Zen Studios alters classic pinball art to protect family-friendly rating

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
"I don't want to minimize their importance, but I do believe it's a very vocal minority [complaining] because our sales for our first few days are through the roof, off the chart," he said." - Kirk

Can 100% believe its a vocal minority. It's hard for me to fathom some of the outlandish complaints about the missing or retouched artwork.

But also great to hear it sold well. Hopefully many more tables to come.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
I certainly understand the reason for the complaints but I also understand the problems that Zen is facing as well, I'm very happy to be playing the steam version which has the censorship turned off other than the few cover ups/changes on Fish Tales with it as a free table for everyone and some references to liquor/smoking/gambling on other tables. I am worried how tables like the two Elvira ones would look since the sexual innuendo is a big part of what makes Elvira.....well Elvira or tables like Gorgar with a bikini clad female on the playfield and BG. It does seem kind of funny seeing the same 3-5 people in the steam forums for the censorship post, think they are on page 32 atm with 400+ posts.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I guess I never realized that a girl in a bikini was so taboo nowadays. It's something that's been perfectly acceptable at every public beach since like the 60's.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
It was very disappointing to me personally but I bought the pack (3 times) anyway and I'm certainly not going to hound them about it.

I do hope some day there will be some sort of viable workaround. I'd gladly pay for an alternate uncensored Fish Tales as an individual table DLC with an updated EULA agreeing to the content, for example.

I just have to wonder if this isn't all a means to an end to keep Disney happy, though. Because even Nintendo has stopped being so uptight these days, and I have to cry foul on the claim that Zen was worried about FT and MM hurting their image when they have a Walking Dead table. Just saying.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
"Close, but no cigar."
Hah.

This whole thing is a story about directing your anger appropriately. Not at Zen, not at the ESRB, but towards the people and organisations that the ESRB is protecting us from.

Last edited:

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
The only thing I can see them doing is making a separate application from pinball fx3 with only the Williams' license and the T rating but would they bother for the "vocal minority" for it??

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
I'm beginning to wonder how much of this is related to the ESRB rating? And how much of this is related to Disney?

Disney is well known for being censorship happy and Zen has a partnership with them for the Marvel and Star Wars tables. Ticking them off could prevent future negotiations (such as Indiana Jones) from going through.

Last edited:

Brett Carlson

Sep 24, 2013
first off. I don't agree with censorship. They tricked me into buying this pack and it sounds like they will continue doing this and it stops for me.
I might be a minority but i will speak with my wallet if things don't get fixed. So the tables find a new home then get butchered.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Exactly. The changes are very small and unless you know what to look for hard to spot.
I still think they should not have been neccessary in this day and age but they certainly don't ruin the experience.

I think as far as tabacco and alcohol goes the changes were required to keep the rating but I can't imagine the mermaid would have had to be edited - or the blood on the MM sword... they probably changed more than they needed to to be extra safe.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
better to be safe than sorry !!! I curse and swear like a trooper but , this is a kids rated video game , and I don`t have a problem with any restrictions . just enjoy what a great game we have now. and for me my love for fantasy and real tables is in one place !!!:cool:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
If gambling themes are out that's gonna cut down on table selection--especially the older stuff--quite a bit, dang.

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
The outrage and boycotting notion proposed by some is a little much but without this vocal minority would we have got non-family mode versions on Steam? I am therefore thankful for their efforts.

Zen also need to understand that this may be wider than they seem initially aware. I bought the pack because I recognise their technical efforts; the product is good. However, I think the level of censorship is laughable and it really paints a negative light on this company. I just haven't harassed them in forums about it. Maybe I should be based on their comments?

Considering Zen planned the aquisition of the Williams licence and even stated that Fx3 was built from the beginning to house these tables I am disappointed in their foresight. This decision will impact future table choices and their comments about the editing of championship pub sounds gameplay affecting, which is distressing.

They have Aliens, Doom, The Walking Dead and Archer tables. Sorry, who is their audience?

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Exactly. The changes are very small and unless you know what to look for hard to spot.
I still think they should not have been neccessary in this day and age but they certainly don't ruin the experience.

I think as far as tabacco and alcohol goes the changes were required to keep the rating but I can't imagine the mermaid would have had to be edited - or the blood on the MM sword... they probably changed more than they needed to to be extra safe.

So, this pretty much snuffs out Champion's Pub. That saloon wasn't exactly famous for soda.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.