Pinball FX3 & other Pinball sales

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
The first? See, you are exactly the customer Zen doesn't quite realize they have just sitting in waiting. If they added the new WMS physics to their originals, I imagine there'd be a huge spike in table sales, all 70+ of them.
Can they? Aren't the tables more like fantasy pinball and not as adaptable to realistic physics?

That said, I can't get into their original tables. More cartoon than pinball.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Can they? Aren't the tables more like fantasy pinball and not as adaptable to realistic physics?

That said, I can't get into their original tables. More cartoon than pinball.

Just because there are fantasy elements on a table doesn't mean the flipper and rubber physics can't be realistic. The ball spin and friction with the surface can also be integrated despite fantasy elements. More to the point, Zen was able to place fantasy elements on the Williams tables without ruining anything.

I keep bringing up the Aliens table, or even Alien: Isolation as tables that could be replicated in the real world, just without the character animations. The Wolverine table is another example, where most of the components on the table are based on real mechanics. But then even tables with virtual ramps, like Infinity Gauntlet or Portal, it doesn't matter in a digital creation if it's supposed to look like it's an invisible ramp, it simply acts as a real one.

There are some tables, like Earth Defense, where the physics of a ball traveling all the wire trails probably couldn't happen if real physics were in place, but you just pretend there's accelerator magnets (like in The Getaway's supercharger) that are moving the ball along and call it a day. And similar to how some of the shots in Williams don't quite work as designed with the easier Zen physics, the opposite could be true with real physics making certain shots no longer work with Zen originals. That's where tweaking would need to take place. I can tell you this, Deep really wants to do this. He even said the next Zen originals are being designed with the dual physics model that all the Williams tables are currently getting. Zen just needs to see that there is monetary justification in going back and spending man hours adding the WMS physics to older Zen tables, as they have no intention of making us have to re-purchase such an upgrade. They had a large influx of downloads of the FX3 platform with the introduction of the Williams tables, which translates to a large audience who has yet to purchase the last 8 years of tables. It's practically free money other than the new development cost.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
The first? See, you are exactly the customer Zen doesn't quite realize they have just sitting in waiting. If they added the new WMS physics to their originals, I imagine there'd be a huge spike in table sales, all 70+ of them.

On the contrary, I think Zen are more than aware of the numbers involved in potential sales on those tables, should they invest the time applying the new physics model to them. From what I can gather, applying the new model to the old tables would be a very large undertaking for Zen at a time when I expect they want to maximize their efforts on the WMS license, along with other potential licenses.

I think it's likely that Zen have figured that the return on investment just isn't worth it.

It's a shame because I am one of those customers you're speaking of, and would definitely purchase the older tables if they were updated with new physics.

Unfortunately, no matter how much the price comes down on the older dlc, I won't be buying them without a physics update. But the thing is though, I'm happy with that. :)

I'm happy with the direction Zen are currently going and I would prefer they stay focused on the WMS license and any new tables that incorporate the new physics engine, than investing huge amounts of time and resources updating old tables that were never designed to incorporate the new physics engine in the first place.

And I would much rather look forward to what Zen have lined up for us in the future, than worry about what I might have had in the past.

Bring it on Zen! :cool:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
They have the quick play and news sections that act as subtle adverts, maybe part of it (could be something they have already done) is working out which tables someone who has only bought the Williams tables is most likely to enjoy and try and get them to buy a pack or two of those. After someone has got over that hurdle and bought a table or two that they like, its a slippery slope to buying all of them over time.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Whatever the case, it's gonna take time. Even putting the new flipper physics into the prior 10 WMS tables is gonna take time (but hopefully will be ready by Vol 5 update). In all honesty, I think they'll wait until that next Zen original drops and gauge the response of sales on that. If they see that Williams only customers bought it, then the proof of concept is a winner and going back to do case by case conversions of older tables will make sense. If the sales are no different from when the WMS crowd wasn't around, then it'll make no financial sense other than making it the new normal for all future builds going forward.

Hey [MENTION=7660]deep[/MENTION], how 'bout trying out those Williams physics on Sorcerer's Lair in the next beta build? Even if it's not perfect, I'd love to feel the difference.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Hey [MENTION=7660]deep[/MENTION], how 'bout trying out those Williams physics on Sorcerer's Lair in the next beta build? Even if it's not perfect, I'd love to feel the difference.

That is a great idea to get some feedback from it even if in the short term they don't intend to release the new physics on Sorcerer's Lair. Another piece in the puzzle anyway.

deep

Apr 16, 2019
Sorry, it's not up to me. Although I tried the WMS physics on the BTTF table and it plays pretty good. I will try to convince the decider guys to make it happen.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Sorry, it's not up to me. Although I tried the WMS physics on the BTTF table and it plays pretty good. I will try to convince the decider guys to make it happen.

Oh man, the fact you already tried it out fills me with joy (and envy). Thanks for the reply!

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013

Deep, thanks for all your efforts. It's very much appreciated.

As we all know, the physics is one thing but adjusting the gameplay on each table to account for the new play style is a whole other can of worms! :eek:

twopossums

Apr 14, 2019
Title says 'and other sales' so I'll post this hear. Pinball Arcade just started a sale on Stern Pack 2 for 50% off ($9.99)

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Quite a lot of Pinball FX3 tables on sale this week on UK Microsoft store (Xbox) - just got original Marvel pack for £2.39 (75% off)

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
PSN NA deals until 22. All Marvel tables are 50% off, first original pack at 75%. Also Williams vol 1 and 2 at 50%, ans Balls of Glory pack also at 50%.

I grabbed all Marvel plus pack 1 of Williams! , really need these much better visual of PS4 version!

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Just spotted an unusually deep discount on TPA Stern pack 1 (5 tables now, doesn't include ACDC). Base price was halved when ACDC was removed, and there is an additional 50% off so its only £3.59 (until 17th August).

Also Stern pack 2 has had its base price changed to 50% of what it was, so now the previous sale price is the permanent price.

Stern pack 3 price unchanged since release.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Steam controller 90% off (+postage), limited stock available.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/

I've had one for nearly 2 years; happen to be waiting on the second replacement - hectic multiballs can be hard on any controller after a few months. Bought another 2 as spares, costs same for a full controller as it does to 3D print the part that broke (Steam have published how to print some of the parts).

Members online

Members online