Thread: Feedback and issues on FX3 Williams Pinball Vol. 1 - Release version

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.

So the table visually moves the wrong direction as well?
    Last edited by Jeff Strong; 10-11-2018 at 05:45 PM.

My Devices
    Vita PS3 PS4 Switch PC
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not visually, no. So it's like the table is moving left but the ball is also moving left. Which is messing with my brain.

Or maybe my orientation is just messed up. I probably shouldn't try figuring stuff like this out right after waking up.

My Devices
    iPad 4, iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An invert nudge option would make everyone happy. I actually like it ass backward on digital. I know it’s not like the real thing, but I just like it. Invert nudge toggle switch would be great.

My Devices
    p6800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is the real thing? When the ball comes down the middle and you gently nudge the table towards left, the ball should go slightly right. Right?!

https://www.ipdb.org/playing/advanced.html

The basic concept is that you want to move the machine to change the direction of the ball, and you must move the machine in the opposite direction as you want the ball to move.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a minor thing, but I wish the DMD display would be slightly bigger on FX3.
    I know there is a setting to change the size, but on my display (I'm using a 1680x1050 resolution on my PC) the default (medium) size seems too small, and the next size is too big, and it gets superimposed over the actual table.

On TPA, the size was pretty much perfect, not too big, not too small.

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p6800 View Post
    How is the real thing? When the ball comes down the middle and you gently nudge the table towards left, the ball should go slightly right. Right?!

https://www.ipdb.org/playing/advanced.html
    Yes, that is correct, but it's sometimes hard to tell for a number of reasons:

1.) It's much more subtle than TPA (which is good because it was way overdone in TPA)
    2.) when it's out on the open playfield, the ball barely moves or doesn't move at all (again also a good thing)
    3.) when the ball is near a playfield object(s), your nudge can actually send it in the opposite direction you want because of the collision and bounce off the object, which makes it hard to tell sometimes. You'll notice this if you try to nudge when the ball is resting on a raised left flipper for example. If you nudge the table to the right, the ball will bounce against the side of the left inlane and actually move more right instead of left. If you nudge to the left, the ball will bounce off the flipper and actually move left instead of right. This can screw you sometimes if you're nudging to save an outlane drain and the ball nips a post or the top of the sling and goes in the opposite direction you intended.
    Last edited by Jeff Strong; 10-11-2018 at 05:45 PM.

My Devices
    p6800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Strong View Post
    3.) when the ball is near a playfield object, your nudge can actually send it in the opposite direction you want because of the collision and bounce off the object, which makes it hard to tell sometimes. You'll notice this if you try to nudge when the ball is resting on a raised left flipper for example. If you nudge the table to the right, the ball will bounce against the side of the left inlane and actually move more right instead of left.
    That's something covered in the earlier link.

The only times that you move the machine in the same direction as you want the ball to go is when the ball is stuck against something or when you want to send the ball through the Narrow Escape gate in Indiana Jones.
    The thing is, nudging is a huuuge part of the experience. Have we seen how pros play at tournaments? It's a non-stop shake, nudge, slap-fest. That's something i got used to in TPA. I constantly use slight nudging to make the ball do what i want, as we all do. The way things are now, nudging is unusable in FX3. Slight double nudge? 1st warning. And the nudge has a way too small of an impact on the ball to make you feel in control using this technique. I tried practice mode, where tilting is disabled. I don't fell like i'm doing anything to be where i would like to be. Invert nudge=ON probably has something to do with it after years of TPA having the nudging the right direction at least, even if overdone.

This could be another option in the future: "Nudging effect: normal, high, overdone"

My Devices
    Windows PC, Android, PS3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    TPA had it correct, directionally speaking. Pushing left moved the table left (which means using your right hand to push the right side of the machine to move it left), which moved the ball to the right.

It was you inversion guys who were doing it backwards. Monsters, the lot of you.

Unfortunately as of right now FX3's (and Zaccaria's) nudging also feels inverted by default on Switch. I hope they add the option to reverse it to the way it should be.
    It seemed backwards to me on PC too. Of course it's impossible to tell when the ball is on the open field because it seems to have no effect at all. I was trying nudging with the ball trapped on a flipper though, and as far as I could tell it feels backwards.

I played for an hour or so last night and honestly I was a bit disappointed in the physics. I was super hyped for the release after seeing their video on the flipper "tricks", but once I started playing I found myself not really enjoying the game. I'm using the classic physics and my main gripes are:

1. Aiming just seems off. I can't seem to hit anything. I've never had a problem IRL, on TPA, or using Zen's old physics. I'm normally shooting from a trap and it just doesn't feel right. My shots almost always end up too far too either side of what I'm shooting for. I thought maybe I had some sort of input lag going on but when I switched over to "Zen physics" I had no problems.

2. Backhands are still way too hard to do. I thought the Monster Fish shot on Fish Tales was impossible, but ended up hitting it maybe 5% of the time (I was just trapping the ball on the left flipper and trying the backhand over and over).

3. The table seems way too steep (ball is so fast). There is "realistic" and there is just hard, and I think this is too far to the hard side. Off the plunge on Fish Tales - if you hold the left flipper up the ball will bounce up a full third of the playfield. This also makes it extremely difficult to pull off live catches. I do them all the time IRL and I just can't do it consistently at all in Zen's recreation.

I really hope they spend a bit more time tuning things up.
    Pinball FX3 wish list - Defender, Road Kings, Barracora, Blackout, Embryon, Mata Hari
    TPA wish list - The Walking Dead, LOTR, Transformers, TRON, X-Men, The Sopranos, Terminator 3, CSI, Gottlieb EMs!!

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, playing in practice mode with the tilt off and going ham reveals that nudging is indeed backwards. I guess I couldn't really tell before since it's so subtle otherwise so I haven't really been nudging all that much.

So yeah, it's a problem. Keyboard users can at least remap the controls, but everyone else is out of luck, for now anyway. :/

My Devices
    Xbox 360, Wii U, Vita, PS3, Kindle Fire, PC, Switch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, playing in practice mode with the tilt off and going ham reveals that nudging is indeed backwards. I guess I couldn't really tell before since it's so subtle otherwise so I haven't really been nudging all that much.

So yeah, it's a problem. Keyboard users can at least remap the controls, but everyone else is out of luck, for now anyway. :/
    Speaking of practice mode, is there anyway to do practice mode with classic physics? Only seems to use single player physics.

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok5555555 View Post
    Speaking of practice mode, is there anyway to do practice mode with classic physics? Only seems to use single player physics.
    Doesn't appear to be a way.

My Devices
    PC
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fish Tales scores are retained after release. Including Tarek's 17 billion on Classic Arcade from Beta 2.

Why, Zen? I thought leaderboards were supposed to be reset?

My Devices
    PS3, PS4 Pro, Vita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing on a PS4 Pro......

I only played a very short time as I usually only game on weekends, but I just had to give these a go and noticed 2 issues immediately:

Medieval Madness....got a static sound burst during multi-ball. Seemed to have something to do with the trolls or castle gate....not sure.

The Getaway......again during multi-ball, had balls gets piled up in the plunger when I had a flurry of quick drains. Couldn't launch them manually and the table had to go into (what do you call it) stuck ball search....where it starts triggering various areas in the playfield to dislodge a stuck ball. It eventually fixed itself and was able to finish the game, but it was odd that I couldn't manually launch the balls out of the trough.

I consider these minor issues and I'm not complaining, just reporting issues I noticed.

That said, I am very impressed with Zen's re-creations of these tables. The ball physics and graphical enhancements are amazing. Will buy all they make in the future.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My notes so far on PC version after some hours play:

Physics on classic play:
    - Drop catches are near impossible to do. In several hours of practice and attempts I have not made one yet. In the last beta it was possible but hard. Has anyone been able to do drop catches?
    - I enjoy the challenging physics compared to TPA and more realistic nudging.

General:
    - Why can't you make a tournament with classic or tournament physics? It is always Zen physics even though it says "tournament" or "classic".
    - Please save the selection on Zen graphics on the tables when playing classic mode, so I don't have to select it every time I start a new game.
    - MM: I think the dragon flying above the table is a cool effect but maybe interferes too much with gameplay so I turn it off on that table.
    - Please remove highscores from betas in the leaderboards.
    Last edited by greatdane; 10-12-2018 at 07:09 AM.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2, PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we not turn off the event cam in single player mode?

My Devices
    PS3 PC PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been generally very impressed with the pack overall. For me though, it's the platform that's the real star of the show. All of the modes and ways to play elevate it over what has been done in the past. The choice of physics options have been really appreciated and I have been surprised to find myself enoying all three modes at different times, though I tend to like the Deep Engine the most.

things I hope may be improved -

Flashers are way too weak - I noticed on MM they seem to glow on and off rather than flash and the light doesn't spread far. IRL they flood the whole table with light/colour hue. It's not a game engine limitation as far as I can tell, as the flashers on Rogue One cast light over the whole play area. There are also dazzling light effects on the Aliens tables.

Dynamic lighting for room and bulbs - I know this is in their roadmap though. I guess it can't be added to Zen original tables as they often have colour and brightness shifts that adjust according to gameplay. This isn't the case for Williams tables though and the very fact that the Zen originals feature variable brightness suggests it should be relatively easy for them to add as an option as it is already there in engine.

Rumble - Needs dialling up a bit; both stronger and triggered by more events on the playfield. It is something I felt TPA got spot on; you could really feel the ball slamming round the table.

Wireforms - They look matte compared to the real thing and generally don't seem to reflect lightsources on the tables. I am wondering if this has been left out to make porting to weaker systems easier. Going back to TPA I noticed varying approaches to them, with World cup soccer looking super reflective but even Fish Tales (earlier in TPAs life) has table lights reflected on them in a more diffuse manner (see the rail in middle of the table).

Freelook camera - I love that you can examine the table close up (at no extra charge!) but would love a ZOOM option added to the L2 R2 to get even closer; all that nice detail is worth studying!
    Last edited by iCub; 10-12-2018 at 09:55 AM.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iCub View Post
    Have been generally very impressed with the pack overall. For me though, it's the platform that's the real star of the show. All of the modes and ways to play elevate it over what has been done in the past. The choice of physics options have been really appreciated and I have been surprised to find myself enoying all three modes at different times, though I tend to like the Deep Engine the most.

Flashers are way too weak - I noticed on MM they seem to glow on and off rather than flash and the light doesn't spread far. IRL they flood the whole table with light/colour hue. It's not a game engine limitation as far as I can tell, as the flashers on Rogue One cast light over the whole play area. There are also dazzling light effects on the Aliens tables.

Dynamic lighting for room and bulbs - I know this is in their roadmap though. I guess it can't be added to Zen original tables as they often have colour and brightness shifts that adjust according to gameplay. This isn't the case for Williams tables though and the very fact that the Zen originals feature variable brightness suggests it should be relatively easy for them to add as an option as it is already there in engine.

Rumble - Needs dialling up a bit; both stronger and triggered by more events on the playfield. It is something I felt TPA got spot on; you could really feel the ball slamming round the table.

Wireforms - They look matte compared to the real thing and generally don't seem to reflect lightsources on the tables. I am wondering if this has been left out to make porting to weaker systems easier. Going back to TPA I noticed varying approaches to them, with World cup soccer looking super reflective but even Fish Tales (earlier in TPAs life) has table lights reflected on them in a more diffuse manner (see the rail in middle of the table).

Freelook camera - I love that you can examine the table close up (at no extra charge!) but would love a ZOOM option added to the L2 R2 to get even closer; all that nice detail is worth studying!
    All excellent points for improvement and I agree with every single one.
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Pinball Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

subscribe to BlahCade Pinball Podcast on YouTube

buy BlahCade t-shirt at RedBubble.com

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    Xbox 360, Wii U, Vita, PS3, Kindle Fire, PC, Switch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you supposed to get an extra ball in Medieval Madness at 28 Million or is that just something TPA added?

Also, on a side note, the MM challenges seem really easy to get. I got the max for 5 min challenge in half the time and easily got the 1 ball max which is almost impossible on other tables.

My Devices
    Chew-Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrolson View Post
    Can we not turn off the event cam in single player mode?
    Not sure if there is an option but I know the event cam doesn't activate at all if you are playing on the classic non-zenified style

My Devices
    PS4, iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlike the beta, you can't mute the pop-up Zen woman anymore. I have turned menu voice over option off but it doesn't affect her when she's advising of gaining levels and scores etc. The 'voices' audio slider is now linked to other elements, such as the speech within Medieval Madness so I can't mute her with this.
    There's a setting in the main options to turn her off completely. I haven't seen her at all, at least on PS4.
    psn: dirtyepic_sk

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the nudging, I'm finding it only feels backwards with the analog stick. If you use the keyboard, it's fine. I think this is why I original didn't notice it because my X-arcade uses buttons for nudging that are mapped to keys (Z and /) and I play with that 90% of the time.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the nudging, I'm finding it only feels backwards with the analog stick. If you use the keyboard, it's fine. I think this is why I original didn't notice it because my X-arcade uses buttons for nudging that are mapped to keys (Z and /) and I play with that 90% of the time.
    Odd, I’m finding the nudging direction feels very natural to me. Only last night I was thinking that Zen had done a very good job with balancing it too. I managed to tilt with a slight nudge too many and it felt completely fair to me.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m using an Xbox controller on PC

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psykil View Post
    There's a setting in the main options to turn her off completely. I haven't seen her at all, at least on PS4.
    Nice, that's the stuff! Thank you.

My Devices
    PS4 PS3 Vita iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iCub View Post

Excellent points, totally agree.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast