Feedback and issues on FX3 Williams Pinball Vol. 1 - Release version

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Fish Tales scores are retained after release. Including Tarek's 17 billion on Classic Arcade from Beta 2.

Why, Zen? I thought leaderboards were supposed to be reset?

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
Playing on a PS4 Pro......

I only played a very short time as I usually only game on weekends, but I just had to give these a go and noticed 2 issues immediately:

Medieval Madness....got a static sound burst during multi-ball. Seemed to have something to do with the trolls or castle gate....not sure.

The Getaway......again during multi-ball, had balls gets piled up in the plunger when I had a flurry of quick drains. Couldn't launch them manually and the table had to go into (what do you call it) stuck ball search....where it starts triggering various areas in the playfield to dislodge a stuck ball. It eventually fixed itself and was able to finish the game, but it was odd that I couldn't manually launch the balls out of the trough.

I consider these minor issues and I'm not complaining, just reporting issues I noticed.

That said, I am very impressed with Zen's re-creations of these tables. The ball physics and graphical enhancements are amazing. Will buy all they make in the future.

greatdane

Feb 19, 2015
My notes so far on PC version after some hours play:

Physics on classic play:
- Drop catches are near impossible to do. In several hours of practice and attempts I have not made one yet. In the last beta it was possible but hard. Has anyone been able to do drop catches?
- I enjoy the challenging physics compared to TPA and more realistic nudging.

General:
- Why can't you make a tournament with classic or tournament physics? It is always Zen physics even though it says "tournament" or "classic".
- Please save the selection on Zen graphics on the tables when playing classic mode, so I don't have to select it every time I start a new game.
- MM: I think the dragon flying above the table is a cool effect but maybe interferes too much with gameplay so I turn it off on that table.
- Please remove highscores from betas in the leaderboards.

Last edited:

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
Have been generally very impressed with the pack overall. For me though, it's the platform that's the real star of the show. All of the modes and ways to play elevate it over what has been done in the past. The choice of physics options have been really appreciated and I have been surprised to find myself enoying all three modes at different times, though I tend to like the Deep Engine the most.

things I hope may be improved -

Flashers are way too weak - I noticed on MM they seem to glow on and off rather than flash and the light doesn't spread far. IRL they flood the whole table with light/colour hue. It's not a game engine limitation as far as I can tell, as the flashers on Rogue One cast light over the whole play area. There are also dazzling light effects on the Aliens tables.

Dynamic lighting for room and bulbs - I know this is in their roadmap though. I guess it can't be added to Zen original tables as they often have colour and brightness shifts that adjust according to gameplay. This isn't the case for Williams tables though and the very fact that the Zen originals feature variable brightness suggests it should be relatively easy for them to add as an option as it is already there in engine.

Rumble - Needs dialling up a bit; both stronger and triggered by more events on the playfield. It is something I felt TPA got spot on; you could really feel the ball slamming round the table.

Wireforms - They look matte compared to the real thing and generally don't seem to reflect lightsources on the tables. I am wondering if this has been left out to make porting to weaker systems easier. Going back to TPA I noticed varying approaches to them, with World cup soccer looking super reflective but even Fish Tales (earlier in TPAs life) has table lights reflected on them in a more diffuse manner (see the rail in middle of the table).

Freelook camera - I love that you can examine the table close up (at no extra charge!) but would love a ZOOM option added to the L2 R2 to get even closer; all that nice detail is worth studying!

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Have been generally very impressed with the pack overall. For me though, it's the platform that's the real star of the show. All of the modes and ways to play elevate it over what has been done in the past. The choice of physics options have been really appreciated and I have been surprised to find myself enoying all three modes at different times, though I tend to like the Deep Engine the most.

Flashers are way too weak - I noticed on MM they seem to glow on and off rather than flash and the light doesn't spread far. IRL they flood the whole table with light/colour hue. It's not a game engine limitation as far as I can tell, as the flashers on Rogue One cast light over the whole play area. There are also dazzling light effects on the Aliens tables.

Dynamic lighting for room and bulbs - I know this is in their roadmap though. I guess it can't be added to Zen original tables as they often have colour and brightness shifts that adjust according to gameplay. This isn't the case for Williams tables though and the very fact that the Zen originals feature variable brightness suggests it should be relatively easy for them to add as an option as it is already there in engine.

Rumble - Needs dialling up a bit; both stronger and triggered by more events on the playfield. It is something I felt TPA got spot on; you could really feel the ball slamming round the table.

Wireforms - They look matte compared to the real thing and generally don't seem to reflect lightsources on the tables. I am wondering if this has been left out to make porting to weaker systems easier. Going back to TPA I noticed varying approaches to them, with World cup soccer looking super reflective but even Fish Tales (earlier in TPAs life) has table lights reflected on them in a more diffuse manner (see the rail in middle of the table).

Freelook camera - I love that you can examine the table close up (at no extra charge!) but would love a ZOOM option added to the L2 R2 to get even closer; all that nice detail is worth studying!

All excellent points for improvement and I agree with every single one.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Are you supposed to get an extra ball in Medieval Madness at 28 Million or is that just something TPA added?

Also, on a side note, the MM challenges seem really easy to get. I got the max for 5 min challenge in half the time and easily got the 1 ball max which is almost impossible on other tables.

psykil

Nov 8, 2016
Unlike the beta, you can't mute the pop-up Zen woman anymore. I have turned menu voice over option off but it doesn't affect her when she's advising of gaining levels and scores etc. The 'voices' audio slider is now linked to other elements, such as the speech within Medieval Madness so I can't mute her with this.

There's a setting in the main options to turn her off completely. I haven't seen her at all, at least on PS4.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
With the nudging, I'm finding it only feels backwards with the analog stick. If you use the keyboard, it's fine. I think this is why I original didn't notice it because my X-arcade uses buttons for nudging that are mapped to keys (Z and /) and I play with that 90% of the time.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
With the nudging, I'm finding it only feels backwards with the analog stick. If you use the keyboard, it's fine. I think this is why I original didn't notice it because my X-arcade uses buttons for nudging that are mapped to keys (Z and /) and I play with that 90% of the time.

Odd, I’m finding the nudging direction feels very natural to me. Only last night I was thinking that Zen had done a very good job with balancing it too. I managed to tilt with a slight nudge too many and it felt completely fair to me.

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015

Excellent points, totally agree.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Great points indeed.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
It would be cool if tournaments could be made with arcade and tournament settings. I have always liked the zen originals tournaments, but I want to play the williams tables with the more realistic physics in tournament mode.

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
Fish Tales Music Cut Out

I started feeding frenzy, caught another fish and cashed the tale in by hitting the spinner (and then the ball entered the fish finder hole - but fish finder wasn't active). When the ball ejected, the game played the 'you just drained the ball' music cue and the feeding frenzy mode continued without music. Once the mode ended, normal audio resumed.

Not sure if this is a coincidence or something that can be recreated. I'd test it but I'm too pants at the table.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
One issue I found: In a 5 min. challenge I had it happening again, that the ball drained and instead of returning the ball, the bonus calculation came and it was Game over with more than a minute still to play. Table: The Getaway.

This happened to me again 2 x out of 5 in my own 5-min-tournament (The Getaway)

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
has anyone had video mode on MM yet? It's easy to get the 8 FIRE's but Merlin never lights to award me the mode. Also - how do you use your Troll Bombs in BFTK?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.