Feedback and issues on FX3 Williams Pinball Vol. 1 - Release version

Oct 15, 2013
Well Fish Tales is fun. Could never get into it on TPA but the Zen version makes me want to learn the table. Tried out the other tables via the demo as well. So here are some things I've noticed. The audio callouts on Medieval Madness don't seem loud enough to me. I tried turning up voice in the options but it doesn't seem to effect the actual callout volume on the tables. Cranking the overall volume up doesn't work either. Another thing the right analog stick movement to look up at the DMD seems too fast. It's a bit jerky and sometimes during gameplay I'll bump the right stick and the camera will jerk up. Also I was looking forward to having the new DMD camera view but I find it's too far away from the table to be really usable for me. View 2 seems to be the best but View 3 shows off the ball and graphics more. Always had a problem with Zen camera views, could never find the perfect one. I also had a soft crash of the game while playing Fish Tales. The game froze with a rolling ball sound repeating over and over again. Luckily it was easy to close the game down and bring it up again being on the PS4 version. Played for a couple hours and that was the only crash I had.

One more thing, does anybody know what attract mode does in the options? It's off by default but I couldn't tell the difference with it on or off. The music still played when in flyby mode before starting a game.

Overall I'd say the ball movement and gameplay is a step up from TPA. I also really like the ability to look around the table and be able to actually read the playfield art. Would be nice if you could move around with the joystick instead of motion controls though. Also a little bit of zoom in would be nice. Still on the fence about getting the pack for 10 bucks though. I think they may have given away the best table out of the bunch for free. Didn't have as much fun with the demos of Junkyard and Getaway 2. Medieval Madness seems good but having it censored is a bummer and the audio callouts sound better on TPA to me. I have all the tables on the PS3 version of TPA except for The Getaway 2. The censorship and callout issues are making it harder for me to purchase even though the visuals and gameplay seem better.

Still having fun with Fish Tales so I think I'll wait for a patch. That Medieval Madness though...........

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
The audio callouts on Medieval Madness don't seem loud enough to me. I tried turning up voice in the options but it doesn't seem to effect the actual callout volume on the tables. Cranking the overall volume up doesn't work either.

Just to let you know that the voice slider in the audio menu definitely does affect the voice call outs in MM. I had it set to zero to silence the Zen lady but then noticed that all the voices were missing in MM.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Audio:
As we've already stated there are syncronization issues between what the ROM is trying to play and what is being played. Meaning that audio can quite often play either too quickly or too slowly. I had an issue last night where this seemed to be affecting the ball movement as well. At one point the ball (and audio) completely froze, only to appear a second or so later somewhere else on the table entirely.

Volume levels on the Williams tables do seem quiet compared to the normal Zen tables. I switched from a Williams table to a Marvel table which was a hell of a lot louder.

Graphics:
There's a texture hole in the plunger unit on Junk Yard. Meaning you can see right through to the carpet. This can easily be seen in landscape view.

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
The middle pop-bumper in Fish Tales seems to lack audio commonly when bouncing the ball between the bumper and wall on the lower right side.

Edit: This is not isolated to this pop bumper. The pop bumper sound is missing anytime the ball is bounced very rapidly between a bumper and a wall/piece of the playfield. I've also seen this happen on The Getaway.

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
One more thing, does anybody know what attract mode does in the options? It's off by default but I couldn't tell the difference with it on or off. The music still played when in flyby mode before starting a game.

I've googled it and I'm fairly sure attract mode is the bit at the end of the game where 2 numbers match - default setting is normal, other setting think you can click a button (probably the launch button) to skip it.

I now know where the music on BlahCade podcast came from - High Speed II the Getaway.

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
I've googled it and I'm fairly sure attract mode is the bit at the end of the game where 2 numbers match - default setting is normal, other setting think you can click a button (probably the launch button) to skip it.

I think it's the table playing music, flashing lights or otherwise calling out to attract passers-by. It only activates after you've played a game, apparently.

Ah right, nice :cool:

There's no option to turn Family Mode on/off though? It's just off?

Not that I'd want to switch it on :D

It's off by default but you can turn it on in the options.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I haven't played much yet, but it looks like enabling attract mode leaves you at the table after a game until you press A to get back to the menu, so you can watch the attract mode sequence that plays when there's no game active. With attract mode off, it takes you back to the menu automatically after the match sequence.

p6800

May 17, 2013
- Is the nudging the other way around? In TPA, i push the right stick left, the table moves left and the ball goes right. In FX3 it's set as "Invert Nudge ON" from TPA. Have i missed this option somehow?

- More detailed options to set the controller buttons would be nice too, like in TPA.

- Room Brightness slider. Has this been talked by the developers? It's something for the future, or we are stuck with default?

- Slope adjustment. I feel the tables are way faster than what i was used to.

- Also a slider or something that makes nudging more forgiving. A full flick of the stick should not give an automatic warning. Maybe TPA got us used to this, that's why an option for this would be welcomed.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
I notice that it doesn't show the ball trail for Fish Tales even though I have it on. Doesn't matter which mode, it never shows.

Plungemaster

Apr 19, 2018
Playing on nintendo switch. Fish tales. Arcade mode.

When going tate and back to normal view again, the game, still in arcade mode, starts the animations added by Zen.

Iga_Biva

Oct 10, 2018
I noticed that vibration on my PS4 controller are extremely weak. I can feel them when ball hits the bumpers but this is about it.

I have compared same tables with TPA and in TPA feeling is much better, at least for me.

I am new with Pinball FX3 so I don't know if this is by design (hopefully not) or this is a bug.

Otherwise, great job. Even my wife commented that tables are looking stunning!

Jake_Ry4n

Oct 9, 2018
- Is the nudging the other way around? In TPA, i push the right stick left, the table moves left and the ball goes right. In FX3 it's set as "Invert Nudge ON" from TPA. Have i missed this option somehow?

- More detailed options to set the controller buttons would be nice too, like in TPA.

- Room Brightness slider. Has this been talked by the developers? It's something for the future, or we are stuck with default?

- Slope adjustment. I feel the tables are way faster than what i was used to.

- Also a slider or something that makes nudging more forgiving. A full flick of the stick should not give an automatic warning. Maybe TPA got us used to this, that's why an option for this would be welcomed.

I've wondered that first question since I started playing Pinball FX. Seems complete opposite from the Pinball Arcade. I was trying to figure out which one is accurate to real life.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I noticed that vibration on my PS4 controller are extremely weak. I can feel them when ball hits the bumpers but this is about it.

I have compared same tables with TPA and in TPA feeling is much better, at least for me.

I am new with Pinball FX3 so I don't know if this is by design (hopefully not) or this is a bug.

Otherwise, great job. Even my wife commented that tables are looking stunning!

Agreed, vibration is weak on PC too compared to TPA.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
a full slam of the stick would give a warning in real life. zen is totally correct in that regard.

i think a full stick slam is more powerful then keyboard nudge. to not get a warning don't slam the stick so hard. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.