TPA v PFX3 - A Quick Comparison Video

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Hi all. A few people had asked about how the 2 different tables compared (TPA and PFX3) so I did a very quick comparison video. Nothing fancy...but if you've not seen either version or simply wanted to see how the 2 different tables compare...then it may be worth a watch.

The video shows both versions being played on the PS4 console.

Be interesting to know which one you prefer... :)

Here's the link.
https://youtu.be/hlqDPdhVUZU

TFHFony

Mar 9, 2017
ZEN wins by miles. in TPA I get the feeling I am playing on a machine that hasn't been cleaned in years and has been (and is) standing in a poorly lit cafe, while on the ZEN one it's like playing on a new machine. Colors are a lot more vibrant. Sound FX timing is way better. And the possibility to choose between different physics...
I can't wait for more releases...

L33

Aug 20, 2014
ZEN wins by miles. in TPA I get the feeling I am playing on a machine that hasn't been cleaned in years and has been (and is) standing in a poorly lit cafe, while on the ZEN one it's like playing on a new machine. Colors are a lot more vibrant. Sound FX timing is way better. And the possibility to choose between different physics...
I can't wait for more releases...

Id have to agree. Its wasn't as obvious until I started editing both videos. And I wasn't really a huge fan of The Getaway but now Zen have digitised it...it feels like a different game and one that Im enjoying. Hoping they do T2, STTNG and TofTAN. I really feel this is a great move by Zen and Williams etc. It'd be great to see Zen digitising Stern tables...but Im guessing that'd be a lot of extra work and id rather see decent quality recreations as we are now rather than rushed tables due to excess workload...but who knows :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Zen is way ahead of the game, but I do hope they'll continue to work on the lighting. Fish Tales seems more polished in that regard, so I hope they'll give the others the same treatment, and even take it to the next level.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Zen is way ahead of the game, but I do hope they'll continue to work on the lighting. Fish Tales seems more polished in that regard, so I hope they'll give the others the same treatment, and even take it to the next level.

I think the great thing is that they listen to their fans...obviously they aren't going to implement every suggestion given, but theres a lot of people out there with good experience of pin balling and i think that can really help create the ultimate digital pinball experience.

Looking forward to seeing whats next from Zen.

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
Regardless of how much better Zen looks with enhancements on and off it also wins hands down with gameplay and physics. When I put TPA now on it seems as if the table slope is too shallow and it needs cranking right up at the back. So for me a win all round on both gameplay and graphics.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It'd be great to see Zen digitising Stern tables...but Im guessing that'd be a lot of extra work and id rather see decent quality recreations as we are now rather than rushed tables due to excess workload...but who knows :)

In our interview with Mel Kirk on the BlahCade Pinball Podcast, he told us how they could have had the WMS license back in 2016 but passed due to all the licenses they already had needing to be made. That tells me they will not take on more than they can ever chew. He also said they hate 'crunch time' as that makes the job very unappealing. The solution? If need be they'll just hire more employees. So when it comes to Stern, if the opportunity arises, Zen will take it only if it makes sense to their work load. In any case, I suspect it'd be 2 years before this even becomes a possibility.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
In our interview with Mel Kirk on the BlahCade Pinball Podcast, he told us how they could have had the WMS license back in 2016 but passed due to all the licenses they already had needing to be made. That tells me they will not take on more than they can ever chew. He also said they hate 'crunch time' as that makes the job very unappealing. The solution? If need be they'll just hire more employees. So when it comes to Stern, if the opportunity arises, Zen will take it only if it makes sense to their work load. In any case, I suspect it'd be 2 years before this even becomes a possibility.

Yeah...they seem quite a professional bunch.

On a side note...had a quick game of MM on Pfx3 today and I don’t normally take note of leader board scores etc. But oddly enough...right next to me I saw the name Shutyertrap haha. I’m guessing there isn’t 2 Shutyertraps 😂. Small world.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Also better that they aren't tied into release dates months in advance so if a particular table isn't working the way they want they can delay it (internal to the company) until its been finessed, and no one else needs to know.

Same thing happened to me on Fish Tales survival mode - I've managed to get a much better score on that than any of the other new challenges, and SYT is right up there as well, also in the top 20.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
yes, there's only one shutyertrap, thank you very much! Except on Twitter, which is why I then had to pluralize it (the bastards)

FunktionJCB

Oct 9, 2018
Thanks for the video comparison, L33. :)

I'm still torn on which version I prefer, in terms of how they play. With a few tweaks, I think the FX3 tables may surpass TPA.
FX3 indeed has a better overall presentation (it's too bad about the artwork censorship though), and unlike TPA, the tournament options are working on PC (I don't know if there ever was a working tournament on Steam, I never managed to successfully upload a single score).

Ideally, the guys at Fairsight will step up their game, and manage to license a few more brands and tables.
I'm willing to be spoiled by having two different companies (well 3, with Magic Pixel Kft. and their Zaccaria Pinball tables) releasing digital reproductions of lovely classic tables.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
I love them both. Really glad that Zen is getting into real-life tables. Even though I own all Zen tables made available for PS4 (Zen and PFX3), I'm not really into their "original" tables as much as I prefer re-creations of real-life tables. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm 50 years old and pinball was the "original" arcade game to me. But right now, I still give the crown to TPA, simply because of the sheer number of real-life tables TPA has in their app (lost licensing notwithstanding, since I own all of everything before they were delisted), but Zen is really stepping up "the game" by adding enhanced modes, better graphics and those physics are the closest I've seen to real pinball yet. Still, it's great to have such a wide variety of real-life tables that TPA offers, but Zen is real real up-and-comer on that front, judging by their first volume offering. The real winner here is us, the gamers.

I'm loving both and wish both of them the best and I will pony up the cash for anything either of them produce in the future, whether they be real life re-creations or originals, I'm there dude! I'm by no means any kind of champion pinballer, but I do love the silver ball. Keep them coming! WOOT!

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013

Agreed! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I've been banging on about this since the beta release and was hoping to see the FT lighting quality applied to the other three tables we now have.

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Having said that, honestly it's a pretty pointless comparison...

imo, there is no comparison.

Zen Williams is so far ahead it's not even close.

Members online

Members online