Fighting Games

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
So we've had a ton of discussion about fighting games in the MAME thread, but I figured a dedicated thread would be cool, especially for modern stuff (but also feel free to talk about anything fighting game related, new or old).

What modern fighting games do you guys play?

I recently bought Street Fighter V on sale for $10 and it's much better than I thought it would be based on the Steam reviews (rocky release, but seems to have improved significantly with the Arcade mode addition and other updates).

I'm looking for something else to switch it up a bit though. Anyone play Tekken 7? Tekken 5 DR was the last I had, and been playing it again lately on the PSP emulator, and would love to play a version with more eye candy and better looking hit effects.

Also considering SoulCalibr VI, but honestly I'm pretty content with SoulCalibur II for now.

Additionally, I downloaded the free version of Dead or Alive 5 on Steam and forgot how fun that series is. Hadn't played since DOA 4 on Xbox 360 which I actually played quite a bit, and 5 is also a really fun game. I even got my wife to play some tag battles with me, and once she got over the boobs, she really enjoyed it. I see 6 is coming in just a couple months.

Last edited:

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
The only two modern fighting games you need right now are Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 and Blazblue Central Fiction. We had this conversation before. ;)

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Not really a fighting game in the traditional sense but the fighting/combo system in Batman Arkham Asylum and especially Arkham City is top notch. The combat challenges are really fun. Just as with fighting games, you can work your way through it just mashing buttons, but when you realize the full potential of the combo system it opens up even more.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
I'm a big fighting game fan and have bought pretty much everything that has came out.

Recent games I've been playing (all on PS4):
Omen of Sorrow - Just came out on Tuesday. This game feels like a 3D take on Dark Stalkers. It's a little cluncky, but the newly formed European company is releasing daily updates for it.
Soul Calibur 6 - The game is a reboot and pretty much rewrites the entire story. The engine is very similar to SV2 and there are two really deep story modes. Very recommended!
Tekken 7 - It's another fun Tekken game, but be careful. There are two season passes and a couple major characters are lock behind them.
SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy - Silly and a bit unique in the tag team department. I recommend checking it out, since it feels like King Of Fighters meets Dead Or Alive.

Games I keep on returning to:
Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition (Xbox One) - I like the reboot, but the HD upgrade of the arcade classics that's including in the release is what I keep on coming back to.
Street Fighter 5 (PS4) - I've bought the game at launch and yes, it has come along way. There is so much single player content available now.
King of Fighters 14 (PS4) - Fully in 3D, huge character roster, and silky smooth game play. A must for KOF fans.
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (PS4) - This is the game I keep on going back to. I love the new style and the action movie like sequences in some of the stages are really fun to execute.

Edit: Although not a real fighting game, I really need to give the Yakuza series a shout out. It's a very indepth action/adventure/beat'em up game with combat similarly seen in fighting games.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Isnt the new Dragonball Z Fighterz considered the hottest thing going right now? Ive heard nothing but great things from all players across all fighting communities that are generally more walled off for 'their' game.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
KOFXIV and T7 would be my picks for current gen fighters.

The ASW games (DBFZ, BBCF, GGXR2) are decent. SFV has improved, though it's still nowhere near UIV. But it's passable now. SNK Heroines was a major letdown both for roster and gameplay, nothing but a fanservice game they phoned-in, it's sad. And it's not even very good at fanservice. It's amazing that almost 20 years ago they put more effort into SNK Gals' Fighters on the Neo Geo Pocket Color. MK/Injustice and DOA aren't for me. KI is fun as always.

Maybe try Blade Strangers or Fighting EX Layer if they go on sale. Neither ended up being anything great, but there's fun to be had with them.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the input, fellas. It's very helpful, so keep it coming.

I'm leaning towards scooping up Tekken 7, but I might try to hold out for a winter sale if I can wait that long. I probably should've just bought it last week on sale, but it'll probably get even cheaper.

One game I forgot to mention (and I'm not surprised that everyone else did as well) is Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite. Now I know it had a terrible launch and that Capcom has already essentially moved on, but yet I hear people like Maximilian say that it's one of the most enjoyable games out there right now and there are pros who feel the same. It is a bit tempting since it can be had for less than 10 bucks. It's hard to go wrong for that price, which is how I felt about SF V as well and it's definitely worth that much. That's less than we pay for a good lunch these days, heh.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Skullgirls is one I forgot. It's definitely worth the $10 the vanilla version currently costs.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
SFV has improved, though it's still nowhere near UIV. But it's passable now.

What are the main differences between UIV and V? The negatives about 5 I’ve heard revolve around the season passes and DLC, but I haven’t heard too much about what separates them gameplay-wise which is what I’m more curious about. I played IV a tiny bit when it first came out on 360, but never got to play UIV. But if it’s truly that much better when it comes to gameplay, I should probably switch to it and not waste time playing the inferior version.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Watching this inspired me to pull drop the coin on Tekken 7:

Got a great deal on it ($25 for the deluxe version) and loving it so far.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I’m very out of the loop on fighting games. Last fighting game I was into was Mortal Combat 2 or 3. That was ages ago. Have fighting games changed that much? Is it the same kind if fighting games with much better graphics, or is there a lot more going on in these things nowadays?
What the best modern fighter? I’d like to check out some YouTube action and see what I’m missing.
Watching the vid above, I’m very impressed with the interective arenas. Those announcers are hilarious.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
There is a lot more eye candy and bells & whistles, but the core mechanics are still the same, which is a good thing.

Since you mentioned Mortal Kombat, check out some cool moments from the latest version, it’s pretty fun:

Last edited:

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I’m very out of the loop on fighting games. Last fighting game I was into was Mortal Combat 2 or 3. That was ages ago. Have fighting games changed that much?

I keep telling myself they've gotten more complicated and technical, but my 8-year old keeps whipping me down in these games. I think they're better at allowing you to do cool things easier than in the 90s, but with deep systems that take a long time to master.

But it shows how much of a button mashing casual I am that Smash Bros Ultimate is my must have fighting game of the year. ;) I am tempted to get Soulcalibur VI though.

One game I forgot to mention (and I'm not surprised that everyone else did as well) is Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite. Now I know it had a terrible launch and that Capcom has already essentially moved on, but yet I hear people like Maximilian say that it's one of the most enjoyable games out there right now and there are pros who feel the same. It is a bit tempting since it can be had for less than 10 bucks. It's hard to go wrong for that price, which is how I felt about SF V as well and it's definitely worth that much. That's less than we pay for a good lunch these days, heh.

I got it on sale and I love it. But again, I'm not the most technical fighter, and I will admit I play it a lot mainly because I can have my son play with me. For <$10? Go for it, it's a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
What are the main differences between UIV and V? The negatives about 5 I’ve heard revolve around the season passes and DLC, but I haven’t heard too much about what separates them gameplay-wise which is what I’m more curious about. I played IV a tiny bit when it first came out on 360, but never got to play UIV. But if it’s truly that much better when it comes to gameplay, I should probably switch to it and not waste time playing the inferior version.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been a combination of busy and not feeling up to posting much.

The main difference between the two is the core system they're built on. The V-Gauge/Skill system you're used to in V isn't present in IV. Instead IV has the Focus system and the Revenge Gauge/Ultra system. The Revenge Gauge is essentially just a Super Gauge that fills as you take damage, and Ultras are basically just alternate Super Combos that use the Revenge Gauge and do more damage the fuller it is.

Focus attacks are 3 stage chargeable attacks performed with MP+MK. They grant 1 hit super armor and can be canceled into from specials or dash canceled out of. They're primarily used for defensive purposes or combo extension.

Beyond that V was designed to be more offensive with changes to things like dashing (faster forwards, more punishable backs than in IV) and all sorts of various other changes like removing proximity normals, simplifying jump attacks and changing hitboxes.

It was nice they tried to make V more offense oriented but my preference is still for UIV because it feels tighter and deeper to me. And because I like zoning. IV has been accused of being a turtling game but people these days exaggerate anything that isn't full high pressure rushdown as turtling.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been a combination of busy and not feeling up to posting much.

The main difference between the two is the core system they're built on. The V-Gauge/Skill system you're used to in V isn't present in IV. Instead IV has the Focus system and the Revenge Gauge/Ultra system. The Revenge Gauge is essentially just a Super Gauge that fills as you take damage, and Ultras are basically just alternate Super Combos that use the Revenge Gauge and do more damage the fuller it is.

Focus attacks are 3 stage chargeable attacks performed with MP+MK. They grant 1 hit super armor and can be canceled into from specials or dash canceled out of. They're primarily used for defensive purposes or combo extension.

Beyond that V was designed to be more offensive with changes to things like dashing (faster forwards, more punishable backs than in IV) and all sorts of various other changes like removing proximity normals, simplifying jump attacks and changing hitboxes.

It was nice they tried to make V more offense oriented but my preference is still for UIV because it feels tighter and deeper to me. And because I like zoning. IV has been accused of being a turtling game but people these days exaggerate anything that isn't full high pressure rushdown as turtling.

Thank you, that is very helpful. Really appreciate it, man.

I’ve also heard the combos are a bit more canned or restrictive in V, eh?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Maximilian Dood has been doing a Ken origins playthrough on his twitch stream. Watching him play the arcade mode on Super Turbo makes me feel a bit better about myself. That AI is just ridiculous.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
For the most part combos in V are some of the shortest in the series with increased damage and easier execution. I definitely find the combos in 3S, A2, A3 and IV more fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.