new Arcade Room fixing to open near his location with a whole slew of popular Bally/Williams tables from the 90’s fully restored and ready to play. He was firing up the VPX equivalents of the tables on his Virtual Pin cabinet in order to preview playing the same tables IRL (“In Real Life”):

https://youtu.be/E-Gwg_S4vkc

The demo of the VPX version of “Attack From Mars” begins at the 52:19 point in the video.
    I doubt seriously that the Zen version will have the incredible lighting effects shown here. But the “enhanced/remastered” mode may make up for it. (Will the Martians actually dance? The mind boggles!)
    In any event it will be interesting to see how the new Zen version compares to this fantastic emulation!
    Last edited by vfpcoder; 11-08-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-

My Devices
    PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I am inventing hot water here but do you know about this - https://vpinball.com/vpx-cameralight-mode-tutorial/ ?

With a help of this tutorial, you can adjust your favorite tables to your taste in just a few minutes and to see results live. E.g. imho many authors tend to create tablest that are too dark - just few clicks and table is bright again. You can also set up table view, to move table on the screen etc.

I find this feature tremendous - I would like that Zen implement something like this in FX3.

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iga_Biva View Post
    I don't know if I am inventing hot water here but do you know about this - https://vpinball.com/vpx-cameralight-mode-tutorial/ ?

With a help of this tutorial, you can adjust your favorite tables to your taste in just a few minutes and to see results live. E.g. imho many authors tend to create tablest that are too dark - just few clicks and table is bright again. You can also set up table view, to move table on the screen etc.

I find this feature tremendous - I would like that Zen implement something like this in FX3.
    Indeed. This is one of my favorite features of VPX.

My Devices
    Fullsize Virtual Cab (PC), xBox 360, Android Nexus 7 2012
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you guys seen the lighting in the latest Cirque Voltaire VPX release by Knorr? It is quite something;:

Be sure to view at 720p with 60fps.

Last edited by SilverBalls; 04-27-2019 at 02:01 AM.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That痴 really impressive. I love how the DMD is catching reflections, that really sells the reality. Great job on all the chrome and shiny surfaces. The one thing I don稚 like is how the inserts are blown out when lit, making them illegible. This always bugged me in TPA too. I know on camera that might be how they appear, but our eyes can still read what a lit insert says.

My Devices
    PC, Oculus Rift, Nintendo Switch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBalls View Post
    Have you guys seen the lighting in the latest Cirque Voltaire VPX release by Knorr? It is quite something
    Looks fantastic, I must give that a go and get round to trying that VR mod. Haven't used VPX for several months so no doubt I've got a lot of program and table updates to sort out, not a task I particularly enjoy though it's usually worth the effort.

I've always found CV's design very appealing and the Ringmaster evokes vivid memories, I must have seen one in a pub or magazine during my younger years.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dare I ask whether anyone could PM the elusive GB LE 1.2 table file? I've hunted high and low without success.
    I've got the emulation and ROM up and running but nothing to actually play on.

My Devices
    All of them
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBeeching View Post
    Dare I ask whether anyone could PM the elusive GB LE 1.2 table file? I've hunted high and low without success.
    I've got the emulation and ROM up and running but nothing to actually play on.
    There isn't an emulation and rom solution. This table used the TPA gb.dll file which is why it was removed from all sites. If the most recent SAM supported gb, someone would have already modified the previous GB.vpx and it would be available at the 'normal' places.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trash80 View Post
    There isn't an emulation and rom solution. This table used the TPA gb.dll file which is why it was removed from all sites. If the most recent SAM supported gb, someone would have already modified the previous GB.vpx and it would be available at the 'normal' places.
    Yeah I've got those bits up and running and can add coins and stuff, though I have no table assets to load into the program.

My Devices
    All of them
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've got those bits up and running and can add coins and stuff, though I have no table assets to load into the program.
    What bits? Stern SPIKE isn't emulated so there isn't anything to get up and running. If you are using the hacked Stern Pinball Browser... well, that isn't going to let you play a vpx table, but you can have fun making a custom DMD for the real table. So I assume you are using the forked 03182018 pinmame and with the required TPA compiled gb.dll which is just WRONG (or stealing, depending on your moral viewpoint).

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trash80 View Post
    What bits? Stern SPIKE isn't emulated so there isn't anything to get up and running. If you are using the hacked Stern Pinball Browser... well, that isn't going to let you play a vpx table, but you can have fun making a custom DMD for the real table. So I assume you are using the forked 03182018 pinmame and with the required TPA compiled gb.dll which is just WRONG (or stealing, depending on your moral viewpoint).
    Whilst I agree the method is controversial, I don't have a moral dilemma repurposing the DLL for personal use as I've purchased Farsight's version on Steam, Switch and Rift. I was really hoping it would taken as a polite request, I don't want to ruffle feathers or engage in an argument about it.

My Devices
    All of them
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst I agree the method is controversial, I don't have a moral dilemma repurposing the DLL for personal use as I've purchased Farsight's version on Steam, Switch and Rift. I was really hoping it would taken as a polite request, I don't want to ruffle feathers or engage in an argument about it.

The table was built by deconstructing and reusing elements from the TPA table with tools by the same author of the dll loader. The whole project was questionable from the beginning, and is one of the reasons why monsterbashpincab was shut down and we no longer hear much from Tom, and Jay has gone on to other projects.

p.s. you didn't miss much but if you have good vpx table building skills you could make enough adjustments to have it play fairly well. But it is still missing out on the enormous improvement in pinmame since (fast flips, etc.).

p.s.s. With what is going on with the Pinball Browser, it is more likely we will see the SPIKE tables done via UltraDMD and EM style rule scripts. Huge undertakings, but there are a few dedicated authors interested in breaking the next barrier.
    Last edited by trash80; 04-28-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234