BlahCade #152: Does Censoring Pinball Kill the Buzz?

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
I do mind. I really miss the day when one could make something like Blazing Saddles and everyone was fine with it.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Those were different times. The world has definitely gone to crap over the past 2 decades in my opinion. I was a child of the 80's and the world was a great place before cell phones and internet arrived.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I’m with you guys: changes to artwork I can live with, but missing game modes is a no. Audio stuff is going to cause me a problem when I have a Pinball Arcade version to compare it with as well.

I cannot understand why they didn’t do a separate app for these real machines if they were going to have these kinds of problems. Possibly they’d need to renegotiate their other licenses to do the licensed WMS machines?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I found this interesting, regarding the new Oktoberfest table, which is of course filled with beer references:

On the Adult Mode:

“I want to get some more adult humor into the game. We’re trying to keep it family-friendly, but the plan has always been to add a little bit more in there for adults – so if you don’t have kids around and you want a little more sexual innuendo or a little more whatever it might be…it’ll be mostly more in voice calls than otherwise. So there are some voice calls now on the list and it’s like “we can’t use that one yet”. So that is the goal and hopefully we’ll get there, hopefully we’ll come up with enough funny and good content to justify it and have it be worth while.”

So here you have an instance where the event of Oktoberfest is viewed as a family event, and the therefore no reason the table couldn't be considered the same. And rather than call it 'family mode', they'll have 'adult mode' for racier call-outs. So what would the ESRB think about that (and are pinball machines rated by the ESRB?) I think everybody can agree that advertising alcohol to kids is not a good thing, but we can also agree that the mere exposure to it is not harmful. Any sporting event on TV has ample amounts of commercials advertising beer, yet the Super Bowl is considered one of the most family oriented sporting events to watch at home.

Any wonder why all this causes confusion for what can and cannot be in a 'family friendly' video game?

I also wanted to point this out in regards to Disney and their aversion to cleavage. When Pixar was just starting out and making short films, they had one called 'Knick-Knack' which featured a snowman in a snow globe trying to visit the mermaid in the globe next to him. She was drawn with ample bosom and was clearly an adult woman. After Disney bought Pixar, they made some adjustments for their own video release of it. Now the snowman seems to be desperately trying to get with a pre-teen girl. Yet again where the correction makes things not just worse, but creepy.

14052004_knickknack2.jpg

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
ESRB does not cover pinball machines unless it's sold as boxed or online software. It's also not mandatory. It's a self regulating body created by and for the video game industry, and that doesn't even touch arcade games until they are done on a PC/Console/Mobile device.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I'd prefer that the tables weren't censored, of course, but the important thing is that the tables are fun to play. They are.

Maybe Zen should just offer them in a separate higher rated game as an option and everybody is happy.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Oh my god, I didn’t realise they did that to Knick Knack. Have to check if I bought it on iTunes and if so whether it’s been altered...I’m in UK so maybe not? What control freakery!

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Hey guys. I just wanted to drop by and say that you freakin nailed it for me. Well, besides the title of the podcast. Which I’m ok with as long as they don’t alter too much. The thing that really spoke to me was when you said there’s those people out there that haven’t quite made the switch to Zen. I really hate to say it like that. Let’s just say, haven’t tried zen out fully. Well I’m one of those people that absolutely loves zen’s recreations of the Williams classics. You guys hit the nail on the head about the UI too. It’s like going from nails on a chalkboard to a nice ocean breeze. But lastly, thanks. And I hope you keep goin as long as you can because every once in a while you hit the nail on the head. And by that I mean every time. Keep it up guys.

P.S. I’m not sure why I said nails so many times

Just one more thing and I’ll be done. I promise. It’s just what you said about Zen making way more money than was expected with this Williams pack. I’m so glad they are seeing the market out there for it. It’s funny how you get a good product, and you get money for it. Turns out there are people willing to buy it/rebuy it. It’s a good product. So that explains itself there. Sorry to write a thesis paper. My main point is, I’m ok with Zen. I still like my ‘Detroit Lions’ ...’Farsight’

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Get that man a hammer!

Happy that we were able to express what you yourself were feeling. More info coming soon, as I'm conducting an interview with Mel tomorrow for release in 2 weeks.

Members online

Members online