Feedback and issues on FX3 Williams Pinball Vol. 1 - Release version

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Great to see this launched now. I think the different settings Singleplayer (or Zen mode), Aracde and Tournament really feel very different and are fun to play. Good to see the difficulty on the non-Zen-tables being ramped up again. Also: Different leaderboards for Arcade and Tournament mode - very good.

One issue I found: In a 5 min. challenge I had it happening again, that the ball drained and instead of returning the ball, the bonus calculation came and it was Game over with more than a minute still to play. Table: The Getaway.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I posted this on FB but here’s my quick rundown

Quick review on PS4

The good:
Graphics are sharp and vibrant
Bulb lighting temperature is spot on
Pinball FX animations are cool and well integrated.
Surround sound has been well mixed
Superior presentation of the license
Flyovers of the playfield are awesome
The ball looks like chrome.

The bad:
Physics: No matter what mode I play the tables feel like there’s a magnet at the bottom that’s dragging the ball. Or, like the table’s been pitched as high as it can go. Also, I’ve owned and repaired a real Getaway and you can back hand the ramp IRL. Not in Zen though.

Dynamic lighting:
Pretty much none. Pinball Arcade is still superior in this area.

This is great product and I’m glad Zen acquired it but there’s a physic’s room for improvement. ��

Edits: After some practice I was able to back hand the ramp on Getaway so I retract my earlier complaint. Also, dropping the gamma and messing with my TV picture results in some decent dynamic lighting overall.

All in all, I’m happy with what Zen’s done and will purchase their future Williams releases.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Zen are aware about this:

This issue is across all 4 tables, where the game ROM speeds up for seemingly no reason. It was fine in the beta.

Currently, I think it has something to do with a ball being in play or a game in progress. If one is in Attract Mode, then the ROM speed should be fine.

xDagmaRx

Nov 5, 2016
On the Nintendo Switch version there is no option to turn Family Mode off on the Williams tables. In Medieval Madness the dragon burning the knight and the dragon losing his head has a big CENSORED sign on the DMD instead. I have the PC version and I am able to changes these settings in the UI/Streaming tab.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
had a chance to play all the tables.

Aside from already playing FT, I delved into MM a bit and noticed that the in-lanes seem to be quite fast even not going up the ramps. I don't recall if it was the same way in TPA. It seems hard to hit the castle gate or my timing is off on this table compared to FT and when I was playing TPA.

Wasn't into Junk Yard in TPA and I don't think it's any different here except I can be a bit more accurate.

High Speed 2 I had a really good score. right now Ranked #4 with around 209M. It seems easier to keep the ball in play more than it's kindred TPA. Just missed the red-line trophy. Oh well maybe in my next session.

A great release and nice to see this on the PBFX3 platform. Sure there are tweaks still need to be done but overall the tables are a blast.

One thing to note though. I'm sure many asked why they didn't beta test all the tables. They should have. I've been reading there are bugs issues on MM but can't reproduce them.

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
Fish Tales video mode is still slowing down when you get an extra ball as mentioned here.

They forgot to fix the 'M' on the flippers in The Getaway (only).

The dynamic camera on the Supercharger within The Getaway needs work. I scored a jackpot and shot another ball immediately into the supercharger, causing the zoom. The ball which scored a jackpot was released back into play while the Supercharger zoom was still active. I've heard they are working on an option to turn off dynamic cameras.

*** Edit: Issue rectified. Advised later in thread that she can be disabled within the UI options menu. *** Unlike the beta, you can't mute the pop-up Zen woman anymore. I have turned menu voice over option off but it doesn't affect her when she's advising of gaining levels and scores etc. The 'voices' audio slider is now linked to other elements, such as the speech within Medieval Madness so I can't mute her with this.

I've had the music - but not other sounds - in The Getaway drop out for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Purchased the pack on steam. Game crashes occasionally when swapping tables. Some strange quirks with the physics which feel a little unnatural.
Tourney mode with MM the castle gate has a vacuum cleaner feel and the ball acts odd around the flippers, seems to accelerate unnaturally and go super bouncy.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Occasionally, if I try to start the game on Switch while the Switch is online, the game will get an error and close. If I try again, it just keeps happening. But if I disconnect the Switch, start the game, then reconnect, I can start the game and use online features with no problem.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Occasionally, if I try to start the game on Switch while the Switch is online, the game will get an error and close. If I try again, it just keeps happening. But if I disconnect the Switch, start the game, then reconnect, I can start the game and use online features with no problem.

Hmmm, have you tried restarting your Switch yet? I've had other games on the system suffer from random crashes and other odd issues that are fixed by a restart.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
On the Nintendo Switch version there is no option to turn Family Mode off on the Williams tables. In Medieval Madness the dragon burning the knight and the dragon losing his head has a big CENSORED sign on the DMD instead. I have the PC version and I am able to changes these settings in the UI/Streaming tab.

For now only the PC has this ability. Zen is checking with the standards on consoles to see if non family version violates their ratings standards. Fish Tales in particular though is always going to have to remain censored (no cigar, bubbles coming from pelican's pipe, mermaid on cab art is in a one piece instead of bikini top) since it is free, and you are not agreeing to content by actually purchasing it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
had a chance to play all the tables.

Aside from already playing FT, I delved into MM a bit and noticed that the in-lanes seem to be quite fast even not going up the ramps. I don't recall if it was the same way in TPA. It seems hard to hit the castle gate or my timing is off on this table compared to FT and when I was playing TPA.

Wasn't into Junk Yard in TPA and I don't think it's any different here except I can be a bit more accurate.

High Speed 2 I had a really good score. right now Ranked #4 with around 209M. It seems easier to keep the ball in play more than it's kindred TPA. Just missed the red-line trophy. Oh well maybe in my next session.

A great release and nice to see this on the PBFX3 platform. Sure there are tweaks still need to be done but overall the tables are a blast.

One thing to note though. I'm sure many asked why they didn't beta test all the tables. They should have. I've been reading there are bugs issues on MM but can't reproduce them.

Whatever you do, please don't use TPA as the baseline for how these tables should behave! Make sure to try the tables out in arcade and tournament mode, as those are significantly more difficult than the TPA versions.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, pinball is supposed to be hard. I enjoy these tables hurting me like a sexy dominatrix.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Hmmm, have you tried restarting your Switch yet? I've had other games on the system suffer from random crashes and other odd issues that are fixed by a restart.

I've been noticing more Switch crashes since the last couple of updates. I get the feeling FX3 isn't even the issue, honestly.

I actually didn't need to restart. Just had to exit the game, disconnect from the internet, restart the game, then connect. After that, I was able to exit the game again and restart it while online without getting the error. Later in the day, after turning the Switch back on to play some more, I initially ran into the same issue and solved it the same way again.

xDagmaRx

Nov 5, 2016
For now only the PC has this ability. Zen is checking with the standards on consoles to see if non family version violates their ratings standards. Fish Tales in particular though is always going to have to remain censored (no cigar, bubbles coming from pelican's pipe, mermaid on cab art is in a one piece instead of bikini top) since it is free, and you are not agreeing to content by actually purchasing it.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Sure hope it goes through cause if the Elvira tables come out in the future i would hate to see them censored.

xDagmaRx

Nov 5, 2016
I've been noticing more Switch crashes since the last couple of updates. I get the feeling FX3 isn't even the issue, honestly.

I actually didn't need to restart. Just had to exit the game, disconnect from the internet, restart the game, then connect. After that, I was able to exit the game again and restart it while online without getting the error. Later in the day, after turning the Switch back on to play some more, I initially ran into the same issue and solved it the same way again.

I have a Switch with a ton of games on it and pretty much all day i have been switching from Zaccaria Pinball, Pinball FX3 and Rocket Leauge. My Switch hasnt crashed in over a month now and I play the thing alot. Completely powering your system off is helpful once in a while but you might want to check your sd card for errors too. Hope you get it resolved soon!

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I always turn my Switch completely off when I'm done playing, and FX3 isn't stored on my SD card, it's on the internal memory.

It's not really a big deal, just figured I'd mention it since it's an issue I had.

With my luck, I probably just have a jacked up Switch, haha.

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
Looking good on the cabinet! liking it. Tournament mode is wicked right after easy mode. It will wake you up for sure

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Whatever you do, please don't use TPA as the baseline for how these tables should behave! Make sure to try the tables out in arcade and tournament mode, as those are significantly more difficult than the TPA versions.

Well yeah sure. I'm just saying based on what I've played in relation to TPA and Zen of course. I wasn't trying to base it on TPA but it felt easier than expected. I've played real tables and so far Zen's prodcution of the tables so far are much better and much more difficult than the TPA in I'm not even going to touch single player. It's all about arcade and tournament mode at least for the Williams/bally tables.

At any rate more feedback -

Tournaments are wonky every tournament seems to have the Zen physics even where it says tournament mode. I logged in to play and after the first plunge on FT, i could trap the ball on the left flipper. That doesn't happen playing classic Single player. Is that supposed to be that way?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
At any rate more feedback -

Tournaments are wonky every tournament seems to have the Zen physics even where it says tournament mode. I logged in to play and after the first plunge on FT, i could trap the ball on the left flipper. That doesn't happen playing classic Single player. Is that supposed to be that way?

I noticed that too. It seems to retain the steeper flipper angle.

Zabu

Feb 5, 2013
I haven't had a lot of time to play today, but I noticed two things on PS4. These are all on 1-Ball Challenges and fairly short games, but on Fish Tales the fish finder seems to award 4million every time, and on Junk Yard, the ball save from just letting your ball drain on launch seems to level up the Multiball upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.