Best VPX Tables?

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Sure thing. In the future if you ever get the desire to try it again, I recommend you use the all-in-one VP 10.5 installer (if you haven't). It will install all the VP9 and physmod versions as well and will also ensure you have the latest required script files in the correct locations. Back up your old set up first and try and start from scratch (ie: rename your old folders); this would ensure you don't have older versions of required files.

Indeed it is good news to see the apparent AFM coming from Zen, I'm sure it will be great!

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
BTW, This is the “Spacies Arcade” video I’m referring to. He’s actually talking about a new Arcade Room fixing to open near his location with a whole slew of popular Bally/Williams tables from the 90’s fully restored and ready to play. He was firing up the VPX equivalents of the tables on his Virtual Pin cabinet in order to preview playing the same tables IRL (“In Real Life”):

https://youtu.be/E-Gwg_S4vkc

The demo of the VPX version of “Attack From Mars” begins at the 52:19 point in the video.
I doubt seriously that the Zen version will have the incredible lighting effects shown here. But the “enhanced/remastered” mode may make up for it. (Will the Martians actually dance? The mind boggles!)
In any event it will be interesting to see how the new Zen version compares to this fantastic emulation!

Last edited:

Iga_Biva

Oct 10, 2018
I don't know if I am inventing hot water here but do you know about this - https://vpinball.com/vpx-cameralight-mode-tutorial/ ?

With a help of this tutorial, you can adjust your favorite tables to your taste in just a few minutes and to see results live. E.g. imho many authors tend to create tablest that are too dark - just few clicks and table is bright again. You can also set up table view, to move table on the screen etc.

I find this feature tremendous - I would like that Zen implement something like this in FX3.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I don't know if I am inventing hot water here but do you know about this - https://vpinball.com/vpx-cameralight-mode-tutorial/ ?

With a help of this tutorial, you can adjust your favorite tables to your taste in just a few minutes and to see results live. E.g. imho many authors tend to create tablest that are too dark - just few clicks and table is bright again. You can also set up table view, to move table on the screen etc.

I find this feature tremendous - I would like that Zen implement something like this in FX3.

Indeed. This is one of my favorite features of VPX.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Have you guys seen the lighting in the latest Cirque Voltaire VPX release by Knorr? It is quite something;:

Be sure to view at 720p with 60fps.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That’s really impressive. I love how the DMD is catching reflections, that really sells the reality. Great job on all the chrome and shiny surfaces. The one thing I don’t like is how the inserts are blown out when lit, making them illegible. This always bugged me in TPA too. I know on camera that might be how they appear, but our eyes can still read what a lit insert says.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Have you guys seen the lighting in the latest Cirque Voltaire VPX release by Knorr? It is quite something

Looks fantastic, I must give that a go and get round to trying that VR mod. Haven't used VPX for several months so no doubt I've got a lot of program and table updates to sort out, not a task I particularly enjoy though it's usually worth the effort.

I've always found CV's design very appealing and the Ringmaster evokes vivid memories, I must have seen one in a pub or magazine during my younger years.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Dare I ask whether anyone could PM the elusive GB LE 1.2 table file? I've hunted high and low without success.
I've got the emulation and ROM up and running but nothing to actually play on.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Dare I ask whether anyone could PM the elusive GB LE 1.2 table file? I've hunted high and low without success.
I've got the emulation and ROM up and running but nothing to actually play on.

There isn't an emulation and rom solution. This table used the TPA gb.dll file which is why it was removed from all sites. If the most recent SAM supported gb, someone would have already modified the previous GB.vpx and it would be available at the 'normal' places.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
There isn't an emulation and rom solution. This table used the TPA gb.dll file which is why it was removed from all sites. If the most recent SAM supported gb, someone would have already modified the previous GB.vpx and it would be available at the 'normal' places.

Yeah I've got those bits up and running and can add coins and stuff, though I have no table assets to load into the program.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Yeah I've got those bits up and running and can add coins and stuff, though I have no table assets to load into the program.

What bits? Stern SPIKE isn't emulated so there isn't anything to get up and running. If you are using the hacked Stern Pinball Browser... well, that isn't going to let you play a vpx table, but you can have fun making a custom DMD for the real table. So I assume you are using the forked 03182018 pinmame and with the required TPA compiled gb.dll which is just WRONG (or stealing, depending on your moral viewpoint).

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
What bits? Stern SPIKE isn't emulated so there isn't anything to get up and running. If you are using the hacked Stern Pinball Browser... well, that isn't going to let you play a vpx table, but you can have fun making a custom DMD for the real table. So I assume you are using the forked 03182018 pinmame and with the required TPA compiled gb.dll which is just WRONG (or stealing, depending on your moral viewpoint).

Whilst I agree the method is controversial, I don't have a moral dilemma repurposing the DLL for personal use as I've purchased Farsight's version on Steam, Switch and Rift. I was really hoping it would taken as a polite request, I don't want to ruffle feathers or engage in an argument about it.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Whilst I agree the method is controversial, I don't have a moral dilemma repurposing the DLL for personal use as I've purchased Farsight's version on Steam, Switch and Rift. I was really hoping it would taken as a polite request, I don't want to ruffle feathers or engage in an argument about it.

The table was built by deconstructing and reusing elements from the TPA table with tools by the same author of the dll loader. The whole project was questionable from the beginning, and is one of the reasons why monsterbashpincab was shut down and we no longer hear much from Tom, and Jay has gone on to other projects.

p.s. you didn't miss much but if you have good vpx table building skills you could make enough adjustments to have it play fairly well. But it is still missing out on the enormous improvement in pinmame since (fast flips, etc.).

p.s.s. With what is going on with the Pinball Browser, it is more likely we will see the SPIKE tables done via UltraDMD and EM style rule scripts. Huge undertakings, but there are a few dedicated authors interested in breaking the next barrier.

Last edited:

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I tried to install VPX today and to my utter astonishment there's no built-in support for any game controllers (not even ubiquitous ones like Xbox 360/One, Dualshock 3/4, etc.) even though since at least the Pinball Hall of Fame era people have been playing Pinball games with controllers. Is that not done to keep a low profile and avoid any legal issues (e.g. remain a niche item on purpose)? I downloaded the "full installer" pack.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I tried to install VPX today and to my utter astonishment there's no built-in support for any game controllers (not even ubiquitous ones like Xbox 360/One, Dualshock 3/4, etc.) even though since at least the Pinball Hall of Fame era people have been playing Pinball games with controllers. Is that not done to keep a low profile and avoid any legal issues (e.g. remain a niche item on purpose)? I downloaded the "full installer" pack.

Use Xpadder, JoytoKey or some other controller to keyboard mapper.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I don't use xpadder and I can use the xbox one controller just fine.

- ensure your controller is on (if wireless)/plugged in
- start VPX
- from the menu, select preferences / configure keys nudge and DOF
- assign the buttons as you see fit
- As a fellow Canadian, I need to remind you that as per our canadian citizenship contract, you must now apologize for spreading misinformation ;)

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I tried that months ago with a Steam controller. In VPX it just called it things like button 1, button 2, button 24 etc. and nigh-on impossible (for me) to work out how to assign actual buttons.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
IMHO that is a first world problem. So take the time to map it, it's not like you have to do it every single time you boot VP.

in win10:

- type joy in the windows search bar
- select "setup usb game controllers" from the search result
- assuming your controller is showing up, select it and click properties
- press everyone of your buttons and you will see the relevant numbered button line up. Make note of the ones you want to remap
- Now that you know how WINDOWS sees your controller, go into VP and map it accordingly

It's possible not all buttons are mappable but you SHOULD be able to map left/right flippers, plungers, etc. When using my VRPC (I also have a dedicated pincab), Here's how I have my xbox one controller mapped, works for me:

- left/right bumpers are the left/right flippers (buttons 5/6)
- left trigger is the plunger (Z AXIS on the XBOX controller, that way you get analog control)
- button 1 (A) is also the plunger (for a digital solution and for those games like T2 that have a "gun" to shoot the ball)
- left/right magnasave (buttons 3 and 2 so on xbox controller it is X and B). Old VP EM's often use the right magnasave to lift the ball into the plunger. There are also modern tables that have a button on the lockbar, that's also mapped to the right magnasave (like Stern Star Trek's launch button)
- Add credits is the options button (button 7) and start game is the "start" button (button 8)

The left joystick I think is set as an analogue nudging I think but word of warning, you need to adjust the analog setting within VP for that to work decently.

I have button 4 (the Y button) mapped to "recenter" because I'm using the VR version of VP and it's a must to have that handy.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Doesn't work for a Steam controller - I open up setup usb game controllers and it isn't there. I tried those button numbers, I can launch the ball with the A button, and tilt the table with the B button, and haven't got anything else to work. When I tried before, guessing button numbers didn't get me anywhere either.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.