What Zen Original tables play the most like real pinball?

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
Getting into Pinball FX3 with the recent Williams release.. I've played a few of the older Zen tables when Pinball FX 1 first launched and thought they felt more like novelty tables than anything else, but I hear in the recent past they have produced tables that are more similar to actual pins... My question is: for newcomers of FX3 which Zen/Licensed Originals should we check out if we are mainly fans of real pinball tables (and their digitial reconstructions, of course) Would love to hear your suggestions.,.. the Steam Winter Sale is coming up in a couple months :)

thanks

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Palmer all the new tables on FX3 are really good , the Alien pack , the Jurassic pack , the Bethesda , the latest Star Wars packs. they are getting better all the time . yep the Steam sales are a great time to buy them . have fun :cool:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
the Steam Winter Sale is coming up in a couple months :)

Before that you have the Halloween Sale and the Autumn Sale aka Black Friday Sale.

Generally it's true: the more recent, the better. You might want to look at the following packs as recommendations:

Iron & Steel
Carnival & Legends
Jurassic World
Universal Pinball
Alien vs Pinball
Marvel: Women of Power
Star Wars: Balance of the Force

My recommendations contain a selection of everything: Original Designs, General movie licensed tables, Marvel tables and Star wars tables. I did not look, which of the tables are toy heavy or not, but more what I think should be fun for the gameplay and physics for a real pinball fan.

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
I recommend you download FX2 (its free) and trial the South Park table. Its one of their best but unfortunately wasn't able to make it over to FX3.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I concur, all the packs that have released since FX3 came out have more of a true pinball feel in both layout and physics. So...

Aliens pack
Carnival and Legends
Jurassic Park pack

Of the older tables, I've always said Wolverine could very easily be translated into a real machine. Star Wars tables can be hit or miss, but most of the movie tables play really well in comparison to the 'inspired by' tables. Avoid the very old pack with V12 and Tesla, as they will frustrate to no end coming at them with real pinball experience.

For sure buy during the Steam sales, as they'll get discounted anywhere from 50-75% off. Also, not that I've seen it in a good long while, sometimes these go on sale in a Humble Bundle offer that is a 'pay what you want' scenario. Jump on that if you see it as you'll never get them cheaper.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Good call on Wolverine. It’s probably the Zen table I’ve played the most back before TPA came out. They definitely seem to have been inspired by Medieval Madness as far as the layout goes.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Anyone remember the Rocky & Bulwinkle table back on the 360? It was the first Zen table I bought and I can’t recall what real pin design it was reminiscent of (a lot of Zen’s early stuff heavily borrowed from real layouts), but I really enjoyed it at the time. It was much more simplistic than their newer stuff. No extra table animations and such. I dunno how if it’s available anymore or how well it holds up if it is, but it was fun at the time.

Last edited:

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Anyone remember the Rocky & Bulwinkle table back on the 360? It was the first Zen table I bought and I can’t recall what real pin design it was reminiscent of (a lot of Zen’s early stuff heavily borrowed from real layouts), but I really enjoyed it at the time. It was much more simplistic than their newer stuff. No extra table animations and such. I dunno how if it’s available anymore or how well it holds up if it is, but it was fun at the time.

Yea, that table was fun. I liked Nightmare Mansion and Buccaneer too which were only released on the 360. Wish they would make a pack of all the tables that were only in Pinball FX1 (then FX2) on 360.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
After getting into some Williams tables, I decided to try some original Zen tables I somehow acquired on my switch. Somehow I got Adventureland and Son of Zeus (I think they were free at some point). Mostly because they were in the 3-minute score challenge versus mode (I forgot the name).

And Ive got to say...those 2 reminded me why I bounced of Zen in the past several times. Ramps ramps everywhere! In the past I had similar issues with Hulk and Avengers tables. What a stark difference from playing Getaway, MM and Fishtales with such varies layouts. What a difference some spot targets, saucers etc make. So those 2 don't instill a lot of confidence in me for later tables actually being closer to RL-pinball. Doesnt matter in a geberal sence. Couldnt be happier for the Williams implementations and interpretations. But for the scope of this here it did make me scratch my head

edit: this isnt a physics thing I think, cause as far as I'm aware, the physics in the singleplayer and challengemodes for Williams is the same as the 'zen original physics'. Althouhj those original tables do feel 'mushier'. Almost as if the walls of those tables dampen the power of the shots.

Last edited:

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012

Rocky & Bullwinkle was a clone of Williams Sorcercer with regards to the table layout. Fun table, but the sound was annoying.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Rocky & Bullwinkle was a clone of Williams Sorcercer with regards to the table layout. Fun table, but the sound was annoying.

That’s right! Thanks for that. It’s been so long since I’ve played it. I do recall the annoying sounds as well now that you mention it.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Adventureland and Son of Zeus are both good Zen tables. Personally I like Adventureland better; who doesn't like a good fairground! Packs a lot in - rollercoasters, balloons, fireworks, the sky eye, and more.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013

Just out of curiosity, did you read that somewhere or just put two and two together. I'd be interested if there was a list or interview or something where they mention which tables were inspired by real life ones.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just out of curiosity, did you read that somewhere or just put two and two together. I'd be interested if there was a list or interview or something where they mention which tables were inspired by real life ones.

There used to be a list on their forum years ago, but I couldn’t seem to find it last time I looked.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yea, couldn't find anything but I did stumble upon this. https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?4006-Official-Pinball-Table-Guides&highlight
Seems to be a good in depth guide on each table.

Right on.

Here’s an old list I found that covers some of the original launch tables and which real life pins they were inspired by:

http://dukecitypinball.blogspot.com/2012/01/pinball-fx2zen-pinball-table-breakdown.html

I think after the first Marvel pack, Zen started getting a lot more creative and original with their designs.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
OK I also found the list of their forum I was thinking of:

https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?2923-New-to-Pinball-or-FX-2-Start-Here!-FAQ

Scroll down to “Q. Are the Pinball FX tables based on actual pinball machines?”

Yes.

While there are no physical versions of Zen's tables, they're often based on designs from classic pinball machines:

Speed Machine = White Water (mirrored)
Xtreme = Black Knight 2000 (mirrored)
Agents = Star Trek: TNG (mirrored)
Buccaneer = The Addams Family
Rocky & Bullwinkle = Sorcerer
Nightmare Mansion ~ Genesis (lower playfield resembles Haunted House's cellar, inverted)
Excalibur ~ Excalibur (central ramp with ball diverter)

The newer tables for Pinball FX 2 are more original, though there are a few notable similarities:

Pasha incorporates elements from Funhouse.
Secrets of the Deep is similar to Grand Lizard.
Rome is reminiscent of Medieval Madness (with Theatre of Magic's spinning trunk).
Blade borrows heavily from South Park.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.