Fighting Games

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I’m hoping my wife gets me a Switch for Christmas. Have any of you guys tried any fighting games on it, and if so how are the handheld controls?

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
In handheld mode? Borderline passable, but it sucks. I can really only stand playing fighters on Switch in docked mode.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
No dpad is a real bummer. Think this would do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-D-Pad-Controller-Zelda-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01AJRN4CE/

I’m mainly getting it for handheld mode because I need some new mobile games (Zelda probably to start with, maybe something like Octopath or VC4). If I can play some fighting games on it too, that’d be the cherry on top. I see the SF 30th can be had for a reasonable price and also KoF and all the classic SNK neogeo stuff is available in the eShop too. Pretty cool options to have on the go if the controls are decent enough.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017

At the very least it has to be an upgrade over the default. Looks good, should work. I might get one myself. Preferably non-Zelda if possible. Honestly with as much attention as I pay to controllers, aftermarket replacement Joy-Cons are something I never thought to look into, so thanks for showing me that.

The nice thing is that there are tons of options in docked mode with adapters, or just the Switch pro or aftermarket controllers.

I’m mainly getting it for handheld mode because I need some new mobile games (Zelda probably to start with, maybe something like Octopath or VC4).

Prepare to be underwhelmed by Octopath (it’s not terrible but it has a bare skeleton of a plot). Switch doesn't have a great jrpg selection yet. I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear are mediocre too. Can't go wrong with VC though, and I'd recommend The World Ends with You: Final Remix.

If I can play some fighting games on it too, that’d be the cherry on top.

Amen. Switch has a surprisingly good selection with more coming. Better than virtually any past Nintendo system. Honestly the SNES and GB series were the only other times Nintendo wasn't a fighting game wasteland.

I see the SF 30th can be had for a reasonable price and also KoF and all the classic SNK neogeo stuff is available in the eShop too. Pretty cool options to have on the go if the controls are decent enough.

Yeah, Hamster's ACA Neo Geo (and their normal Arcade Archives series) is a treasure trove of great stuff, fighting and otherwise. There's also the Johnny Turbo's Arcade series for Data East games. And Sega Ages but that's just getting started on Switch, only a few games so far. Then you have compilations like Namco Museum Arcade Pac, SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, Atari Flashback Classics (next month) and Sega Genesis Classics Collection (next month). Seems silly in a way I suppose being that we already can and do just emulate that stuff on anything with more processing power than a potato, yet I still enjoy having "legit" copies of classics too.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
At the very least it has to be an upgrade over the default. Looks good, should work. I might get one myself. Preferably non-Zelda if possible. Honestly with as much attention as I pay to controllers, aftermarket replacement Joy-Cons are something I never thought to look into, so thanks for showing me that.

You’re welcome. From what I’ve read, the dpad is similar to what’s on the Hori Fighting Commander, which is good news because I love that dpad.

The nice thing is that there are tons of options in docked mode with adapters, or just the Switch pro or aftermarket controllers.

I may pick one of these up eventually if I do end up playing in docked mode more:
http://stores.horiusa.com/horipad-for-nintendo-switch/

This is always an option as well heh:
http://stores.horiusa.com/real-arcade-pro-v-hayabusa-for-nintendo-switch/

Prepare to be underwhelmed by Octopath (it’s not terrible but it has a bare skeleton of a plot). Switch doesn't have a great jrpg selection yet. I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear are mediocre too. Can't go wrong with VC though, and I'd recommend The World Ends with You: Final Remix.

Thanks for the heads up and recommendation. I’m looking for games that I can sink a lot of hours into so I’ll check it out.

Amen. Switch has a surprisingly good selection with more coming. Better than virtually any past Nintendo system. Honestly the SNES and GB series were the only other times Nintendo wasn't a fighting game wasteland.

Yeah, Hamster's ACA Neo Geo (and their normal Arcade Archives series) is a treasure trove of great stuff, fighting and otherwise. There's also the Johnny Turbo's Arcade series for Data East games. And Sega Ages but that's just getting started on Switch, only a few games so far. Then you have compilations like Namco Museum Arcade Pac, SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, Atari Flashback Classics (next month) and Sega Genesis Classics Collection (next month). Seems silly in a way I suppose being that we already can and do just emulate that stuff on anything with more processing power than a potato, yet I still enjoy having "legit" copies of classics too.

Right on. After watching some videos, the only other thing that worries me about playing the classics in handheld mode is the aspect ratios. I might be squinting too hard to see what’s going on. It’s too bad they didn’t add widescreen mods in 30th Anniversary. Sounds like you can run them in 16:9, but it just stretches them, eh? In that regard, something like USF2, BlazBlue, or DBFZ would probabaly be better for on the go.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
You’re welcome. From what I’ve read, the dpad is similar to what’s on the Hori Fighting Commander, which is good news because I love that dpad.

Oh, cool. Agreed, that's a good one.

Yeah man, now we're talking.

Thanks for the heads up and recommendation. I’m looking for games that I can sink a lot of hours into so I’ll check it out.

No problem. Not sure how you feel about srpgs, but Switch has Disgaea 1 and 5. Disgaea games are definitely huge timesinks.

Right on. After watching some videos, the only other thing that worries me about playing the classics in handheld mode is the aspect ratios. I might be squinting too hard to see what’s going on. It’s too bad they didn’t add widescreen mods in 30th Anniversary. Sounds like you can run them in 16:9, but it just stretches them, eh? In that regard, something like USF2, BlazBlue, or DBFZ would probabaly be better for on the go.

Yeah, you either get a small screen with borders or stretched out 16:9 with SF 30th.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
No dpad is a real bummer. Think this would do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-D-Pad-Controller-Zelda-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01AJRN4CE/

I’m mainly getting it for handheld mode because I need some new mobile games (Zelda probably to start with, maybe something like Octopath or VC4). If I can play some fighting games on it too, that’d be the cherry on top. I see the SF 30th can be had for a reasonable price and also KoF and all the classic SNK neogeo stuff is available in the eShop too. Pretty cool options to have on the go if the controls are decent enough.

Did you ever end up getting one of the d-pad joycons? I’m seriosuly considering nabbing one soon, especially now that the SNES rumors appear to be true.

Kind of kicking myself for not picking up SF 30th when it was on sale over the holidays, but I’m sure it’ll get even cheaper eventually.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah I picked up a blue Japanese one. The d-pad is decent. It's not the best Switch control option, but it is the best option purely for playing in handheld mode, so it's worth having for sure.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Right on. One other thing I was a bit worried about was finding a silicone cover that would fit since I really like the extra grip, but most of the standard covers wouldn’t work as they fit right around the buttons, so I’m glad Hori makes their own version, although a bit pricier:

https://www.amazon.com/Joy-Special-Cover-Nintendo-Switch-3075113011/dp/B01N3559HY

Now if only we could use the d-pad in smash...

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I love when video games are brutally honest with me:

vNvlToJ.jpg

lio

Jul 24, 2013
...only winners and losers here...
Garou is a game I keep coming back to, as well.
I'm not good at it or anything but was quite fond of it all those years ago when I discovered it through NeoGeo emulation. Now obviosly it's available on pretty much every platform.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The only two modern fighting games you need right now are Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 and Blazblue Central Fiction. We had this conversation before. ;)

Picked up Central Fiction now that it's on Switch. Really enjoying it so far. The Grim of the Abyss mode is one of the best single player experiences I've seen in a fighting game too.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Been working on my Jaguar Bomb combo:

Making a lot of progress lately after not playing for a few months.

Members online

Members online