Hallo from South Africa

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
Living in South Africa pinball machines are few and far in-between. I have never lived in a big city where you might find more so have only seen a handful in my life. I maybe played about 5 games so far and I can't even remember the tables. My pinballing has thus always been digital. I started on PC in the early 90s with Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies (Stones 'N Bones was my favourite). I also played a heck of a lot of Psycho pinball and then I loved Pro Pinball but mostly Fantastic Journey.

I played a little bit of Pinball FX on the Xbox 360 but it didn't click for me. When Pinball FX2 came out, for about two years thereafter, that was about all I played and I invested a lot of time and effort into the game and forums etc. Those first four tables (especially Pasha and Biolab) along with other early ones such as Fantastic Four, Blade and Wolverine are still some of my favourites. I cut my teeth on probably one of the most difficult FX2 tables, Rome, because I liked the theme. I only found out later that it is actually a difficult table but by then it played in my favour as I had to learn how to play properly to get anywhere on that table. After about 2012, my amount of playing and involvement scaled down a lot as I became a bit disillusioned with the themes (Star Wars and Marvell) and then also with the tables become spam fests and basically too easy with games lasting forever. Since end of last years I played about nothing because I only have an Xbox 360 and a Mac and I thought (mistakenly on the Mac) that I won't be able to play the new tables until I get a new console or PC.

I never got into Pinball Arcade as it never felt for me like you are playing with a ball but rather with a floating disk. Somehow that just put me off completely and even though I gave it a shot every now and then, it just never stuck because of that.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I found out at the same time that Zen is going to release realistic Williams tables and that it is actually available on Zen Pinball 2 on the Mac. Within a couple of hours I became super excited and since then I have been spending a lot of time again with the game and am really enjoying it. I love the new physics, especially classic single player physics but also Zen's slightly adapted original physics and am already struggling to go back to any of their older tables as the physics feels all wrong now. I hope all the new tables (and then also some selected older tables) will come out with the updated Zen physics and with the classic single player physics. The thing I enjoy most with the Williams tables and the new physics is that even an excellent game won't last forever. I don't have the time anymore to spend hours on one game.

Anyway, once I'm in a position in hopefully a couple of months, I'm going to look at purchasing / putting together a Pinball Cab as I'm inspired to do so now with the new Williams tables and physics.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Hello back to South Africa - an amazing country. Been there in March with my wife, we had a fantasic vacation there. Welcome to the forums.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
Hello back to South Africa - an amazing country. Been there in March with my wife, we had a fantasic vacation there. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks... where did your travels take you? I'm on the south-west coast.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
We did a trip starting from Cape Town to Franshoek, Oudtshoorn, Knysna, Addo Elephant Park and finally at Amakhala Game Reserve. It was truly amazing to visit this country and see the different places, wild animals, beautiful landscape, and meeting wonderful people.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
We did a trip starting from Cape Town to Franshoek, Oudtshoorn, Knysna, Addo Elephant Park and finally at Amakhala Game Reserve. It was truly amazing to visit this country and see the different places, wild animals, beautiful landscape, and meeting wonderful people.

Excellent! I'm a Conservation Biologist and used to work in Addo National Park (not the main camp) so it is still one of my favorite parts of the country. That drive from Franschoek to Oudtshoorn (Route 62) is also one of my favourites with dramatic rock formations and beautiful vistas. Next time you come that way, aim for Plettenberg Bay just past Knysna, probably the most beautiful place in South Africa ;). On the other hand, the country is huge with many stunning and diverse areas so maybe think of Kruger National Park, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park or Hluhluwe–Imfolozi Park. All three in very different parts of the country that will provide you with vastly different experiences from each other and from what you have already experienced.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
We have seen Plettenberg Bay, as we were driving around with a rented car, really wonderful.

Is the water situation still bad in the Western Cape?

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
We have seen Plettenberg Bay, as we were driving around with a rented car, really wonderful.

Is the water situation still bad in the Western Cape?

For now, but unfortunately RSA is a water scarce country, so they will have to plan ahead and hope that the strategies employed will be able to avert bigger future threats.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.