Cabinet Users Requests. Just in case Zen decide to give us even more love & attention

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
Cabinet Users Requests. Just in case Zen decide to give us even more love & attention

Put simply WOW I’m blown away by the Williams tables and what Zen has done with them and Volume one has exceeded all my expectations, especially the enhanced modes which I am playing in Arcade mode on my 3 screen setup.
I also realise the cabinet community is quite small in comparison to the console/desktop PC one but I for one would gladly pay for a DLC if it was a cabinet menu system much like Arcooda’s and I’m sure fellow Cab users would too.
Anyway I’m currently using PinballX which is great however it seems to load the default Zen Physics model which is not ideal for my setup and an option of making arcade as default in Zen settings would be awesome and suit both sides of the fence.
Another request would be giving users a similar option to lock camera on animations in enhanced mode should they prefer that style of play.

My two penneth for what it’s worth, now back to my Williams Volume one

GAH1068

Mar 6, 2018
Try adding -class as a startup parameter. I saw someone else using this for previous fx3 and it might enable the new physics for the WMS tables

Moosebox

Sep 21, 2018
In the Steam Discussion, Zen has said that they have disabled 'dynamic camera' and will release it in a future update. As for Active Backglass on 2nd/3rd monitor, they said the following when I asked: "We have work to do on cabinet mode. This is ongoing and we hear your request!"

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
In the Steam Discussion, Zen has said that they have disabled 'dynamic camera' and will release it in a future update. As for Active Backglass on 2nd/3rd monitor, they said the following when I asked: "We have work to do on cabinet mode. This is ongoing and we hear your request!"

Oooh just had a little wet patch in me UnderCrackers!

pinball_chaos

Zen Studios Employee
Aug 13, 2018
This is a thread I am really excited to participate in. Please keep your requests coming and let's talk about what to prioritize.

ImperiousStout

Aug 28, 2017
Full camera customization in cabinet mode is necessary for me. Similar to the Free Camera Mod for Pinball Arcade. Talking placement / zoom / fov / angle / lock / etc. Not all tables and display setups are the same and require some adjustments for the most ideal presentation. All their default views just aren't good enough.

On top of that, one of the biggest issues I have is with my 21:9 display in portrait orientation. Using cabinet mode's rotation, it doesn't fill the screen, just see the 9:16 view letterboxed. Using Windows' portrait rotation, it fills the screen, but the sides of the tables and playfields (and even menus) are cropped off completely. So despite having a 'taller' display which one would expect should show more of a long pinball machine, I actually see less! It's extremely frustrating. Niche user case I know, but a custom camera option could fix that crop and zoom immediately while also allowing everyone else to best tailor the views for their individual setups.

It's hard for me to support this game when I can't even display it properly.

Last edited:

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Full camera customization in cabinet mode is necessary for me. Similar to the Free Camera Mod for Pinball Arcade. Talking placement / zoom / fov / angle / lock / etc. Not all tables and display setups are the same and require some adjustments for the most ideal presentation. All their default views just aren't good enough.

On top of that, one of the biggest issues I have is with my 21:9 display in portrait orientation. Using cabinet mode's rotation, it doesn't fill the screen, just see the 9:16 view letterboxed. Using Windows' portrait rotation, it fills the screen, but the sides of the tables and playfields (and even menus) are cropped off completely. So despite having a 'taller' display which one would expect should show more of a long pinball machine, I actually see less! It's extremely frustrating. Niche user case I know, but a custom camera option could fix that crop and zoom immediately while also allowing everyone else to best tailor the views for their individual setups.

Does any current pinball game support 21:9? I thought i remembered this being an issue on TPA too.

ImperiousStout

Aug 28, 2017
Does any current pinball game support 21:9? I thought i remembered this being an issue on TPA too.

TPA worked great for me in 9:21, especially with the camera mod. Not perfect without the mod, similar to FX3 with some cropping but still had some better camera views than FX3 by default to make up for that. I personally had no problems with it, can't speak for others.

Anyway, proper ultrawide/tall aspect ratio support would be nice to finally have in a pinball game like FX3, and makes a lot of sense given the dimensions of various playfields (9:21 is closer to standards, while 9:16 is closer to widebodys), but it's still far less important than some actual camera customization. As just being able to zoom out a bit would fix the cropping issue right away, and camera control could be utilized by and useful to anyone and everyone, not just a handful of people with 9:21 setups.

Last edited:

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
Maybe make game play less reliant on mouse or keyboard. I am rebuilding my cabinet to have a trackball so I can have a mouse! I may be looked down upon for it but I can live with that. :cool: If I want to use Steam as a front end it is almost required.

Sebinouse

Jul 18, 2012
Multiplayer option with -hotseat_2 works from a frontend but fails to quit on my computer (PBX3 just freezes)

Did anyone managed to get it to launch and quit properly via PinballX / PinballY / PinUp with this parameter ?

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
You can run steam in big picture mode and use a controller. or use Controller Companion

I actually do boot to Big Picture Mode and my controller is a VirtuaPin board that is setup to emulate the Steam controller. I mapped all the buttons to how an X-box controller works and remapped some of those to the game. The accelerometer is set for the left joystick to give me nudging. Flippers set to triggers...etc. Works decent enough, just a little rough starting the FX3 start menu. Once I get a game started the basic buttons are all I need but the game selection screens scream for a mouse or keyboard. It may be that I need to map a few buttons differently to get through the main screen. I put a trackball on my bartop cabinet and I am liking it for a mouse so when I get the regular cabinet retrofitted with a trackball I will be set I think

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018

See https://www.twitch.tv/videos/336647087?t=010m sounds like its exactly what you were asking for.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
another feature request - Color DMD. Seeing this in action on the re-release of MM and AFM as well as some aftermarket mods using the "colorDMD" displays adds some nice visuals, perfectly in line with the added animations. Of course this would probably spark a "make all the classic Zen DMD in color too" movement which I wouldn't complain about either.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
another feature request - Color DMD. Seeing this in action on the re-release of MM and AFM as well as some aftermarket mods using the "colorDMD" displays adds some nice visuals, perfectly in line with the added animations. Of course this would probably spark a "make all the classic Zen DMD in color too" movement which I wouldn't complain about either.

Not a cab player but I’m fully in favour of having a UI menu option for a colour DMD.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The only issue with ColorDMD is Zen would have to either license it from them, or go and colorize it all themselves. I'll tell you right now, it's a VERY time consuming process. As for AFM and MM, if you want the new version as seen in the remakes, Zen'd have to again license it, this time from the peeps responsible for the remake. And finally, if Zen did Cactus Canyon Continued, they'd have to license the entire ROM set (totally worth it though) which would include the colorization.

I truly hope Zen does decide to go this route, and I can personally put them in touch with the ColorDMD guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.