Junkyard: what to aim for

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Ok so Im having a little trouble getting into JY. Mostly because I dont really see what to go for. I love tables like Totan, Mm, STTNG, taxi, ToM MB, even RBION (although thats a bit more obtuse) where its clear what I need to do and the callouts are precise and direct.

With MM it's the castle and the plethora of madness-modes to reach battle for the kingdom. I start with castlehits untill that becomes risjy, then I try to stack madness modes and play those, partly to hit the gate safely. I got a gameplan...

Fishtales its the catchersclub/multiball and building up to feeding frenzy (at least thise are my midterm goals...not quite sure I figured out longterm/wizardmode.

The Getaway...well I havent played it as much yet but it kinda looks more straightforward from the getgo.

With JY I get that hitting the wrecking ball enables multiball, and collecting junk...well somehow is usefull. No clue why and Im.not sure what decides what junk I get when. The table seems a bit random. Do I just go for multiball? What should I aim for mid to longterm? Do the angel/devil characters on the dmd play into it somehow?

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The main aim in Junk Yard is to collect all the pieces of Junk (various ways to do this - complete DOG Video mode levels, from Magic Bus awards, skill shots, and from the ramp or toilet when "Collect Junk" is lit). Collecting certain combinations of Junk lights up each of the five* modes at the right scoop. Play the four non-Time Machine modes to collect fireworks, and light Outer Space.

In Outer Space, just keep making lit shots until the mode ends one way or another. It's worth more points if you beat Bob, but it's still worth a lot of points either way.

After Outer Space... the four non-Time Machine modes need to be played again, to collect fireworks, and light Outer Space. Rinse and repeat. It gets boring quickly.

The multi-balls are just for show, annoying, and low-scoring. Avoid. Outer Space is where the points are at.

* Time Machine mode can only be played once, after collecting the Cuckoo Clock, and is a random mode from an old WMS game (Mamushka from TAF, Move Your Car from CftBL, AFM Video Mode, plus "Knight Quest" which I just never understood and is original to JY).

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
For what it's worth, if you do own JY in TPA, load it up just for the instructions. One thing that TPA definitely does better than FX3 is the level of detail in the instructions.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Ah good point. The combining junk part I saw but had bo clue it staryed a mode at the right scoop. Thanks for the tip.

Also re: tpa I think I bought that when I scooped up some seasons before the licence expired. The instructions were pretty good. I should also look at some PAPA tutorials I guess for JY FT and HS2. Bowens vids are pretty entertaining and helps me as well to visualize a strat more..

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
When plunging, use the left flipper to make sure that the hair dryer isn't lit. If you get a Choose Junk, don't select the dryer.

Getting the dryer makes video mode harder and wastes toast that can be traded for more valuable fireworks during adventure modes by hitting the toaster gun target.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
When plunging, use the left flipper to make sure that the hair dryer isn't lit. If you get a Choose Junk, don't select the dryer.

Getting the dryer makes video mode harder and wastes toast that can be traded for more valuable fireworks during adventure modes by hitting the toaster gun target.

You need to get the dryer, and eventually it will be the last piece of junk left...

I always felt it was a major flaw in the design of the rules, that after going to Outer Space, you didn't have to collect all the junk again. I know it gets more and more difficult to collect junk (but resetting the junk would flip video mode back to the easier version... making it slightly easier to collect junk...), but the whole cycle-through-the-modes-go-to-Outer Space thing (especially in TPA) gets very uninteresting after about the third or fourth time you battle Bob.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
You need to get the dryer, and eventually it will be the last piece of junk left...

Well yeah. But the first time around it helps to save it for last when possible.

I always felt it was a major flaw in the design of the rules, that after going to Outer Space, you didn't have to collect all the junk again. I know it gets more and more difficult to collect junk (but resetting the junk would flip video mode back to the easier version... making it slightly easier to collect junk...), but the whole cycle-through-the-modes-go-to-Outer Space thing (especially in TPA) gets very uninteresting after about the third or fourth time you battle Bob.

True, junk should reset. But in fairness, the same could be said for, say, cycling through TOTAN or other pins multiple times per game. JY at least has two layers (junk and modes) the first time through.

(I still enjoy TOTAN way more than JY.)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
ToTAN has more modes, more interesting modes, better call-outs, better music, looks better and is... well... just overall better than JY. I also played way more ToTAN for real than JY, so there may be a teensy bit of bias there.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
ToTAN has more modes, more interesting modes, better call-outs, better music, looks better and is... well... just overall better than JY. I also played way more ToTAN for real than JY, so there may be a teensy bit of bias there.

It is better than the TPA version, even though I was still able to easily catch Crazy Bob twice in one game. The same could be said for The Getaway's Redline Mania. Although I've noticed in the Zen version, from the third time on (RL Mania), extra balls are no longer lit (TPA seems to be infinite with this). Don't know if the IRL version is like this too. I almost had a billion on the PFX version. Just a couple months ago, I had a 5B+ Getaway game. I don't think I'll do this anytime soon with the FX version of this.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Extra Ball behavior is ROM setting dependent.

ZEN always sets max extra balls per ball in play to stop people going infinite.

Farsight does not always do this, because they are dumb. :)

(in all seriousness, if anyone is able to effectively infinite from extra balls in testing, that should have the kibosh put on it)

i would be able to infinite zen's fish tales if they didn't set that setting in powerups mode.

Teamski

Jun 19, 2016
I made it up to 11th place on JY in Deep Engine mode. I really dig this table a LOT more than Fish Tales. It seems funny to me that a lot of other people don't like it.

-Ski

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I played the real table first time yesterday. It's indeed pretty good once you know what your doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.