I blame Zen for making me sell a kidney. But boy it was worth it!

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
Photo%2014-10-2018%2C%2019%2017%2055.jpg

When Zen released the beta Williams tables a few weeks ago I was so blown away I have spent the last 2 weeks building another cab. Sadly I scrapped the last one as the new monitor was slightly too big doh!
Has it been worth it? Hell Yeah! Zen rocks. As an owner of almost all of TPA tables I can hand on heart say they have outdone themselves and I haven’t even bothered putting TPA back on this cab.
Best of all I now have something to look forward too on each new Volume release so all I can say is Bring em on Zen \0/

My build so far
Custom size cab built for 3 screen setup with 40in 4K monitor as main display
Cut down side rails to suit 6in shorter length of cab, powder coated legs and decal protectors.
Custom decals which I designed for my last project, so not ideal fit but looks ok for now.
I7 8700 water cooled cpu, Nvidia RTX 2080, 32gb Corsair vengeance 3000 ram
M2 250gb SDD x 3 which is all a little OTT but I can also justify for my VR rig
Installed PinballX as front end with FX2, FX3 plus some of the newer VpinballX tables
Last and very important IMO a kl32z controller for real kick ass nudging

Left to do
Custom 5mm glass to suit my cab dimensions. Now ready for collection yey
Fit door and add credit button on coin return push and illuminate along with main start and launch buttons

I am more than happy with the result and have already spent around 20hrs playing the new tables. Portrait mode really is the best way to experience PFX3 so If you haven’t tried it or in any doubt just swivel your monitor/tv into portrait and have a blast, but beware you also may have to sell a kidney lol

Nighthawk

Jun 18, 2018
Looks great. I love your custom decals. I like the color of the legs as well. Better tell Hellboy to holster that. He looks like he doesn't like pinball much.

Good idea of putting the CPU outside the cab. I have wished I had mine on the outside on several occasions.

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
Yeah my last cab everything was inside and boy that thing was like a pizza oven after only 30 mins and it had a 10in fan blowing out the back which was more like a garage fan heater lol

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Colywobbles , great work , I like the idea of the PC underneath , easy access and less heat inside the cab !!!!:cool:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Looks great! Very nice work.

I guess with that rig you're not planning on just using it for PFX3, so good plan to keep it outside the cab :cool:

Last edited:

Gabura

Jul 24, 2018
Nice build, like the powdercoated legs. Could you tell me the width of the cab/monitor (looking to upgrade to 40in 4K in the short future but not sure if it fits in a standard body). Also I could not find anything about the KL32Z is it a specific make?

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
Nice build, like the powdercoated legs. Could you tell me the width of the cab/monitor (looking to upgrade to 40in 4K in the short future but not sure if it fits in a standard body). Also I could not find anything about the KL32Z is it a specific make?

Sorry it’s KL25Z just google vpin nudging KL25Z

I had a 37 in my last cab but it was also a custom build so again slightly shorter in length. I chose a 40 for my new build as I physically measured the flippers and they were exactly the same size as the RL ones using my TZ, FH & JY as reference.
Obviously they are a little smaller on Zens FT but I can only assume they would match a RL one. BTW I used Zens View 2
I used this years series 4K Samsung 40in (I’ll post model if you need same but probs any 40 with slim bezel should do) it was more expensive than the majority of 43’s as that seems the standard size panel now and 40s are now few and far between.
My cab is the same width as a real one which in turn lets me use an original lockdown bar and the Samsung 40 has 1-2mm spare each side so perfect for an original cabinet.
On a side note a good friend of mine has used an old wide body cab (Popeye) and the 43 fits better in there and has 10mm room either side.
My Samsung does look awesome in both colour, contrast and resolution (using 4K) it also has zero lag in or out of game mode. Imo a perfect choice in every way.

Hope this helps. Col

Last edited:

Gabura

Jul 24, 2018
Sorry it’s KL25Z just google vpin nudging KL25Z

I had a 37 in my last cab but it was also a custom build so again slightly shorter in length. I chose a 40 for my new build as I physically measured the flippers and they were exactly the same size as the RL ones using my TZ, FH & JY as reference.
Obviously they are a little smaller on Zens FT but I can only assume they would match a RL one. BTW I used Zens View 2
I used this years series 4K Samsung 40in (I’ll post model if you need same but probs any 40 with slim bezel should do) it was more expensive than the majority of 43’s as that seems the standard size panel now and 40s are now few and far between.
My cab with is the same as a real one which in turn lets me use an original lockdown bar and the Samsung 40 has 1-2mm spare each side so perfect for an original cabinet.
On a side note a good friend of mine has used an old good friend of mine has a old wide body cab (Popeye) and the 43 fits better in there and has 10mm room either side.
My Samsung does look awesome in both colour, contrast and resolution (using 4K) it also has zero lag in or out of game mode. Imo a perfect choice in every way.

Hope this helps. Col

Thanks for the info, I have a standard body virtuapin cab but I reckon I could fit a small bezel 40" in there and still keep my arcade panel in. As it is full length. I only have a 32" IPS in there now. I'll have al look at the KL25Z

Last edited:

Cameron

Sep 3, 2012
I would be interested in the monitor model! Would be interested comparing it vs. the Asus 43" monitor that we just picked up.

Members online

Members online