Zen Studios alters classic pinball art to protect family-friendly rating

karussellbremser

Aug 20, 2015
So, for now, and for Steam users only, the issue is off the table. Let's hope this will get quickly fixed for consoles, too.

However, I wonder what will happen when the censored version of a table erases a full game mode. I'm having CP and the card-playing mini game in mind. Are the scores of the two tables comparable? Are they compatible for multiplayer? Hopefully they can figure such stuff out without compromising the uncensored version.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Maybe they could release a physical edition for consoles that comes with uncensored tables. Then they don't have to change ratings since itll be a different game. Also it would be cool to have a physical edition eventually of some zen tables. I know there was a marvel one a while back but they should get the zen originals and Williams on disc too.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Couldnt they just offer an unlock code to unlock the uncensored versions for consoles on their website?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Couldnt they just offer an unlock code to unlock the uncensored versions for consoles on their website?

There's something about ESRB ratings on console that isn't the same with PC, and it might very well have to do with the actual consoles themselves and being listed in the store. Zen is still working on seeing if there is a solution for consoles, so we'll have to just wait and see what shakes out. If there was a shortcut, I'm sure they'd be exploring it.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
There's something about ESRB ratings on console that isn't the same with PC, and it might very well have to do with the actual consoles themselves and being listed in the store. Zen is still working on seeing if there is a solution for consoles, so we'll have to just wait and see what shakes out. If there was a shortcut, I'm sure they'd be exploring it.

Short version - it's the market. Console games are still carried at retail in places like Walmart and Target. Bigger market, bigger business, extra scrutiny from ESRB.

TimeWalker

Apr 27, 2018
2019 started, no news about family mode for console/Windows 10 players, oh well. It's the thing that holds me back from buying any future Williams volumes.

One thing that I did notice is that when you go to Options -> Legal Resources you can actually look at a list of amendments done to each Williams tables. I'm not sure when they've added this as I haven't seen that at Volume 1 release. Kudos to Zen for being transparent about that at least.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
2019 started, no news about family mode for console/Windows 10 players, oh well. It's the thing that holds me back from buying any future Williams volumes.

One thing that I did notice is that when you go to Options -> Legal Resources you can actually look at a list of amendments done to each Williams tables. I'm not sure when they've added this as I haven't seen that at Volume 1 release. Kudos to Zen for being transparent about that at least.

Well what do you want Zen to do, make an announcement that they have nothing to announce? Console stuff takes time for approval and such, and patches like this probably won’t happen until another pack drops due to cost. The good news is that the iOS beta is sans family mode, so there’s no reason to think Zen isn’t trying to make this happen on console still.

TimeWalker

Apr 27, 2018
Just pushing for awareness because at least the Steam version is now uncensored so I have hopes they could bring that over to consoles/W10. And I mean yeah, I actually wouldn't have minded that with the PC/Mobile announcement they would've just dropped a line that they're still looking into this for console/W10. No need to get that defensive.
Also I wanted to point out the list of amendments that exists in the legal resources part of the settings screen which I found pretty interesting to look at as I can't recall anybody mentioning this before.

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
I've been holding off on further PC table purchases until Zen gets back to the community on this (I still buy on PS4). I would like to switch my buying from Steam to Windows 10 as it is cross buy with Xbox and would futureproof me if I switch platforms next gen. If the uncensored tables aren't coming to Win10 then I will continue on Steam but I have started falling out of love with Steam of late.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
They have to respect the rules of the console makers themselves.

If Sony or MS is willing to allow the game uncensored, they will do it. it's that simple.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.