What Zen Original tables play the most like real pinball?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I bought a fair number of their original tables on the Wii U and find most of them forgettable. My faves were some of the Marvel ones. I think Blade was the one I kept coming back to the most; I remember enjoying Moon Knight as well, so I may buy that bundle again (since you can’t seem to buy individual machines on PS4). One thing that really annoys me about their menu system is that you can’t seem to hide the stuff you don’t own. I can see the marketing reason for this: tempt you to fill the gaps, but honestly I’d rather they had a nice MY TABLES column at least, which Farsight nicely provided in Pinball Arcade. I don’t need to flip through the whole catalogue to find the machines I actually want to play, thanks.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I’d rather they had a nice MY TABLES column at least, which Farsight nicely provided in Pinball Arcade. I don’t need to flip through the whole catalogue to find the machines I actually want to play, thanks.

You can favourite your tables, that will put them all in 1 column.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Ah the favourite column - it auto-populated it with tables I hadn’t played or purchased even, so I didn’t twig to it being that. With the star at the top, I thought maybe it was a “featured table” column or something. Awesome that’s there, but do I really need to buy more digital pinball on my PS4.....

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
Here are my votes for "most like real pinball" - this is not to say they are necessarily superior games (although I think they are all way above average), but they have a realistic feel, like they could be real tables. Everything is on a continuum with respect to "feel" of course, and I'm probably missing a few, this is from a quick look through the menu.

Son of Zeus
Jurassic Park
X-Men
Wolverine
Calrissian Chronicles
Aliens

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
I would classify the following tables beeing the most realistic ones:
- Sorcerers Lair
- Wolverine
- Son of Zeus
- Alien
and Jurrasic Park.

Would like to play them with the new physics.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
Adventureland and Son of Zeus are both good Zen tables. Personally I like Adventureland better; who doesn't like a good fairground! Packs a lot in - rollercoasters, balloons, fireworks, the sky eye, and more.

I noticed I had the carnivals and legends pack as dlc on steam (must have been free somewhere?) and tried both of those after seeing it recommended here by several people and.. Son of Zeus is okay, it was fun but also kind of boring? Not sure how to describe.. Adventureland just looked like too much going on so I only played it once, I'll have to go back to that.

I also checked out the DOOM and one of the Aliens table and those seemed more up my alley. Eagerly awaiting some Steam sales..

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
Son of Zeus has pretty easy to understand modes and lots of good shots, and in my opinion it just has a good "feel", kind of hard to quantify. Adventureland looks absolutely beautiful and flips well, but it's a little too "start and stop" for my tastes, with ramps blocked off except in certain modes, etc. and some hard-to-visualize shots and camera angles. Both are worth the price, though.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
A few of the older tables that come to mind that can, with minimal adjustment, be adapted to the new classic arcade (Williams) physics engine and which I think already have more of a real table layout and gameplay.

- Pasha
- Rome
- Biolab
- Earth Defense
- Excalibur
- Wolverine
- Blade

I am not that familiar with many of the newer tables, so won't venture to make recommendations there.

As a long time FX2 player, I only realise now with the release of the Williams tables and physics the full extent of how much more forgiving and slower Zen's original physics is. I'm finding it really hard now to enjoy their previous tables and and have played the game to death over the years (I have all of the FX2 tables and some of the FX3). Good times ahead with more Williams / Bally table releases planned and the prospect of new (and hopefully some of the old) Zen original tables with the new classic arcade physics.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Now that the ZEN sale is in full swing, have the old tables like Pasha or Rome been updated for FX3 or do they play the same?

Or what about the Mars table, I remember that in FX2 (PS3 version) it was pretty hard to make progress in the modes. You could keep the ball alive forever and after a while it felt like being in a ZEN state - but it had nothing to do with pinball anymore.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Mars has been updated for sure, with slightly different rules. The only reason that one stands out for me is because the mobile eSports version of it clearly has different progression. I believe Epic Quest also has a slight variation. I can tell you that old tables look better than they ever have, but I was never familiar enough with them to tell you if rule changes happened.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Now that the ZEN sale is in full swing, have the old tables like Pasha or Rome been updated for FX3 or do they play the same?

Or what about the Mars table, I remember that in FX2 (PS3 version) it was pretty hard to make progress in the modes. You could keep the ball alive forever and after a while it felt like being in a ZEN state - but it had nothing to do with pinball anymore.

Rome has a different scoring all together on the multiball mode. The ball speeds in FX3 on the same classic tables do seem slightly quicker than the versions of FX2 that I have, on the same tables. But this difference is very slight.

It is nice to have the FX3 upgrades, it adds a new twist to the oldies. All in all, I'd say they are a slight bit tougher, but I am glad they incorporated most of them into FX3. The classics never get old IMO.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
My fave, besides the removed south park tables, is the Avengers table (not the age of ultron one but the other one). Always thought it felt like it could have been based on a real pin. It's classic fan layout with center "bash target". It has a few strategic elements to it which I think are fun, so great pin for those that like to plan strategies based on rules, like if you like planning what modes and multiballs to stack and when to start them and so on. It starts out where you choose which avenger (ball) you want to use, and they all have different powers, like you can start modes faster with hulk or light inlane lights faster for kickback with hawkeye. Pretty much like choosing doctor in Dr Who or character in the new pirates otc by jersey jack. You can shoot the ball into a scoop and change avenger during play. I guess on a real pin during multiball it would be difficult to have the pin to keep track of the individual balls, but other than that this Avengers pin might as well have been the one Stern did.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I’m surprised no one has mentioned:
Aliens
Doom
SW Rebels
Women of Power

Even though they contain plenty of Zen effects, they’ve always felt pretty ‘real’ to me.

I’d love to see those getting the new physics treatment for sure!

I agree on Wolverine. Used to play that a lot on the 360 but for me, Blade was the standout table from the first Marvel pack.

tizerist

Apr 17, 2013
Rule adjustments in FX3?? so does this mean my high-scores in FX2 don't count anymore? I had been using my FX2 high-scores as the barometer of the score I need to beat.....

Members online

Members online